Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Buy a Evga Gtx 570 or Xfx 6970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2011 10:15:44 PM

Hey guys I am soon doing an upgrade on my system. Currently I am using a low profile gts 450. I am also using an amd based system rocking a x4 970 at 3.85 ghz. I've noticed I can play alot of games nearly 30+ fps maxed depending on aa settings ect. My question is which video card should I get?

I eventually want to do a sli or crossfire based system later down the road and I hear you cannot sli with an amd cpu? So I would have to go crossfire, and also I want to use 3 monitors and I have to have 2 nvidia cards to do so, should I stick with amd and set myself up for a great crossfire system going with the 6970? I plan to play alot of Rift Planes of Telara, WoW Sc2 Crysis ect.

Please help me decide :) 

Best solution

a c 146 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 10:54:30 PM

IMO for your system it is better for you to go for 6970 if you want to crossfire later. if you want to SLI with AMD cpu they still can be done but you have to search for some old motherboard with nvidia chipset. all amd new boards using their own chipset so that's why SLI is pretty much dead for users that want to use latest cpu from amd.
January 23, 2011 11:13:35 PM

I heard you can flash the bios of a 6950 to a 6970 but they say they are shipping new versions of it soon and the new versions cannot be flashed to a 6970. Also I heard rumors of them experiencing damage to their cards such as artifacts on screen ect. I think it might be smart to not cut corners and get the official 6970, what you think? I can't order the card for another 5-10 days.
Score
Related resources
a c 146 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 11:36:12 PM

most of 6950 in the market now can be unlock into 6970 without too much problem but we have to remember this kind of thing is not always 100% working. if i do remember correctly some people have to lower their memory clock a bit since the unlock card cannot run 6970 memory clock in stable state unlike the original 6970. for me the chip was made into 6950 for a reason. btw you should be able to get performance very similar to 6970 if the unlock was successful even with memory downclock. but if you worried the card won't unlock successfully then just get 6970
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 11:44:28 PM

There is an alternate method for increased 6950 performance. There is a script that can be used to change the 6950 bios to unlock the artificially disabled shaders. There is no downside to doing this. No one has had issues with it.

It's not a 100% success rate, but if it doesn't work, you just flash your bios back to stock, or flip the switch to the backup. The memory is the only thing that is not the same on a 6950 and 6970. The script doesn't change the memory timings.
Score
January 24, 2011 1:55:16 PM

I think I am actually just going for the genuine 6970 and later I will upgrade to a crossfire board and a x6 cpu with ddr3 ram and pick up another card if they fall in price any over the next few months. I debated the performance of it and looked at alot of benchmarks and it seems like its not worth the complete overhaul to a i7 system when I can keep alot of my components and rock a crossfire 6970 system that will destroy any game i throw at it stretched across 3 monitors.
Score
January 24, 2011 2:44:17 PM

Holy wall of text batman. I can see its possible and that's pretty cool. Still though I am more of a light builder and player, not much for teching stuff out and modding files and stuff, I think I will still stick with the 6970 choice, I seen em in crossfire on youtube and honestly I don't care which ones get 150 fps or 180, I just want a consistent 60 fps in my games, I dont need to show everyone my benchmarks, I still use ddr2 ram lol. I just like to play :D 
Score
January 24, 2011 2:45:05 PM

if i would be you i would get gtx 570 it has physx and directx11,however hd 6970 is also a good choice,but i personally love nvidia:D ,so i would always recommend nvidia.Because its the way its meant to be PLayed.!!!
Score
January 24, 2011 2:48:21 PM

I have a gts 450 I will keep around for a physx card, i've honestly used both brands before and never had trouble with either besides the ati series of the agp days, but those cards suck imo. The way I figure it is I cant go wrong with either choice and the eye infinity 6 monitors on 1 card is what sold me. Also I hear they are preforming pretty good in the 6900 series and they don't even have complete mature drivers yet, so there might even be more performance to be unlocked. Both cards will do what I want them to do, and in crossfire or sli there isn't really anything that can stop them for the casual gamer.
Score
a c 146 U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 3:01:01 PM

Quote:
I take it you've never heard of the SLI hack. It works on AMD chipsets for SLI

http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?conte...

lol i know that. :D  . but sometimes some people just don't want to complicate things that should be easy in the first place :) 
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 4:52:53 PM

I went from a 470 setup to a 6970, and I definitely prefer the new setup. You should be happy with it.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 7:11:02 PM

Quote:
Thats a terrible upgrade. 6970 is only like a 13% faster card

It wasn't meant as an "upgrade", it was meant as a, "I hate the *bleep*ing card!" change.

I also gained MLAA and a better SSAA.
Score
January 25, 2011 5:48:54 AM

Which one should I get though? The power color one has a neat graphic on it with a big guy with a sword o: but the xfx one is.... well xfx. Which one has the better goodies that come with it? Should I go for the vietnam edition first? Or is it all flash.. why can they put something on top of the card that says something cool like 6970.. like the gtx 570s have on the top of their cards, they look rather sweet in your case.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 11:44:14 PM

ArchAngelAlien said:
Which one should I get though? The power color one has a neat graphic on it with a big guy with a sword o: but the xfx one is.... well xfx. Which one has the better goodies that come with it? Should I go for the vietnam edition first? Or is it all flash.. why can they put something on top of the card that says something cool like 6970.. like the gtx 570s have on the top of their cards, they look rather sweet in your case.

Once it's in your system, you won't likely see any difference. The card faces down, so the graphics aren't visible even with a clear case. As far as the special editions go, does it offer anything you want and do not get from the normal editions? If not, forget about it. XFX does offer a good warranty, so you may want to weigh that into your decision, otherwise, go with the lower costing solution.
Score
February 3, 2011 10:16:28 PM

Best answer selected by ArchAngelAlien.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 9:13:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!