Help My Buy: Features More Important than Megapixels

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 13, 2005 3:07:30 PM

Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
resolution, memory, etc.?

I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.

I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?
February 13, 2005 3:11:58 PM

I forgot to mention that I use MacOS 9.2.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:28:12 PM

I think 2Mpixel is too small for anything above 5"x7" prints. Go for
4Mpixel minimum and you can enlarge even portions of the photo to 8x10.

Look-for features:

Spot metering
Manual control of f/stop and/or shutter speed
Remote control shutter release (so you don't have to run after pressing
the timer delay!)
Lots of photos per battery (many AA-powered cameras run thru batteries
in a heartbeat, scarcely getting 50 photos per charge, whereas other
cameras get 350 photos per charge -- Canon G series using Canon
proprietary battery is an example).

CF memory is cheaper to get than SD memory.
February 13, 2005 5:36:34 PM

canon A75 should meet your needs. Go to Dpreview and check out the feature
search buyers guide and make sure you tell it to include discontinued
cameras

Wayne

"Ben" <spamblam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
> for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
> this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
> resolution, memory, etc.?
>
> I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.
>
> I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
> have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
> for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
> high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 11:54:17 PM

> Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
> for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
> this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
> resolution, memory, etc.?
>
> I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.
>
> I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
> have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
> for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
> high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?

Maybe more like 5 megapixels. You can get some fairly nice 5 megapixel NOS
(new old stock) cameras for not much $$$... I've seen the Olympus C5000 for
$199 a few times. Lots of manual features, reasonable build quality (not a
toy).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 11:54:18 PM

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
>>for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
>>this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
>>resolution, memory, etc.?
>>
>>I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.
>>
>>I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
>>have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
>>for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
>>high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?
>

> Maybe more like 5 megapixels. You can get some fairly nice 5 megapixel NOS
> (new old stock) cameras for not much $$$... I've seen the Olympus C5000 for
> $199 a few times. Lots of manual features, reasonable build quality (not a
> toy).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I'd also back the NOS approach.

The camera which started at $500 and worked its way down to $100's
probably got a nicer lens than one designed for a $99 tag.

I got a old-stock Rollei D330 (apparently, I'm the only one in the
English speaking world)-- a late 2002 model which had worked down to
99.95 by Dec. 2004. I've been very happy with the macro capabilities
(by the docs, down to 6cm)-- the battery life's not world-beating, but
my AA NiMHs are low rated (1500 or perhaps 1800 mah), and I leave it for
days at a time idle.

If I were to reinvent it, I'd lengthen the zoom (only 2x), and add some
manual controls (it has a "open +xx or -xx stops wider" and range,
however, I can't see any way to specify a shutter speed)

My intentions were similar-- my work's primarily for the screen, I don't
need massive pixel totals. I was probably going to get a Canon A60 had
I not seen the Rollei for (at the time) USD 50 less.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:12:16 AM

Ben wrote:
> Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
> for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
> this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
> resolution, memory, etc.?
>
> I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.
>
> I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
> have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
> for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
> high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?

You might check into the Kodak DX7440. Some manual controls, 4X optical
zoom, and 4 mp. Lithium ion battery, docking station, and SD/MMC cards.
32 meg internal memory. You can do burst shots, etc. Several cameras
from other manufacturers also have similar features. Choose the one
that best fits your hand.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

wilt wrote:
> I think 2Mpixel is too small for anything above 5"x7" prints. Go for
> 4Mpixel minimum and you can enlarge even portions of the photo to 8x10.
>
> Look-for features:
>
> Spot metering
> Manual control of f/stop and/or shutter speed
> Remote control shutter release (so you don't have to run after pressing
> the timer delay!)
Run? My camera gives me 10 seconds. I get bored waiting for it...

> Lots of photos per battery (many AA-powered cameras run thru batteries
> in a heartbeat, scarcely getting 50 photos per charge, whereas other
> cameras get 350 photos per charge -- Canon G series using Canon
> proprietary battery is an example).

Hummm. I get about 250 shots (with reasonable review in the LCD) from
my camera that uses 2 AA NIMH batteries... Some cameras do seem to eat
batteries.

> CF memory is cheaper to get than SD memory.

Not much, these days. I have seen 1 gb SD cards for $30.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:28:22 AM

In article <1108325250.001285.307380@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, Ben
<spamblam@hotmail.com> writes
>Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
>for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
>this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
>resolution, memory, etc.?
>
>I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.
>
>I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
>have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
>for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
>high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?

You might consider something like an Epson PhotoPC 800. This is a well
built 2.1 Megapixel camera that came out in 1999 and sold for about
$500. It takes Compact Flash cards and has a lens (non zoom) equivalent
to 38mm in 35mm terms. It will focus down to .15 metre in macro mode and
has fairly extensive manual overides. Standard resolution is 1600x1200
but it has a "HyPict" mode that gives an interpolated 1984x1444 pixels.
These resolutions are more than adequate for Web work.

I purchased one on ebay recently for the sterling equivalent of $38
(including postage) and have been very impressed by the results.

The chief disadvantage is that it is slow by modern standards but this
applies to most of the cameras of that era. Other nags are the small and
fiddly lock button on the mode dial and the short battery life if the
LCD is used heavily (about 100 pictures). This increases to 850 if you
use the optical viewfinder: these are Epson figures.

The Epson software comes in both Windows and Mac versions and the
program Photo!3 allows control of the camera through software.
Connection can be either serial or USB which is unusual in a camera of
that age. There are also proper printed manuals in English for both the
camera and the software.

I suggest you do a search on Google for "Epson PhotoPC 800 review" and
see what the independent observers thought of the camera when it first
came on the market.

Personally, my view is that for 7.5% of the original price they are now
a good buy for somebody wanting to sample digital photography. At this
sort of price you can hardly go wrong!

--
David Wright
Anonymous

In article <1108325250.001285.307380@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
spamblam@hotmail.com says...
> Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
> for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
> this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
> resolution, memory, etc.?
>
> I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.
>
> I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
> have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
> for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
> high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?

You could buy yourself a nice Canon 10D for about $1,000. You'd get a
lot better quality, ease of use and you might find yourself forgoing
35mm film at certain times.

I know I did.

Other options would include a Canon A75 or it's Nikon equivalent which
aren't too pricey. If you want more features, the Canon G-series has
more manual control and a decent feature set. I used the Canon G2 for a
magazine cover and some product shots - I liked that little camera quite
a lot.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

On 13 Feb 2005 12:07:30 -0800, "Ben" <spamblam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi. I want to buy a digital camera for Web work. I have a 35MM camera
>for print work, so I don't need to print high-quality photos. I think
>this means I don't need to pay for more than 2 megapixels. What about
>resolution, memory, etc.?
>
>I'd prefer some features: manual overrides and macro, for example.
>
>I'm not finding what I want online: most cameras with features also
>have many megapixels and carry a high price tag. I don't want to pay
>for 6 megapixels. Maybe what I want is something that would have been
>high-end a few years ago, when 3 megapixels was high-end....?

Maybe a Canon Powershot A75?

A friend of mine got one, she says it has macro and manual features. I
think it is 3 megapixels.

Don't knock 3 megapixels for web work... it can come in handy to be
able to crop in drastically.

Or consider a good quality used 3-4 megapixel camera. Maybe Olympus
C-3030 (great camera, sturdy and reliable), or an older Nikon.

Cynthia
!