Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Dell Dimension 9200 Motherboard and CPU

Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2012 4:32:11 AM

Hello,
A friend of mine said that I can upgrade my current Dell Dimension 9200. I'm running Win 7 prof 64 bit, Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz, 4gb ram and a 1g NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT. Not sure the motherboard I have I know dxdiag says Dell DXP061 Bios: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS version 1.10 2.5.3, not sure if this helps.

I am looking to get a new mobo/cpu bundle from tigerdirect, possibly an asus, I would like at least a quad 3.1 or 3.3GHz but am not sure what would fit in my case. Or....can I buy a barebones kit and put my harddrive and other components from my 9200 into it. I will also be upgrading my PSU since the 375 that is installed wouldn't be able to support the new mobo/cpu. Any guidance would be appreciated.
March 8, 2012 4:37:17 AM

Any help?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 2:55:39 PM

I would go the barebones route and take your peripherals out. One thing you have to be aware of is your connectors (like hard drive, CD being IDE and new mobo being SATA). It looks like it used SATA components, but double check before you pull the trigger. You'll definitely need new RAM with the new mobo/CPU combo. Also check video (is it onboard or discrete? AGP or PCI-e? etc).

As long as the pieces parts all fit, then go for it. If it looks like you have over half your gear is incompatible, buy all new. You'll get faster components that run on newer technologies that will outdo anything in a prebuilt system.
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:27:31 AM

Thank you for your reply Scottie, I will def look into this further before making any moves. It is promising to know that I might be able to work with what I have....then again, you make a darn good case to just go new.
m
l
!