Help upgrading

G

Hi there. I'm looking to upgrade my PC, so that it can play some newer games out (I'd quite like to be able to run skyrim when it comes out). I'm not too fussed about the graphics, If I can run a game on low-mid settings at a smooth framerate I'd be happy.. I mainly want to upgrade for gaming, but I also use DAW's and DJ using MIDI controllers, so improving the latency a bit would be ideal.

At the minute I have:
Intel Core 2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz
2 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS

I'm not certain what wattage my power supply is, but I'm aware it'll likely need upgrading as I start to change components.

And my mobo's specs can be found here:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=22640

I've read about, and it looks like the Q6600 is a good bet to upgrade the processor with, without breaking the bank too much, but what else do you think is neccesary, and also, what should I upgrade first to improve performance? (since it'll be done over time).

Cheers for your time :)

1. Upgrade to a 64-bit operating system if you don't already have it.
2. Upgrade to 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM.
The above two steps should be done at the same time.

As to your CPU upgrade, make absolutely sure you have the correct board revision number to accept the Q6600 CPU. From the page you linked, click the "Find Compatible Processors" link. For the Q6600 and Q6700 it lists a minimum board revision (D41694-207 or later).

On the chart, the "Compatible Board Revision" heading is a link -- click it. That will bring up a new window or tab. Scroll down and it will tell you how to find out your board's revision number so you can see if it will work with a Q6600 or Q6700 CPU. If it's an earlier revision, you'll have to settle for a lesser CPU.

G

Hmmm. Since I don't have the box for the motherboard (the computer came pre-built), is there any other way to find out the AA number without taking apart my computer? Also, cheers, I think I'l take your advice on the 4GB of ram and upgrading to a 64 bit Windows 7.

Also, would you say my graphics card is fine for the time being? Or is it just a lot less important.

Sorry for the noobish questions, and cheers for your help.

G

Managed to find the number on my motherboard, its D41694-306, so since its D41694-207 or higher to run I think I'm sorted : )

So basically, upgrade RAM+OS, then Processor, then the Graphics Card last?