Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[SOLVED] Is My CPU Toast?

Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2011 4:15:58 PM

Here's the story... The computer was running Windows XP, and my friend wanted to try using Skype. So I dug out a headset (pink & green 3.5mm plugs), and plugged it into the front panel audio ports. The instant I plugged in the mic, the computer shutdown and hasn't turned on since.

After opening the computer, I saw that the plastic connector for the case's front audio ports was melted (apparently it shorted...). Can this destroy my CPU?

Here's my troubleshooting:
I unplugged the melted connector, pushed the power button, but there was no response; no fans spinning, no beeps, no display. All I get is a green LED on the motherboard, telling me there's power to the board, and a red LED when I hit the power button, telling me theres power going to the RAM slots (I checked the MoBo's Product Guide, because I always thought a red LED was a bad sign) I tried replacing the power supply (quickest, cheapest, easiest thing to try), but that wasn't the issue. I tried replacing the motherboard and got the fans to spin, but no display or boot. With both boards, I tried taking out all the RAM (just to see if I can make it beep), but still no response. The only component thats left is the CPU...

I figured I should ask you guys before I shell out $130 on a new processor.

Heres the specs:
Intel Pentium D Processor (not sure of the specifics, but its LGA775)
Old Board: Intel DQ965GF
New Board: Asus P5G41-M LX2 GB
2GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram
EVGA GeForce 9600GT (PCIe)
500W Antec Earthwatts Power Supply
Antec Sonata III 500 Case

More about : solved cpu toast

Best solution

March 29, 2011 6:43:10 AM

get new CPU looks like your overdue for one anyway
April 8, 2011 7:52:29 PM

Turns out the board was destroyed. The reason the new motherboard didn't work was because the Pentium D wasn't supported. I just wound up getting a Pentium Dual Core, to fit the new board(and some bigger RAM sticks because the new board only has 2 RAM slots) and that fixed the problem.
m
l
April 18, 2011 4:30:58 AM

Best answer selected by eaturbrainz.
m
l
!