Solved

[SOLVED] Is My CPU Toast?

Here's the story... The computer was running Windows XP, and my friend wanted to try using Skype. So I dug out a headset (pink & green 3.5mm plugs), and plugged it into the front panel audio ports. The instant I plugged in the mic, the computer shutdown and hasn't turned on since.

After opening the computer, I saw that the plastic connector for the case's front audio ports was melted (apparently it shorted...). Can this destroy my CPU?

Here's my troubleshooting:
I unplugged the melted connector, pushed the power button, but there was no response; no fans spinning, no beeps, no display. All I get is a green LED on the motherboard, telling me there's power to the board, and a red LED when I hit the power button, telling me theres power going to the RAM slots (I checked the MoBo's Product Guide, because I always thought a red LED was a bad sign) I tried replacing the power supply (quickest, cheapest, easiest thing to try), but that wasn't the issue. I tried replacing the motherboard and got the fans to spin, but no display or boot. With both boards, I tried taking out all the RAM (just to see if I can make it beep), but still no response. The only component thats left is the CPU...

I figured I should ask you guys before I shell out $130 on a new processor.

Heres the specs:
Intel Pentium D Processor (not sure of the specifics, but its LGA775)
Old Board: Intel DQ965GF
New Board: Asus P5G41-M LX2 GB
2GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram
EVGA GeForce 9600GT (PCIe)
500W Antec Earthwatts Power Supply
Antec Sonata III 500 Case
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about solved toast
  1. Best answer
    get new CPU looks like your overdue for one anyway
  2. Turns out the board was destroyed. The reason the new motherboard didn't work was because the Pentium D wasn't supported. I just wound up getting a Pentium Dual Core, to fit the new board(and some bigger RAM sticks because the new board only has 2 RAM slots) and that fixed the problem.
  3. Best answer selected by eaturbrainz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems