I5 2500k - worth oc'ing past 5ghz?

qwerty123456

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
So I'm at 4.6ghz with ~1.34 vcore

Is it worth overclocking to or above 5ghz? Will I be substantially lowering the life of my cpu?
Will there be a noticeable performance increase?

Right now I have decent temps, nothing gets past 50C except for prime blend.

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Try OCCT linpack to see where your temps get.

If you have reasonable therms (maximum of like 85 degrees Celsius in linpack) I wouldn't worry about it. It'll never hit anything near that temp in real world situations and it's not like you're running at that temp or voltage 24 hours a day. You should be using c-states and C1E so your CPU will throttle down when you're not gaming.

Performance increase depends on the application. Something like SETI@Home or Einstein@Home would definitely benefit from every MHz you can possibly get out of it. Games will stop benefiting at a certain point, when the CPU is no longer the limiting factor -- but that depends on the rest of your setup.

For E-peen, yes it's worth it.

I thought I read 'many' 2500k cpus have stability issues going higher than 46x multiplier, regardless of core voltage....; being able to POST is one thing, booting into Windows and running Prime95 is another important step, but, biggest of all, being able to play a game without crashing back to desktop is quite another....

If unstable, what is the point?