mrrul3z

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
hey guyz, i just bought this system a couple days back.
i was curious to see the the temperature my cpu works on.
when idling the temp is around 40-45 C. (no air conditioning, ambitent temp might b around 30)
but when i played counter strike source on it the temps went as high as 50-60.
this made me kinda worried coz i thought it isn't really a heavy game and my cpu gets hot very early.
then i searched around a bit. downloaded primark95. ran the tests on 100% load. after twenty minutes this was the result. avg temp = 73, (71,76,73,71)
so i would like to ask if it is normal. this is my first rig so i was kinda worried.
during my search i also got to know that if cpu remains too hot it affects is lifespan. so r these temps going to be a problem?
anything else iam missing?
p.s. the temps returned back to 40 a couple of minutes after i stopped the test

i've got an i5 2300
thermaltake v3 casing.
stock cooler.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Yeah nothing to worry about with those temps. CPU can run anything up to about 80-90 and the same goes for the GPU. Although ideally you want to be around 60-70 CPU temps, and 70-80 GPU temps. Generally this can be achieved or minimised with any aftermarket cooling :)

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
isnt primark a shop? them temps are fine, if your worried turn the fan up to 100% by disabling a setting in bios, usually called smart fan control or similar, its usually in the section where cpu temp is in bios.

mrrul3z

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
r u guyz sure? coz one of my friend said that my cpu is on fire. thes ships (32nm) run real cool and reach only 60C on maximum load. would their anything be wrong with th heatsink or thrmal pste?
or if u do have sandy pridge cpu pl kindly post ur temps too

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I have the i5-2500k and i idle at about 35-40 degree's in a room temperature of about 22-25 degrees. When gaming for a few hours my CPU temps to up to around 55-60 with GPU temps running as high as 75 on very demanding games. Unless your seeing 80+ degree's i wouldnt even worry about it.

mrrul3z

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

did u overclock ur cpu?
and r u using stock cooler?

mrrul3z

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
one thing that i didn't mention was that when i play games temps go upto 60C within 2 min. but i play games on integreated gpu for now coz i did't have enough money to buy a gpu.
so is this temp rise coz integrated hd 200 is being used to its maximum capacity?

satyamdubey

Distinguished

do not worry...your cpu temps are fine....I have an i5 2400 and it mostly idles between high 30s and low 40s. Using IGD, will post higher temps. Peak load performance of 76C is still about 28C lower than the threshold for sandybridges (that being 104C). Intel people say that any temp below 75C averaged on very high load (all cores) is good cpu performance (as is your case).
You may still run IPDT (download from intel site) and check things out for yourself...although all is good with your install, IPDT run will do your confidence a lot of good...happy gaming :)