Galaxy geforce 8400gs 1024mb ddr3

marc_2094

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
i bought a video card it's a galaxy geforce 8400gs 1gb. my first question is, is it a low profile video card?? i need a low profile video card because of the limitation of my desktop pc, hp slimline s5390d.
the video card says that it needs a power supply of 300W or greater but when i checked my pc's specs, it says that it has only 220W. what should i do??? if i need a psu, can you give me some options to choose from?? pls help me :D

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
You should be able to visually tell if it's a low-profile card. According to NewEgg that card is "low profile ready" which to me says that it doesn't come with the low-profile back plate. Pictures on NewEgg seem to confirm this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162053&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-Galaxy-_-14162053

Here's a list of other cards that are actually low-profile...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600038363&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

As far as your power supply goes, you're really going to be cutting it close by adding a video card (of any kind) to your system. You'll want to make sure your PC uses a standard size power supply before just assuming you'll be able to upgrade it.

We can't tell if the card is low profile without a model number, but many 8400s are.

It should run OK with 220 watts as long as you don't have extra hard drives or DVD drives in your system.

Shouldn't you be asking these things BEFORE you bought the card ttough?

marc_2094

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
so 220watts is fine? weeeeeee :D
yeah that was my mistake because before i don't know about those power supply thing and i just know that i should buy a low profile card.

a question again (sorry for many questions :D):
is galaxy geforce 8400gs (1024mb ddr3) a good one that can let me play warcraft and games just like those?

8400gs is not a very good gaming card at all, but you will be able to play WoW, probably on low settings depending on the resolution. Anything over 1024x768 will need Low settings, but that is also based on the rest of your system. You will see some heavy drops in frame rates in crowded areas, and especially in the new Cata areas. The steps you needed to take for future note, is to post in the systems or general video section, post your full system specs, what you want to upgrade and ask if it will run so and so game. Then head out and look for things to buy. Right now if you exepct to have pretty flashy things in games running a 8400, you will not be happy with it. But you also won't be able to run anything higher without upgrading yoru power supply, and probably some other parts like RAM or CPU.