Video Card Upgrade question

MeneTheMad

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I am debating upgrading my video card, as my current card is on the lower end of the system requirements of a game coming up soon that I plan to play (Rift).

My current setup is a http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2743#ov motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz, 4gb pc1066 memory, 8800 GTS512 card, and a 650W Corsair power supply.

I was looking at one of the EVGA GTX460's, but was told the 560's come out this week, and to look at those. However, 2 concerns were mentioned to me.
First, my PCIe slot is an x16 1.0. I have read that the 2.0 cards are backwards compatible, and the only issue would be a slight loss of the card's potential performance. True?
Also, I was told my CPU might struggle with a 460/560, is this true?

I'm a novice when it comes to the tech. I am not chasing the meanest machine out here, nor looking to set any benchmark records. I just want good, solid, problem free performace, if it's attainable...heh.

Thanks in advance

MeneTheMad

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I never noticed that, as I mentioned...novice, so I guess that aleviates one concern. Now for the second concern, is there any reason that CPU/Mobo setup I have would have trouble with a 460/560? I believe my power is sufficient, should there be any other concerns? Or just order and enjoy?

nice, they come out tomorrow huh? Im interested to see how they stack up they should be a great value (gtx 560)

That's good to know so thanks for that, I won't be jumping on them straight away as I want to give it a little while for the hype and (hopefully) prices to come down a bit but if it turns out that the e8400 can't cope then I'll have an excuse to build a new rig around an SB CPU. :whistle: :lol:

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010

Do it. I confess today my wifes new PC parts come and it is a 2500K despite her current build being ok. The e8400 and GTX460 work well atm but I can say it is defiantely on the edge of its life for games and FPS (especially MMOs) I think being dual core is starting to tell its toll.
With new games coming out this year I believe her current PC will start to lag - certainly in Rift beta she was having laggy moments (of course the game is in beta so not yet perfected for performance, but it was a good enough excuse for me to buy a new PC to build!)