Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade suggestions

Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2011 10:24:11 PM

Greetings everyone! I have a system with the following specifications, its is about a year and a half old.

Cpu: athlon ii x4 620

Graphics: ati 5850

psu: coolermaster extreme power plus 600w ATX 12V, V2.3, 20/24pin

Case: antect 900 mid tower

Motherboard: crossfirex, ga-ma785gmt-ud2h

RAM: 4gb gskill ddr3-1333

HD: WD 1TB SATA2, 7200 RPM

*I was looking at Phenom ii x4 955 BE's, and Phenom ii x6 for possible cpu upgrades and I was wondering if there would be any potential compatibility problems with my current parts, as well as if I need to upgrade my psu as well. More importantly, I was wondering if that cpu upgrade jump will be worth the money in terms of gaming performance.

*Any relevant upgrade suggestions would also be welcome. I am pretty happy still with my system, considering it is aging. I've recently finished Crysis and Crysis Warhead at 1920*1080 at high settings and gamer settings respectively. I've only needed to scale to medium settings on Crysis towards the end where it became quite laggy for my tastes.

More about : upgrade suggestions

a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2011 11:03:11 PM

Shame you didn't get at least a 790X board. Well, my suggestion would be to just get a good aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock your CPU. Just follow an Athlon II or Phenom II overclocking guide and you'll be fine. The performance difference from your Athlon II 620 and a 955BE at stock clocks won't be that great. Even though a Phenom II X4 or X6 BE would be a decent upgrade I'm not sure it's worth it for you with Bulldozer looming and overclocking potential still in your current Athlon II.

Overclock your CPU, and get an AM3+ crossfire board when they are available latter this year so you can add a second 5850. Well, that's what I would do in your case.
m
l
March 28, 2011 11:10:42 PM

SergeantNoob said:
Greetings everyone! I have a system with the following specifications, its is about a year and a half old.

Cpu: athlon ii x4 620

Graphics: ati 5850

psu: coolermaster extreme power plus 600w ATX 12V, V2.3, 20/24pin

Case: antect 900 mid tower

Motherboard: crossfirex, ga-ma785gmt-ud2h

RAM: 4gb gskill ddr3-1333

HD: WD 1TB SATA2, 7200 RPM

*I was looking at Phenom ii x4 955 BE's, and Phenom ii x6 for possible cpu upgrades and I was wondering if there would be any potential compatibility problems with my current parts, as well as if I need to upgrade my psu as well. More importantly, I was wondering if that cpu upgrade jump will be worth the money in terms of gaming performance.

*Any relevant upgrade suggestions would also be welcome. I am pretty happy still with my system, considering it is aging. I've recently finished Crysis and Crysis Warhead at 1920*1080 at high settings and gamer settings respectively. I've only needed to scale to medium settings on Crysis towards the end where it became quite laggy for my tastes.

PSU is sufficient
Don't get an X6, wait for bulldozer or get an X4
You may wan't a new Motherboard as well.
m
l
March 28, 2011 11:43:55 PM

megamanx00 said:
Shame you didn't get at least a 790X board. Well, my suggestion would be to just get a good aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock your CPU. Just follow an Athlon II or Phenom II overclocking guide and you'll be fine. The performance difference from your Athlon II 620 and a 955BE at stock clocks won't be that great. Even though a Phenom II X4 or X6 BE would be a decent upgrade I'm not sure it's worth it for you with Bulldozer looming and overclocking potential still in your current Athlon II.

Overclock your CPU, and get an AM3+ crossfire board when they are available latter this year so you can add a second 5850. Well, that's what I would do in your case.

What would be the difference in performance in terms of different motherboards? This was my first build, and I only researched the cpu and gpu, trusted ncix staff for other parts =( Also, the entry level bulldozer sports a quad core, and a hexa core, any news on pricing yet?
m
l
!