Budget gaming build, some questions

crossedoutt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
29lbhaw.jpg

I really wanted a good CPU and video card, so I had to skimp on other things. I have a few questions pretaining to those other things:

- My motherboard is MicroATX, and a cheap one at that. What features should I be expecting to not have in comparison to a $100 ATX mobo? I don't really mess with OCing and other complex features that much, although I do plan on eventually OCing. As for upgrading, I don't really intend on upgrading anything except for adding an aftermarket CPU fan and maybe buy 2x4 ram sticks. Does everything fit and work well together?

- My monitor had to be toned down like $20 to fit within my budget. I see that the recommended resolution is 1600 x 800 or so, while my old monitor I had in mind was 1900~ x 1080. What differences should I look out for?

Can you please check for compatibility / any forseeable problems I might have with my current parts. I also realize I have a pretty expensive case for a budget build, but I just took a look at the case and I fell in love. I just have to have it =D.

Thanks in advance.

Dyers Eve

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
matx boards usually have 2 RAM slots and fewer PCI/PCIe expansion slots opposed to 4 RAM slots on an ATX board. Your board comes with 4 RAM slots but 2 of them are DDR2 and 2 are DDR3, that's weird I don't even know how that works. I don't think you can use all 4 slots at the same time but I'm not exactly sure. That board also only supports 4 USB rear panel slots, so make sure that is enough.

I really, really recommend you find $20 and upgrade to a 22" or 21.5" monitor. The monitor is what you will be staring at after all, not the parts :)

Missing an OS but it looks good to me.

Dyers Eve

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
The resolution. 1600x900 vs 1920x1080. Feel free to lower your current resolution down a notch and see how it compares. Also an extra 2 inches means a lot of screen real estate for doing general stuff. Things like viewing two web pages at once, having enough room for a side bar showing teamspeak/ventrilo/instant messenger. 1080 also gives you true HD for movies and such. You can also hop into bestbuy or any computer retail store and see the differences for yourself.