constant traffic

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I seem to have developed a problem on my dialup. I have almost constant inbound activity. This prob started yesterday. The problem continues even after Iexplorer is shut down. I have checked and checked for any possible automatic downloads. I never turn them on to begin with. I have gone through Spybot, adaware, and virus checking all with the newest updates. I have been through task mgr. looking to see what is active. No luck there. Im running XP and IE 6 and I want to upgrade but I had to end up dumping 150 megs of the SP2 while trying to find out if DAP was doing it to me. That sucked. Im pretty well out of ideas. Is there a way to find out what is coming in or where it is headed, hopefully for free. Or is there anyone with suggestions on WTF I should do next? Im surfin in the bath tub here.

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

sturm

Splendid
get zone alarm or some other firewall and have it running before you hook up to the internet. it shouls come up with warning when ever something tries to get out or in from the internet.

riser

Illustrious
If you have Automatic Updates on you may have it set to download the updates then nofity you. Double check that under control panel. You can have it set to notify you of updates then download. It might be set to download and install or download and nofity when ready to install.
If you didn't find any viruses (with updated antivirus definitions) I'll bet it's the automatic updates.

Riser

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I forgot to mention I have win autoupdate turned completely off. I am looking into zone alarm now. Will zone alarm help me with finding out where the info is heading? Im not what one would call network saavy. So I guess as per my monoker I am the last one to know something. Damn it

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
When the computer boots you should get into a command prompt (start > run > cmd) and run the command netstat -a. That will show all the connections into and out of your machine.

---
I want my epitaph to be: "Moved to /dev/null"

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
You can get some packet-sniffing software that will tell you all the information you could want about your network. There are tonnes of options, just search for packet sniffer in Google. Run that, check out where most of the packets are coming from, and go from there.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Well I figured out what was going on. I got myself a packet sniffer and found that I accidentally hit the button to autoupdate SP2 instead of downloading it from the IT side to burn to a cd. well needless to say on a dialup that was a huge mistake. I never did figure out how to make the download stop so I had to let it run its course and then go back and download it again so that I could put it on the cd. Well things are better now. Thanks for all of the replys and dont be a moron like I was.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
You'd only be a moron if you let the computer beat you. At least you found out what was going on.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

mtfr

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
Could you please post the name or link to the application you used for checking the packets? Thanks.

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
http://www.itprodownloads.com/browseCategory/?startingIndex=1&queryCount=&platFormID=2

I dont know how to paste hyperlinks in this forum, so you'll have to paste it.
It is a prog call Comm View. You will find it under networking. Its a trial version but Ill tell you It worked great for me. I dont know near enough about networking but the user interface is easy to use. I think Im going to go ahead and buy it. I dont think it was much. There may even be a crack around somewhere for it. The site has many useful downloads. Many are trial versions but trying before buying is the only way to go.
By the way for those of you still on a dial up here is something I found on the Cablenut site that works real well. It makes for bigger waves while your surfing in the bath tub.
FOR FASTER WEB PAGE LOADING:

This tweak will help web pages load faster, it has no real effect on download speeds, just helps your pc look up websites faster thereby speeding up how fast the page loads and making websurfing more enjoyable.

Navigate to this registry entry and change the following settings:

For XP & 2K

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider

For 98, 98SE & ME

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\ServiceProvider

On the right for ALL OS's change these entries: (ALL values are HEXIDECIMAL)

Class - 1
DnsPriority - 1
HostsPriority - 1
LocalPriority - 1
NetbtPriority - 1

To change the value right mouse click on the value and select modify and enter the values above once you have done all of them reboot to take effect and see how fast your pages load.