Base ground Attack mode 0 1 2 3 4 5

Here is my understanding of how ground combat rules (whitout any formula),
Correct me if I'm wrong.

0 = Peaceful
1 = Roaming defense
2 = Deep ground patrols
3 = Attack and Run
4 = Crush Kill Destroy ( was called Kill Kill Kill in earlier version of
vgap 4)
5 = Capture

When 2 ground base at the same planet are at Peaceful (0) No combat.

When base A =0
base B = 1,2,3,4 or 5
Base B attack, Base A defend

When base A = 1,2,3,4 or 5
base B = 1,2,3,4,5
The base with the lower attack mode number Attack , the other base defend.

Example: Base A is in mode 2 (Deep Ground patrols), and Base B is in mode 4
(Crush Kill Destroy).
Base A will attack, Base B will rush back and suffer a penalty defending his
base.

When Base A and Base B have the same attack mode, the attacker is chosen at
random (50% your base will attack, 50% your base will rush back to defend
and suffer a penalty defending the base).

With latest host 193, in a real game.
I'm attacking many bases using Crush Kill Destroy VS Capture.
I'm attacking 50% of the time, and rushing back 50% of the time.

Special rules:

Mode 4 vs 5 have equal value for who attack first, the attacker is chosen at
random.

The Attack and Run ground attack setting blocks the Crush Kill Destroy
attack unless the race doing the Crush Kill Destroy
attack has twice the number (or more) of Troops or has twice the number ( or
more ) High Guard.
If the race with the Crush Kill Destroy mission is fielding twice the troops
or twice the High Guard the Attach and Run mission never happens.

Marshalling for the Attack
Before combat takes place, there is a Marshalling phase. It is during this
phase that all units that will be attacking enemy bases gather together.
Only a certain percentage of units, based upon the Base setting, will gather
for the attack. They are as follows:
Peaceful = None
Roaming Defense = 25% of Troops present
Deep Ground Patrol = 25% of Troops, Fighters, and Mechs present
Attack and Run = 90% of Troops, and 100% of Fighters and Mechs present
Crush Kill Destroy = 95% of Troops and Crew, and 100% of Fighters and Mechs
present
Capture = New mode Capture works very similiar to Crush Kill Destroy, Your
troops kill far less enemy colonists and take 3 times normal losses (They
will get more prisoners alive).

Concerning the "Rush back to defend" message
At the beginning of each combat where one of the participants is not on
Peaceful, all units to go on
the attack marshall. It is then randomly chosen which side is gains the
initiative. The other side will
then "rush back" to defend their base and will suffer the following
penalties:
All personnel take double damage From Mechs and Fighters and quadruple from
Personnel.
All personnel deal half damage to Mechs, Fighters, and Personnel.

Commonly Used Terms
Personnel = Troops, Crew, and Colonists (if applicable).
Mechs = Any Type 1, 2, or 3 Ground Unit.

Lord Lancelot

When base A = 1,2,3,4 or 5
base B = 1,2,3,4,5
The base with the lower attack mode number Attack , the other base
defend.

Not true (unless recent change to code I missed, Gabor could verify).
Who attacks and who defends is random. That is probably why you get
~50% of each in real game.

david_bandy@hotmail.com schrieb:
> When base A = 1,2,3,4 or 5
> base B = 1,2,3,4,5
> The base with the lower attack mode number Attack , the other base
> defend.
>

> Not true (unless recent change to code I missed, Gabor could verify).
> Who attacks and who defends is random. That is probably why you get
> ~50% of each in real game.

Ground combat happens as ordered queue of pair battles like this:

First host browses through all existing objects and search for planets
If a planet is found then it checks for all objects with the same x,y as
the former found planet. If there are at least two bases among theses
objects which belong to two different players which are at war due to
the settings in the ally menu then the ground combat routine is invoked
which will then work with the list of found bases on the given planet.

Notice that "at war" has nothing to do with the base attack plan but
only with the circumstance that at least one player has to be set
another as enemy in the ally menu (BTW: This is the reason that on a
peaceful Borg base the troop conversion take place even then if there
isn't any other base is hostile for this Borg base).

When a base is fighting against another then the whole fight itself
happens as an ordered queue of pair battles between the different types
of ground forces which will meet in the battle, for example troops
versus troops, fighters versus AAguns, ...

Due to the base mode and the attacker/defender role forces get some
penalties/ advantages. For example if mode 1 troops are the attacker
then they are allowed to kill the defender troops first and they attack
with 100% of the combat strength and dark force. If some of the defender
troops survive then they do their counter attack and but
only with 2/3 of the combat strength but with 200% of the dark force
compared to the attacker troops.

So the distinction in "attacker" and "defender" comes from the fact
always one base fights against all other bases and that in most cases
the attackers are allowed to kill at first. In my eyes this distinction
leads to more confusion than clarification.

So just ask:

How looks the combat of "force type X in base mode Y against force type
X in base mode Y?" and have in mind that

first all fights type X in base mode 1 against types X in base mode Y
then all fights type X in base mode 2 against types X in base mode Y
then all fights type X in base mode 3 against types X in base mode Y
then all fights type X in base mode 4 against types X in base mode Y
at last all fights type X in base mode 5 against types X in base mode Y

So the fights happen in base-base fights in two mayor loops:

The outer loop browses through the bases ordered by increasing base mode
and the inner loop browses through all hostile bases which come into
question for a fight against the base of the outer loop. And also have
in mind that first the bases of the inner loop are processed before a
next base of the outer loop is processed.

The starting base and the browsing direction for both loops are chosed
randomly and is calculated always new in the outer loop if the mode
changes in outer loop and is always calculated new in the inner loop if
the base changes in outer loop.

If I see it right then in most of the cases the bases of the outer loop
gets more advantages than penalties. This is the reason why they are
called as the attacker. Having this and the above mentioned in mind then
one may say

"Bases of lower base mode attack first." (The outer loop is ordered by
increasing base mode)

and

"In the case of only two hostile bases in same mode there is a 50-50
chance to attack first." (As the start in the outer loop for a fixed
base mode is choosed randomly)

GFM GToeroe