Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC does not boot. Motherboard dead?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2012 6:23:19 PM

Hello everyone.. just need to confirm on a problem... and maybe get any ideas.

Day before yesterday... my PC just won't boot at all. I press the start button, nothing at all.

The night before that, the PC was running without any problem. I had shut it down normally, and had even taken out the mains plug, before going to sleep. The next morning, I plugged it in (connected via UPS), and the PC just refused to boot at all.

I checked all connections. I then took out every bit of connection from all devices, including power chords too. On the 2*2 power connector on the motherboard, I noticed two of the contacts are a little black.. so, it seems like something might have happened there.

I hoped that just the SMPS might have gone bad. But, I swapped the SMPS from another PC.. and the PC still fails to boot. Does it mean for sure that the motherboard is dead, and my worst fear is confirmed?

I also tried shorting the power-on pins on motherboard manually, in case that the start switch might have gone bad.... but there too, no luck.

The small light on the motherboard comes on though, when the power is on. Considering that, is there any hope for the motherboard at all?

I am thinking of getting the motherboard checked at the shop, in case they can fix problems. Should I try, or is it gone for good?

I also haven't tried my SMPS to see if its working or not... did not want to fry motherboard of another PCs, just in case. I am thinking of getting it checked at the shop too.

Motherboard is Intel D915GAV, purchased in 2005 and the SMPS is of UMax... purchased two years ago... in case this information even matters.

Oh, and if the motherboard is dead, any possibility the processor might have survived?

And in case, I need to buy a new PC, I will need help on that too. Have queries in mind. Will ask them later on this forum, in another thread perhaps.

More about : boot motherboard dead

a c 435 V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 9:10:47 PM

A board that old can fail suddenly. Or the power supply. It's your choice which to try first, but the ps is cheaper and easier to change than than the motherboard.
Score
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 9:32:47 PM

One of my computers died - turned out to be cpu - go figure. Do you have access to a similar computer so that you can try parts? I tried srtipping down the computer, different PSU, RAM, then I bought a mobo. I did have a Q6600 "laying around" - tried it and found joy.
-Bruce
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 9:41:40 PM

I recently had a mothebroard die. I found that the pin 1 and adjacent pins on the CPU socket had burned up, also burning up my CPU. Luckily the CPU was a $70 triple core, but the mobo was $200. I rma'd the mobo since its under warranty.

I hate to say it but its quite possible both the mobo and PSU are fried. I certainly wouldn't trust that PSU with another motherboard. Considering the brand, I'd say that was a cheap power supply in the first place. And yes, by cheap I mean junk.

I'd get a new mobo and PSU. But if you're doing that, you may as well do a platform upgrade. Its a smart choice as you can't be sure other things won't fail soon as well. That system sure seems like its lived out its usefulness. Intel's new Pentium CPUs are impressive workhorses that won't break the bank. Like wise DDR3 ram is dirt cheap. I think you could do quite well with a $300US budget.
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 9:47:51 PM

Oh, regarding the CPU question, it certainly could have survived but seeing how its the CPU power (12V P4) that got fried its also possible the CPU may have become damaged. Lets say 50/50 chance.
Score
March 4, 2012 5:30:13 AM

o1die said:
A board that old can fail suddenly. Or the power supply. It's your choice which to try first, but the ps is cheaper and easier to change than than the motherboard.

Well, as I mentioned in my post earlier, I had tried a known good working power supply from other computer, and the computer still did not boot. So, I think problem is with motherboard.
Score
March 4, 2012 5:46:49 AM

dish_moose said:
One of my computers died - turned out to be cpu - go figure. Do you have access to a similar computer so that you can try parts? I tried srtipping down the computer, different PSU, RAM, then I bought a mobo. I did have a Q6600 "laying around" - tried it and found joy.
-Bruce

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a similar computer. If I had, would have tried parts from it.

I could access a working power supply, so I tried with it, but had no luck. The PC still would not boot. So, I guess there is problem with motherboard.

I had not taken out the CPU yet, so I did that yesterday. I opened the CPU, and when I took it out, I saw that the inner contacts of CPU socket on the motherboard were black, like a soot had formed over it. Although, it went away when I rubbed over it.. but I think the CPU might have got fried? The contacts on the CPU itself were clean though.

Anyways, still being positive, I cleaned around the CPU area, put new thermal paste, and again connected all devices etc... and tried to power on. No joy... the little light on the motherboard comes on... but otherwise, nothing happens on pressing power switch.

I think I can now say that the system is dead.
Score
March 4, 2012 6:07:43 AM

buzznut said:
I recently had a mothebroard die. I found that the pin 1 and adjacent pins on the CPU socket had burned up, also burning up my CPU. Luckily the CPU was a $70 triple core, but the mobo was $200. I rma'd the mobo since its under warranty.

I hate to say it but its quite possible both the mobo and PSU are fried. I certainly wouldn't trust that PSU with another motherboard. Considering the brand, I'd say that was a cheap power supply in the first place. And yes, by cheap I mean junk.

I guess on basis of my recent findings with the CPU, my CPU got fried too... although I am not sure, but it does seem that way.

I agree with you, and that's why I did not try the PSU on another computer... I did not want to take chances.
Yes, it was cheap. But, if I go for better power supplies, they are quite costly.

Indian markets are very typical. I don't know what's the state in other countries.. I would certainly like to know about there from you all. But here, if we go to buy PSU, then you will get 450 W PSUs for around 500-600 Rupees. There are no PSUs available for more than 450 W... for which I am quite surprised. I tried a lot to search for PSUs more than 450W ... in the mid range budget... but they are just not available.

So, if you want to get better PSUs, then they shoot up straight into the high budget range. So, you will get PSUs like Cooler Master for 2000 and more Rupees. That's quite a lot of difference. Most people cannot afford them, like me, and therefore, we have no other choice but to go for the low priced ones. They come with 2 year warranty at the most.

What's it like there?

buzznut said:
I'd get a new mobo and PSU. But if you're doing that, you may as well do a platform upgrade. Its a smart choice as you can't be sure other things won't fail soon as well. That system sure seems like its lived out its usefulness. Intel's new Pentium CPUs are impressive workhorses that won't break the bank. Like wise DDR3 ram is dirt cheap. I think you could do quite well with a $300US budget.

You are right, and again agree with you. If I have to buy a new mobo and PSU, I will go for upgraded PC. Anyways, it looks like the CPU has also fried, so, will have go to for a new PC. And the right thing to do is to go for the latest available.

Yes, I had bought the system in 2005, and it has certainly lived its usefulness.

I am thinking for going for Intel processors... was thinking of i5 processor. My brother was saying to buy i7, since its available now... but I think i7 is for really heavy use. I am not into gaming stuff, or, I don't do any heavy work either... I do convert videos sometimes, and do rip DVDs too... not much though. So, i5 would be good?

Also, I wanted to go for ATX mobos, since they can house more devices, so that is good for expansion. But, when I had last looked, Intel does not dish out ATX mobos anymore.. only microATX, or mini-ITX. So, I might have to look for other mobos.

Does Asus or Gigabyte have ATX boards? Are they good? Asus is good, or Gigabyte? I had asked someone and he said Asus boards are overpriced. Is that right?

I will soon go to the market, maybe tomorrow, to find out about getting new PC assembled. I might then open a new thread and ask in detail, regarding getting a new assembled PC. Meanwhile, if its OK, please reply to the above queries, so I can get a head start on things :) .

Thanks for all the replies.
Score
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 4, 2012 10:24:21 AM

The i5 with an Intel board will work fine, though Intel has fewer bios adjustments than some other brands. Asus or gigabyte? It's a toss up; depends on the model and features; go with brand new. For 1155 cpus, the z68 chipset is fine. And the non K series cpus are adequate for non overclockers. The 2500K is too expensive in some markets due to demand.
Score
March 4, 2012 1:58:23 PM

I did some lookup after reading your post.

Intel does have some ATX boards which I found in Media Series mobos. There are three of them : DZ68DB with Z68 chipset. The other two are DP67BA and DH67CL. They look good from their specifications.

DZ68DB supports 2nd Generation i7 processor : I7-2700K. It supports 2nd generation i5 processors, but with them, have to go for external graphics card.

With i5 processors(1st Generation)... there will be no need of graphics card.

I will go to market, and get an idea of whats available, and the price. I hope its in my budget.

Does anyone know why does Intel does not make much ATX mobos for the medium range?

Apart from Intel, Asus and Gigabyte, are there any other good mobo brands?
Score
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 4, 2012 2:44:05 PM

I use biostar, which may not be available in your market. They gave me fast rma service about 6 months ago, but again, may not be available in India. What you select may depend on your local parts availability and rma service, which may be non existent in India. Good luck. Intel makes a few atx boards, but they really aren't necessary for most folks. Go by the ports on the board; even a few evga boards offer sli for micro atx. Foxconn also worked for me; an amd board I bought from them had everything; spdi and hdmi ports; vga and dvi ports; try finding all those on the same board. They also answered all my tech support forms; sent me a new bios file, etc.
Score
March 4, 2012 3:49:50 PM

Thanks for your replies :) .

I think I will go and look in the market first, and then ask further questions. Would be good to start a new thread.
Score
March 4, 2012 4:57:32 PM

chek the cpu if its workin try to gat an LGA775 socket type mobo for you processor , it wont cost you much . otherwise go for an total upgrade if you have the budget.

here are is good config : amd FX 4100 + asus m5a88-14 mobo _ 4 gb ddr 3 will cost u under $ 280
Score
March 29, 2012 12:16:58 PM

Best answer selected by Anupam.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 9:53:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!