Sign in with
Your question

A88GMV will not POST

Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2012 7:19:11 PM

I have a Foxconn A88GMV with an AMD FX-6100 6 Core processor that will not POST. I can hear the hard drives and CD-ROM's turning on, and then the CPU fan spins up, then down but no video post.

I purchased the motherboard from Newegg and I noticed that the CMOS battery looked somewhat burnt. I returned it and got another board and it still will not post.

The memory is: Corsair XMS3 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 )

I noticed that the CPU power is an 8-pin but all I have is a 4-pin coming off of my power supply. Do I need to have an 8-pin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : a88gmv post

a c 328 V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 7:36:50 PM

wirez said:
I have a Foxconn A88GMV with an AMD FX-6100 6 Core processor that will not POST. I can hear the hard drives and CD-ROM's turning on, and then the CPU fan spins up, then down but no video post.

I purchased the motherboard from Newegg and I noticed that the CMOS battery looked somewhat burnt. I returned it and got another board and it still will not post.

The memory is: Corsair XMS3 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 )

I noticed that the CPU power is an 8-pin but all I have is a 4-pin coming off of my power supply. Do I need to have an 8-pin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 pin is fine, make sure it is properly inserted.

Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket? If the motherboard has 8 pins and your PSU only has 4 pins, you can use the 4-pin connector. The 4-pin connector USUALLY goes on the 4 pins located closest to the CPU. If the motherboard has an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins, you can remove the cover and use an 8-pin plug if your power supply has one. This power connector provides power to the CPU. Your system has no chance of posting without this connector plugged in! Check your motherboard owners manual for more information about the CPU power connector. The CPU power connector is usually referred to as the "12v ATX" connector in the owners manual. This is easily the most common new-builder mistake.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

m
l
March 2, 2012 9:24:05 PM

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have the 20+4pin setup for the main power to the board, plus the 4 of the 8pins that are closest to the processor.

So all my parts are compatible right?

Any other ideas?
m
l
March 9, 2012 11:10:16 PM

Board was not compatible.
m
l
!