Upgraded Graphics Card on Older PC

I bought a computer a couple years ago and want to start playing WoW again and also Diablo when it comes out but really need a new graphics card, thanks for your help. I'd really like to just replace the graphics card, but can get a new setup if it's an absolute must.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week

BUDGET RANGE: 200

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: WoW and possibly Diablo

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 - 500w power supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Hewlett-Packard A6530F(KQ496AA), AMD Phenom X3 8450(2.1GHz), 64 bit Triple Core Processor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: neweegg, but any really

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: no preference
7 answers Last reply
More about upgraded graphics card older
  1. For that budget, a 6850 is probably your best option. If you can stretch your budget a little, a 6870 would be a step up. Here's a 6870 for $205 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349

By the way, your processor may hold you back in some CPU intensive games. Luckily, GPU intensive games are more common.
  2. Whats the resolution you will be gaming at?
  3. accolite said:
    Whats the resolution you will be gaming at?

Probably something around 1600 x 1200
  4. A 6870 should be fine for that resolution and games. I would say that it is by far your best choice at that budget.
  5. jenn85 said:
    Probably something around 1600 x 1200

Well let me ask you this, what resolution does your monitor support?

For 1600x1200 a GTX460 will do fine you might want to overclock your cpu a little to at least get 2.8Ghz out of it, if not upgrade it to something at least 3.0ghz.

Edit:
    Dougx1317 recommendation is ok too.

Remember to do your own research to come up with the conclusion.
  6. I would still reccommend the 6870. You can see a discussion between the 6870 and GTX460 in this thread. The GTX460 is a little cheaper, but the 6870 is more powerful, newer, and more efficient.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307958-33-6870

I don't know if you can get the processor to 3Ghz, but you should overclock it some. 2.1Ghz will be a limiting factor in some games. But that upgrade is for another day.
  7. Thanks so much for your help, I look forward to grabbing the card! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Graphics Product