3.5" Floppy

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 13, 2005 9:16:37 PM

I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
be used...

While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
camera... but can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

--
I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
http://www.dwacon.com

More about : floppy

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:23:03 AM

dwacon wrote:

> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
> be used...
>
> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi...

Perhaps this is what you saw an ad for?

http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=snfdan

Ken
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:13:57 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> dwacon wrote:
>
>> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
>> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield
>> storage to
>> be used...
>>
>> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine
>> for a
>> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
>> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Hi...
>
> Perhaps this is what you saw an ad for?
>
> http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=snfdan
>
> Ken

Hi,
I thought that is for the reading the card only, not writing.
Tony
February 14, 2005 6:29:21 AM

Strikes me if the camera's that old it takes floppies, it's also pretty
low-res by todays standards. Can't help but think any "adapter" would be a
significant percentage of the cost of buying a new (albeit el-cheapo)
camera, e.g. daughters Xmas present was a tiny 3 megapixel, fixed focus p&s
for $120 Canadian. She's more than happy with it. I'd expect any adapter,
being so unique, would be $40-$50 range or more.

"dwacon" <aunt.jemima@pancake.mix> wrote in message
> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage
> be used...
>
> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for
> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
> http://www.dwacon.com

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:07:24 AM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
> be used...
>
> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
> camera... but can't seem to find anything.

What's the pixel count for the Sony, 500,000? I'd suggest moving up and
buying another digital but not a Sony this time. My S-70 cost me 75,000 yen
($750) back in 2001, when I took it into a couple of camera stores here in
Japan I was told it's resale value is only around $100 and they'd buy it
from me for $50. Hang on to the Sony for another 10 years and it just might
become a collectors item, but I wouldn't count on it.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 7:49:20 AM

dwacon <aunt.jemima@pancake.mix> wrote:
>I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
>wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
>be used...

Yup. It's called "a new camera".

>While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
>memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
>camera... but can't seem to find anything.

Would you rather spend $100 for such a gadget or $200 for a new camera
with better image quality?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

"dwacon" <aunt.jemima@pancake.mix> wrote in message
> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
> be used...
>
> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Any ideas?

I have a device called flash path. It is 3.5 inch floppy size. It takes SD
memory. I used it for transferring pictures from My Olympus camera to
my laptop. The laptop was capable of both read / write to the memory.
I am not sure if the OS in your Sony will recognise that amount of memory.
The device cost $10 at Fry's. I don't use it anymore and am not sure where
I put it. If you are interested I could give you more information

> --
> I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
> http://www.dwacon.com

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:55:39 PM

There were only a couple of Sony Mavicas that used the MS Floppy disk
adaptor. One was the Mavica FD-95 (2.1 mp) and I do not recall which
other one used it.
The adaptor will not work in other Mavicas (I also have a FD-91 and
FD-97. FD-95 is my sons now).

That price seems a little high also, as I believe I've seen them
recently for less than $50(us)

It was a handy devise but slow (12-15 seconds per photo). Much slower
than a floppy itself but it was nice being able to get so many shots
without lugging around all those floppies. If memory serves me you
could get almost 200 shots on a 64meg Memory Stick. And I do not
believe you can use the MS Pro in the adaptor, though I'm not sure so
you may want to check that out.

dwacon wrote:
> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield
storage to
> be used...
>
> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a
magazine for a
> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
> http://www.dwacon.com
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:16:20 PM

In article <ndRPd.41474$EG1.3112@lakeread04>, aunt.jemima@pancake.mix says...
> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
> be used...
>
> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Any ideas?

Yeah, buy a new digicam, it's probably gonna cost less then this thing you're
looking for, and it's gonna be a lot better, smaller etc.

You cam is literaly worth nothing. I don't think it's wise to invest in such
a thing.

--
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
-- Elbert Hubbard

Everyone's comments are convincing me to retire the Mavica and get a new
camera. My only concern -- I would like to have a digital camera with a
*real* telephoto lens.

Actually, I have a bunch of lenses I used to use with my Canon AE-1... can
anyone suggest a digital that supports those lenses (they are not Canon
lenses... just compatible).

--
I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
http://www.dwacon.com
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:01:38 AM

> Everyone's comments are convincing me to retire the Mavica and get a new
> camera. My only concern -- I would like to have a digital camera with a
> *real* telephoto lens.
>
> Actually, I have a bunch of lenses I used to use with my Canon AE-1... can
> anyone suggest a digital that supports those lenses (they are not Canon
> lenses... just compatible).

Uh, a Canon EOS-20D or EOS-300D with a converter (see
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=detai...
EG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=89910).

Of course those lenses will mean manual everything. You're best off just
starting over completely.

See http://digitalslrinfo.com to help you make an informed selection.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:27:30 AM

As I said I have a Sony Mavica FD-97 and FD-91. Both served their
purpose and still work as they did when new (I got the FD-91 6 years
ago this month. over 15,000 shots and still works great)

I've since also spent about 5K on a Canon dSLR, lenses and accesories
but still use the FD-97 (and occasionally the FD-91) for some quick
shots of my dogs or around the house. I keep it handy and it has that
big zoom so I don't have to swap lenses if I need it and that makes it
a lot quicker and easier to use.

I'll also bring the FD-97 with me when ever I go out and don't want to
lug around the heavy camera bag, just to be sure I have a camera if
needed. Funny, one of the best advantages and the reason I liked going
digital was because it was a small, light bag with all I needed in it.
Now I carry a bag that's probably 10X as heavy (and 10 times as
expensive) as my Mavica bag ... Ahhhh, technology! LOL

dwacon wrote:
> Everyone's comments are convincing me to retire the Mavica and get a
new
> camera. My only concern -- I would like to have a digital camera
with a
> *real* telephoto lens.
>
> Actually, I have a bunch of lenses I used to use with my Canon
AE-1... can
> anyone suggest a digital that supports those lenses (they are not
Canon
> lenses... just compatible).
>

> --
> I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
> http://www.dwacon.com
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:03:06 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:16:20 +0100, Dalibor Bauernfrajnd
<REMOVEcortez_300b@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article <ndRPd.41474$EG1.3112@lakeread04>, aunt.jemima@pancake.mix says...
>> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
>> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
>> be used...
>>
>> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
>> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
>> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>Yeah, buy a new digicam, it's probably gonna cost less then this thing you're
>looking for, and it's gonna be a lot better, smaller etc.
>
>You cam is literaly worth nothing. I don't think it's wise to invest in such
>a thing.

"Worth nothing" depends on the application. Most automobile body
shops in this area use the Mavica. They use a floppy to record the
damage on each car, and a new floppy for each car. The floppy is
filed with the rest of the paperwork on the job. They don't have to
download, sort, or even print with this system. Works for them.

I saw one of the Auto Trader photographers doing the same thing. The
system makes sure the photo is tied to the right paperwork. I would
think an insurance adjustor would find the Mavica a good tool.

If I was in the poster's position, I'd offer the Mavica for sale to a
mailing of body shops in the area. They always need an extra one.
Take the proceeds and buy a camera that suits the poster's need.

You shouldn't judge a camera's value without considering what you want
to do with the camera.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:17:52 PM

In article <fdn611t063l14dhd73gja3ottu077g32e2@4ax.com>, tony_cooper213
@earthlink.net says...
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:16:20 +0100, Dalibor Bauernfrajnd
> <REMOVEcortez_300b@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <ndRPd.41474$EG1.3112@lakeread04>, aunt.jemima@pancake.mix says...
> >> I have an older Sony Digital Camera that uses 3.5" floppies. I was
> >> wondering if there is some device that will allow a higher-yield storage to
> >> be used...
> >>
> >> While in the doctor's waiting room I thought I saw an ad in a magazine for a
> >> memory stick that was in a floppy-shaped housing and worked with that
> >> camera... but can't seem to find anything.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> >Yeah, buy a new digicam, it's probably gonna cost less then this thing you're
> >looking for, and it's gonna be a lot better, smaller etc.
> >
> >You cam is literaly worth nothing. I don't think it's wise to invest in such
> >a thing.
> >
> "Worth nothing" depends on the application.

I was refering to the value on the used market.
Can't sell it, and I wouldn't invest in it.

I'd buy a new cam.

--
!