Where is my bottleneck on amd X3 440?

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Amd ahtlon II x3 440 (3ghz)
2gb ddr3 ram
Oldish Sata Hard drive, transfer rates were in the 50s on hd tune (13ms)
Nvidia GTS 250 (512mb)
Biostar 870+ motherboard
My fps is in the 40s, 50s on Bad company 2 on medium or low settings, 1280 resulution
Should I get a new hard drive or more memory?
Whats going to be bottlenecking during a game or while cruising the web
I used a few core i3 laptops and they seemed much faster while cruising =(
Could it be because my hard drive is old? I didnt get a new one with the pc

Solution
Judging by the specs your PC shouldn't have any problems web browsing, only issues there might be just internet connection.

Gaming could very well be your memory, when it comes to attaining smooth gameplay and high frame rates. I did see a difference when I switched from 2GB to 4GB when gaming, however when I am doing everyday tasks I find zero difference in performance with either 2GB or 4GB in my pc.

Oh and for a sidenote, an i3 is amazing at doing everyday tasks, and will probably outperform the Athlon in everything except gaming. Since games like BC2 are made to take advantage of every core. So I wouldn't compare your rig to an i3 laptop you used.

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
I would upgrade the HDD and put a fresh install of Windows, I have been using 2GB of RAM in my PC even though I have 4GB (long story), and it has little effect until I game. So for BC2 I would say you need 4GB of Ram at least, but for web browsing and etc, your RAM shouldn't be the bottleneck.

I suggest an Samsung F3 HDD and what OS you using?

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
The HDD is usually the last bottleneck....upgrades would be as follows in order:

1.} Memory Expansion to 4GB min. pick memory that has matching latency and speed
2.}6850-->6870 if AMD or 450-->460 nvidia vid card
3.}SATA II HDD min. 16MB cache WD Blue 500 GB fits the bill

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
windows 7 64 bit
The reason im hesitant to buy more ram is when I minimize BBC2
it doesnt lagg it all
It just instantly minimizes and I can do whatever else, or maybe thats a ddr3 thing.

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Judging by the specs your PC shouldn't have any problems web browsing, only issues there might be just internet connection.

Gaming could very well be your memory, when it comes to attaining smooth gameplay and high frame rates. I did see a difference when I switched from 2GB to 4GB when gaming, however when I am doing everyday tasks I find zero difference in performance with either 2GB or 4GB in my pc.

Oh and for a sidenote, an i3 is amazing at doing everyday tasks, and will probably outperform the Athlon in everything except gaming. Since games like BC2 are made to take advantage of every core. So I wouldn't compare your rig to an i3 laptop you used.

Solution

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

:lol: Your are kidding right? You make no sense...please stay away from this thread :heink:

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

Thats called personal experience, no web browser is going to use 4GB of DDR3 RAM, that wouldn't be a issue with that. Gaming on the other hand is different.

I am not saying that he shouldn't get 2 more gigs of RAM, I am just saying there should be no difference with 2 or 4 gigs of RAM when it comes to web browsing and everyday tasks.

I will say this as a plus for this and with the idea that "bad" advices stops:

Check your task manager, if you have more that 1.5GB used, then you NEED more that 2GB RAM, that's it.

Now, I hope that this stops here because we aren't trying to find if he need 2GB or 4GB for "every day" use, the OP need know why the FPS are so low in BC2.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Ahhh..good point I couldn't see the trees for the forest...OP..make sure all background programs and services are shut off i.e. browsers, monitoring programs, anything thats not nessacery.... while gaming this will allow memory to be freed up so that you will be able to achieve more FPS while gaming

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
What you two don't seem to understand is I answered everyone of his questions. And if you look at my very first posting I said that he should get 4GB for BC2 aka gaming.

I am not giving bad advice I stated personal experiences for everything he asked.