Tags:
  • Corsair
  • Asus
  • Dual Channel
  • Memory
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
March 3, 2012 4:22:38 AM

I ordered 2 kits of 4x4GB (16gb) for a total of 32gb that would take all 8 dimms of the asus p9x79 deluxe motherboard for... the part number of the ram is : CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B ... the vengeance blue 1600mHz ..the kit says dual channel... and its been out for a while... when I fill all 8 slots dimms will this be quad channel... will this cause anything weird like blue screens or something?? I dont know $### .. I seen that the quad channel vengeance has a couple different numbers in the parts numbers its black in color and the model is cmz16gx3m4x1600c9 .... its voltage says 1.35 instead of the 1.5 of the blue colored ram... I will be using this with adobe premiere and after effects and some audio recording.....what the hell is the difference... the blue is 99 bucks says dual channel... the black says quad channel for 109 bucks... its in the mail overnighted to me... but if I return the dual channel for the quad I will have to pay return shipping and then 9 dollars more per kit (18 dollars)... am I trippin for no reason or do I have to return it... I wasnt paying attention when I ordered I just liked the blue color!! besides after not doing a build in ten years..my brain has fried just figuring and learning all this new crap... I just wanna play guitar!! anyway... what is the real answer .... not " it'll do just fine".... I wanna know if this is not gonna be quad channel.... and will slow rendering down a bit.... even seconds...

gonna be:
3930k c2 sr0ky
asus p9x79 deluxe
corsair force gt180 ssd sata III 6 Gbps (boot, apps)
2x seagate 7200 64mb 2 tb sataIII 6 Gbp software raid 0 (internal)
windows pro 7 64 serviice pack 1
EVGA 3gb gtx 580
storm trooper case
lite on blue ray burner
cooler master h 80 cooler
cooler master silent pro 850 modular bronze Power supply

and the 2x corsair vengeance blue 1600mHz ddr3 cmZ16GX3M4A1600C9B 16gb for a total of 8 dimms (32 gb)

protools 10
adobe production premium cs 5.5

most is in the mail.... dont really want to change much... but will send back the ram if it sucks?

More about : dual channel memory 2011 x79 asus p9x79 deluxe

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
March 3, 2012 12:35:29 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

The X79's can be picky about RAM, and it's best to go off this list -> http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/qua...

Therefore, 4x4GB kit:
CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R
CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G
CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9
CML16GX3M4X1600C8
CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
CMP16GX3M4X1866C9
CMP16GX3M4X1600C7

While the CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B can work, IMO do not use AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and instead: AI Overlock Tuner -> Manual, DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600, VCCSA -> 1.10v, and VTT -> 1.10v (do not exceed 1.20v for VTT/VCCSA; >1.35v has shown to degrade the SB-E).

Tips:
1. Do not RAID 0 your data drives unless the data is meaningless, and instead RAID 1 or RAID 10 (requires 4 HDDs).
2. Installing the OS with RAID ; MUST read -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume... ; the only differences are there's no need to do the formatting/partition deletion. IF you install Windows 7 and forget the set the BIOS to RAID then you can NEVER change ANY of the Intel ports to RAID; well you can but it'll BSOD and the FIX is verbatim to the link (I made that mistake myself).
3. The Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB has a high out of the box failure rate, I had to RMA (1) of my two. The Spinpont F3 is a better choice for reliability; I kinda regret my own choice. However, the ST1000DM003 are indeed fast.
4. Never exceed 1.45v vCore, the SB-E and oddly even more so the C2 than C1 has exhibited multiple bin degradation loss and is more less guaranteed with 1.5Xv. If your OC includes LLC then remember that adds +0.05v over the vCore; i.e. 1.40v vCore + 0.05v LLC = 1.45v. Some folks even recommend limiting to 1.38v vCore.

Observations:
1. Case, I am not a fan of many of the CM cases with few exceptions. For the same budget I'd get the Corsair Obsidian Series 650D case and won't think twice about it. I rarely advise folks on cases. Further, CM makes very cheap and unreliable, the cases with them, hot-swap bays.
2. I am very picky about PSU's and only recommend the following: Corsair, SeaSonic, or Enermax.

FYI:
HDD/SSD ATTO; prior to the latest Intel RST Enterprise which added performance:
Score
March 3, 2012 5:09:37 PM

Thanks for taking your time to reply... I was planning on small video projects...witthe caseh premiere and some after effects.... Should I not raid these drives (seagates) t all and use one for storage and one for just video ? The ssd is for os and apps.only.. I bought two SATA 3 7200's I can't return them and have had good experience with seagate I have ten year old scsi drives on a pro tools audio mixcube system.... the cm case is nice...not bad...I have 3 broke macs in the garage.. so computers break..I am just confused about the ram... The Asus guy..built a system on YouTube with this ram...but called it quad channel but they were.the dual channel(as described by corsair website...as they don't make the vengeance in blue with the big wings but JJ from Asus uses it on his x79 build with my same motherboard... I won't be overclocking...as I don't know jack....
Score
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
March 3, 2012 5:35:05 PM

Your ST1000DM003 might be fine, one of mine decided to take a dump and others' have had similar issues; read feedback. The problem with RAID 0 is if one HDD/SSD goes you've lost ALL the data on them for good (1/2 data = 0 data). RAID 10 is a little faster and you can loose a drive and no data loss.

It's your call, I'm the messenger ;) 

RAM, I didn't say it wouldn't work. I know JJ and I've seen some of his videos, and often for 'looks' I've seen folks do Black | Blue | etc; heck I liked the Gold CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G matches the Sabertooth X79's VRM heat sink. All I am suggesting is not to use XMP and set the RAM manually, and if you don't and start having problems then remember what I said today.

Overclocking the SB-E, to a point, is easy and your MOBO offers you to save BIOS 'Profiles,' I have Stock through 5GHz but typically use the 'Stock.' I use my X79 for day to day and some SQL compiling with a RAM drive. In your case, I can't imagine the HDD's interfering with your video compiling, the GTX 580 will accelerate the real-time onscreen transitions, etc. However, OC'ing the CPU should shorten the compile/render time.

I am just passing along some of my experiences.
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
March 3, 2012 5:55:50 PM

BTW - Update ALL Firmware and BIOS before installing the OS.

Firmware:
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223651e...
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 180GB - (Downloads) http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-gt-ssd/force-se...
/Version 1.3.3 ships on most new GT's

BIOS:
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (0906) - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X7...
/Use ASUS EZ Flash 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash
/BIOS is printed on the box next to the S/N

Drivers:
Intel RST Enterprise - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X7...
/Don't use those on the DVD, download the latest (except the Intel RST F6)

Installing the OS:
Read -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...
/SATA MUST be set to RAID prior to installing the OS
Score
March 3, 2012 11:22:03 PM

damn!! thanks for all the help... I am amazed everyday by all the cool people in the world thanks!... I was thinking of this .. I was gonna put os and apps on the force gt ssd, then have like a big ole storage drive,,, where i would partition that keep all my junk on that back that up regularly on an external drive that i would disconnect from system, and have just my media projects on the raid 0 which i will back up on blue ray and also have copys of stuff on storage... I never know the best way but I always know someway,,,haha the only problems is money is low now... I have just about enough money for one more drive.... then its mac and cheese for a month...till i can save for some nice monitors... can i set up a ten with what I have? no hardware raid card??
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
March 3, 2012 11:31:50 PM

RAID 0, 1, and 10 are all non-parity and are easy for the onboard RAID Controller. Parity RAID 5, 6, and an assortment of other nested RAID are better with a controller. Parity requires calculations whereas the non-parity do not and are easy.

ALL 6 Intel SATA ports are capable of being combined into a 6-drive array if needed.

So if you meant RAID 10 then yes, use the (4) Intel SATA2 ports for the HDD, (1) SATA3 SSD and the other for the ODD (yeah it's a waste of a SATA3). If you don;t plan on booting off the ODD (BR/DVD) then you can use the Marvell for the ODD which would leave an Intel SATA3 if you wnated a RAID 0 (360GB 2*180) SSD and a 2TB of 4 HDDs in RAID 10 on the Intel SATA2.
Score
March 4, 2012 12:18:18 AM

Best answer selected by dsaffell.
Score
March 4, 2012 12:22:29 AM

so if the odd is on the marvell I wont be able to install from... do i install then move it to there...i wont boot from the odd after windows install
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
March 4, 2012 12:37:32 AM

I do not recommend the you install Windows off the ODD. Look at my MUST read link to install Win 7, you create a Flash Drive installer which is dirt simple. In the How To I linked a simple to follow video plus adding the F6 RAID drivers to the Flash Drive.

You can simply place the ODD on the Intel SATA3 port. I really have little reason to boot off a ODD, and my preference is Flash Drives because it's faster and to me simpler.
Score
March 4, 2012 6:03:02 AM

so as I read the problem you linked to occurs only to the boot drive when changing that to raid?? since the installation process disables non used disk drivers.. but microsoft says only when changing boot to raid... (which I never intend to do) so say since I dont have the funds for the other 2x 2TB seagate 7200's at this moment ...3 or 4 months I will...I could use 1 of the ones I have now for my generic storage and the other one (I have two) for a video/media/audio that I keep defragged then late add four drives four a raid 10???on the intel... so now maybe?? ssd on intel, odd on intel, (four left for raid later) then the 2 seagates I have now on the marvell (one storage one video and I'll use some old externals I have now for a backup solution till I can afford a bigger..and need a bigger as my drives fill up...the old ones I have now are 7200 500GB usb 2/firewire... but the have mac os journaled which I'll wipe..i'll have no firewire so theyll be on usb :(  maybe Ill get a cheapo firewire card with the ti chipset as I heard that should do her..) if I do it this way I should just be able to do a odd install of windows first though still flashing and firmware upgrades for all??
Score
March 4, 2012 6:12:40 AM

ps I went to my local frys electronics to speak with the techs and I called asus... they said my ram would be cool but manually input the specs into bios... not xmp ..though xmp is supported on the ram... supposedly people have probs with that.... as far as the quad channel thing I thing the 8 dimms all filled with the same memory will be see as quad channel... as the dual channel spec as stated by corsair for the pretty blue monsters this is just tested to work as groups of 2 and not... the techs which I had all in the conversation 5 or 6 of them hahaha all agreed it would be best to have 4x 8gb as less margin for errors always use as few as dimms as possible to get what you want... but of course... I have all ready bought the 2 ...4x4 kits... and dont have the extra dough for the 4x8GB sticks...anyway they all said it will be cool just do mem tests before the return date
Score
March 5, 2012 8:31:54 AM

Jaquith whats up! You got me all paranoid!

So I bought another 2 hdd but not for raid 10.....

but I still need your help :) 

Ok this is what I am going to do.. I ordered a couple usb flash drives as well ..
I am gonna put windows 7 install on 1 (even though its sounds a little beyond me... first of all I will copy all the files from the install dvd to the flash drive (first question- do I have to format the usb flash drive to something... or just what it comes form the store... never used one)
then in a dos prompt enable it as bootable and some other stuff that this youtube instruction video says to do..
then on another usb drive.. I will install raid drivers??

ok now that will be done.. but I have much more to ask..

my internal sytem will be 5 drives.. please help me figure some things out ...

1 corsair force gt sata 3 180 GB- bought and paid for
2 seagate 2TB ncq 7200, 64m, 6 gbps sata 3 (all disks sata 3, 7200) supports 4k sectors?yes-bought and paid for

2 seagates same as above but the 1 tb models- in the mail

Bluray rewriter ODD... are these sata 2 or 3?? lite-on 12x model...

ok now..

os/apps on bootable ssd force gt 180GB- there will be no other files except maybe an adobe page file ??? I wanted to make all the prgrams that use my docs, my music, and all the other personal stuff on a storage drive , I have to figure out how to do that as well since I am migrating from Mac OS... I do have experience with windows... but it is from 3.1, 95, little dos, xp just browing and ms apps stuff, but nothing from vista and 7..
I will have 2 drives in a raid zero (either 2x 1 tb seagate's or 2x 2tb seagates.. have decided on 2 or 4 tb raid zero)
Then the lite ON.. and in a few months an external back up...

I need to know:

should I hook up any thing other than the ssd drive and the ODD (if making a bootable usb flash install winds up being to funky for my chops) for the installation on win7

or should I hook up all 6 (4 hdd,1 ssd, 1 odd) then do all the bios setups, then install

should I disable ncq on raid 0 drives.. at one point do I or is it something done after in windows
if I go with the 2X2TB raid will I have to uncheck mbr and use them with gpt (however I do that)
and these drives all supports 4k sectors??? so should I change from default 128 to 4K..??

CAn I just install all other disks later... like

hook up ssd and odd... still select raid for intel chipset... for a later raid (raid future)

and the links you gave me... said don't update firmware unless something is wrong... and gave no way to even do it without installing windows first??? how do I update firmware on a drive with no OS... through bios??? force gt website said dont do it without first having a problem...
the motherboard bios is the current one thats on the website (0906).. has a sticker on the Mother board.. the intel f6 drivers says it is the Motherboards from intel with the intel chip supports... and states (for the intel DSx79...something motherboard--you know which one as we all passed that one up when deciding on a motherboard)... also

which drives on which sata ports and which controllers??.. guy from OCW on youtube said know problems with SSD OS drive on same controller as raid... so put SSD OS drive on MArvell and make intel for the raid... now you mentioned if odd is on marvell I can't boot from it... is this the case with the ssd as well... also if I put Blueray burner on sata 2 intel/or marvell will it be slower to burn a disc than if I put it on a sata3???

If I put the ssd on intel sata3 then one storage on intel sata3 then odd on intel sata2 ,then put the raid O on Marvell 6 gpbs port (2 drives raid 0) (or do they have to be raid on intel ..specs from website say the intel supports the raids)

the last storage drive buy an esata case?? and hook it to the ASMedia® ASM1061 controller : which is esata 6gbps.. a hassle but the 6 gbps drive will be 6 gpbs??? or put both storage on marvell 6gbps... the 2 raid O drives on 3gbps intel... will this slow the raid??? if I have 6gbps drives I know they will work but will performance go down on a 3 gbps port... need to figure out all this plus the mbr/gpt questions, plus onw website you linked me to...
"Purpose:

Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RAID) driver version 3.0.0.3020 for Intel® Desktop Boards."
and "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below. Intel® Desktop Board DX79SI
Intel® Desktop Board DX79TO " and "The driver should be installed AFTER the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation." and "Once the operating system is installed and RAID (0, 5 or 10) has been enabled in the BIOS, double-click downloaded file to launch the driver installation."

then the seagate site says "The firmware update utility runs within Windows" ie not before windows is installed??.. and "The firmware tool will determine which version (CC4C, CC4D, or CC9D) is correct for your drive. " and of course the game changer" If the upgrade instructions are not followed properly, the upgrade could be data-destructive and/or render your hard drive inoperable." ..so the instructions say the firmware tool will determine..which version... and also runs from within windows" and then you say.... "ALL firmware before installing windows"?? so who do I listen to ... paranoid :( 

and then corsair force gt website:

"If you are stable and do not have issues, we suggest that you do not flash your firmware."

and also "This update tool is intended to be run with the drive controller in AHCI mode. If your drive controller is not AHCI enabled and your update fails, you will need to change it to AHCI mode and also enable AHCI in your OS registry. Here is page with a guide for ENABLING AHCI.

If you have issues updating using the Microsoft AHCI driver, you may need to update using the latest driver from your drive controller manufacturer. The reverse is also true. If you have issues updating using the latest drivers from your controller manufacturer, we suggest you try the latest MS AHCI driver.

Our latest testing is only with Intel and AMD drive controllers. The update may not work with 3rd party drive controllers. The update will not work on a controller that is in RAID mode. This applies to SATA2 and SATA3 controllers."

yikes says only tested with intel (not marvell) then says change to AHCI, every site I read says dont select ahci for raid select raid... so that must be where to ocw on youtube says problems with single ssd os on same controller as raid ... as the intel listed by asus is the one with raid support then the raid drives must be on intel.... and then corsair says put their ssd on intel but use AHCI... can I have the ssd ahci and should I, and also have the raid 0 on "RAID" all on the intel.... then the storage on marvell... what about NCQ through all this... Is there just a website with a list of combinations.... should we begin an app where you put in your drive and motherboard model... and it tells you optimal config for all setting?? I cannot afford anything else at the moment... since I have 5 new drives and a blueray burner... I need to get this figured out.... no raid 10, no raid 5, no raid 1.....

"

Score

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
March 5, 2012 12:50:27 PM

That's a lot of stuff to read over! As far as me contending with, refuting, or arguing with what random posts, YouTube, etc -- I don't have the time for that kind of stuff. One cook, you pick the cook and do it anyway you please.

It seems ASUS confirmed to you what I already said about XMP, and yes ideally 4x8GB is 'better' than 8x4GB. The XMP profiles, especially those on 2x__GB kits are optimized for that environment and that density and not 4*(2x__GB). As of the last time I checked the BIOS version is the latest.

RAID, yes typically I prefer Intel over others in most situations, and in X79 -- Intel.

Installing, again only use a Flash Drive for 'RAID', again see -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume... in the steps is a 'How To' create a bootable Flash Drive and then my steps outline adding the RAID drivers and as an option all the required drivers to copy and install after installing Windows 7.

Changing 'Default Locations' for Music, Documents, etc ; see -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...

HDD, SSD, etc 'Firmware' - more than likely the Corsair SSD has the latest firmware, but that might not be the case with the HDD's. I have more that (1) PC so it's easy for me to connect the drives to an available SATA port and update. I 'get' the warnings about BIOS/Firmware upgrades, but the X79 is so new there still are bugs and the Vendor's don't want loads of RMA's from everyone attempting an update knowing a certain percentage pooching from either not following directions or using good judgement. I have learned to read and read once again before undertaking 'risky' upgrades and all my systems are stable and on UPS.

Locations:
Intel SATA3: Corsair SSD + BR ODD
Intel SATA2: (4) Seagate Barracuda
Marvell SATA3: Other internal HDDs
ASMedia eSATA SATA3: Other external HDDs

The reason,

Limit to my arguing:
The 'SATA Interface' has no baring or more to the point imposes no limiting factor to any mechanical HDD. The fastest HDD is at best 1/2 SATA2 speed and 1/4 SATA3 speed. As far as drives being on RAID that is not a problem unless the MOBO manufacturer screws-up and implements the SATA controller improperly (Intel, Marvell, ASMedia, etc). Intel RST Enterprise 3.0.0.3020 works fine with the X79 Intel Chipset, its a newer driver than the SAME but older version posted on ASUS's site. RE "F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed" F6 is only during OS installation that 'what' F6 means. I used the latest Intel RST Enterprise and saw an increase in speed and it worked fine.

// I'm done.//

You know the more I read the more aggravated I get, PLEASE don't do it my way. Instead, it's best do some other way and with some other mentor.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 146 } Memory
March 6, 2012 12:55:39 AM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 146 } Memory
March 6, 2012 12:55:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!