Sign in with
Your question

$1800 Gaming PC - First time builder

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2011 4:13:28 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: April 1st (give or take a week or so, should parts be temporarily unavailable to order)

Budget Range: $1800ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, media center

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, DVD Burner (LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98B) Monitor (pair of 24" Acer Widescreens)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca, DirectCanada.com

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel/Nvidia

Overclocking: Yes, eventually (planning on learning how to OC eventually)

SLI or Crossfire: SLI, yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I think I've got the parts selected for building my first computer, however I wanted to run it through people here and get any opinions on things to change, add, remove, etc before I commit to it and order the parts. Previously I had posted about a $1200 AMD/Radeon build, however I prettymuch completely redid it in favor of Intel and Nvidia.

Intel Core I5 2500K

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH 8GB 2X4GB

Corsair Professional HX850W 850W

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570

Western Digital WD30EZRSDTL Caviar Green 3TB

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Intel X25-M 80GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD

Note: Before it's mentioned, commented on, or questioned, I have use for all 3 hard drives, and do find them necessary. The 3TB will be for media (as it stands, I've got a 2TB filled to capacity with all of the household's music and movies on it. As well, the 1TB will be for games and downloads, and the 80GB SSD will be for the OS, main applications, and WoW.

Note #2: Although not at time of purchase, I do plan on eventually getting a second GTX 570 and running SLI, however I'm not counting that in this budget, and will be one of those "Whenever I get around to it" upgrades.

Anything I should change/fix, or does it look pretty good?
March 29, 2011 4:24:06 AM

im getting a new ocmputer around the same price/specs as you here they are:

CASE: Coolermaster HAF 912
Motherboard/CPU: Asus P8P67 Pro/i5 2500K
PSU: Corsair AX1200 $469
GPU: Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum
HDD: G.Skill 120GB SSD -already have
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 8GB
OPTICAL DRIVE: LG/Samsung 22x Box
Noctua NH-D14-

personallyi dont use alot of hardware space so thats the reason for just an SSD, i want to get 570 SLI in the future so i opted for the AX1200 as i KNOW it will support it and other components in the future :) 
March 29, 2011 6:55:37 AM

the ax 1200 is excessive man lol..you could have gotten away with an ax 850 and saved some cash!as for the OP...your build looks good man! However, do you need 8 gb of ram? What is the main use for the computer? if its for gaming..the 8gb of ram won't be very beneficial
Related resources
March 29, 2011 8:50:31 AM

I personally would rather Asus P8P57 or ASRock extreme4 P67 for your MOBO... but apart from that pretty similar to what I'm getting
March 29, 2011 9:30:17 AM

Ok, understand the need for 4TB, I myself have 3TB and looking to add more! However, your hard drive choices are pretty nutty.

I would recommend 2x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4s, which would be faster, quieter and cheaper than the 1TB and 3TB drives you selected and give the exact same amount of space.

If you then want to partition them as a 1TB downloads partition and a 3TB media partition this is very easy to do in windows 7 by using dynamic volumes in disk manager.

As for the SSD, the Intel X-25M is out of date now and a bad choice. You would be better off looking at a Sandforce SSD which would again be cheaper, faster and have more space. either the Mushkin 120gb or, if you can wait for it to come out, the OCZ Vertex 3 120gb.

Please ignore LOL123 regarding the PSU. Nobody needs 1200W in their PC. You're running a computer not a power station. The 850W PSU you have selected is way more than needed.

I second the comments about 8GB RAM probably being too much. I would go for 2x2GB, you can always add another 4GB later if you want to.

I would also second the ASUS or ASRock motherboards MrMasrhmallow recommends over the MSI. MSI are not the quality motherboard manufacturer they once were.

The rest of it looks great, good choices.
March 29, 2011 12:46:51 PM

Ten98 said:
Ok, understand the need for 4TB, I myself have 3TB and looking to add more! However, your hard drive choices are pretty nutty.

I would recommend 2x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4s, which would be faster, quieter and cheaper than the 1TB and 3TB drives you selected and give the exact same amount of space.

If you then want to partition them as a 1TB downloads partition and a 3TB media partition this is very easy to do in windows 7 by using dynamic volumes in disk manager.

As for the SSD, the Intel X-25M is out of date now and a bad choice. You would be better off looking at a Sandforce SSD which would again be cheaper, faster and have more space. either the Mushkin 120gb or, if you can wait for it to come out, the OCZ Vertex 3 120gb.

Please ignore LOL123 regarding the PSU. Nobody needs 1200W in their PC. You're running a computer not a power station. The 850W PSU you have selected is way more than needed.

I second the comments about 8GB RAM probably being too much. I would go for 2x2GB, you can always add another 4GB later if you want to.

I would also second the ASUS or ASRock motherboards MrMasrhmallow recommends over the MSI. MSI are not the quality motherboard manufacturer they once were.

The rest of it looks great, good choices.

Alright, I'll change the hard drives and the RAM. As for with the SSD, how are the Crucial C300s, cause I might end up getting one of the 128GBs if they're decent enough. Also, is the 850w too much even when I do eventually go SLI, or would it be worth it to hold on to for when I do eventually do so?
March 29, 2011 1:02:49 PM

yeah im in the same situation , i want to overclock my rig in the future but would an AX850 hold up to clocking the 2500K with 570 SLI's ?
March 29, 2011 4:19:33 PM

LOL123 said:
yeah im in the same situation , i want to overclock my rig in the future but would an AX850 hold up to clocking the 2500K with 570 SLI's ?

I've got no doubt it'd be plenty for either of us. I'm more wondering if it'd be too much and if a 750w would suffice, in either of our situations.
March 29, 2011 5:44:36 PM

Yes it will..I've seen people with 980x and 2 gtx 580's on an HX 850 watt powersupply...you don't need it to be that high, I assure you...it simply depends on the amount of load you have on the computer
!