Sign in with
Your question

Laptop with wireless adapter, no internet access

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 27, 2010 9:10:26 AM

Hello,
I recently bought a DIR-655 router and a DWA-130 (REV E1, F/W 5.10) adapter. Router seems to be working fine (other computers can connect), but the adapter is a different matter or the laptop is.

I installed the adapter to the laptop, but it won't seem connect to the router. A different IP address (169.254.162.194) shows up than the router should be giving it (192.168.0.xxx), and now has a status of limited connectivity.

If I manually type in the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS, it shows as connected but no internet connectivity.

I tried using the adapter on another computer which has WinXP Home Ed SP3, thinking it may be the problem, but it worked fine. So I updated the laptop, which was then on WinXP Media Center Ed SP2, to SP3. But it's still the same and I have to put in still the IP address, etc.

Weird thing happened, though. While it shows up connected, it downloads from the Windows Automatic Update just fine (despite being asked if I wanted it on, and said no) but still can't surf the net.

Pinged yahoo and 206.190.60.37 without any loss. Even with reserved DHCP, laptop shows up on router's wireless status with an IP address of 0.0.0.0 (while laptop is manually configured as 192.168.0.104).

Scanned for viruses with MBAM and avast!, came up with threats and dealt with it... same thing.

I don't know if this is any help or it might be another problem altogether, but the laptop's IE8 won't launch at all.

Hope what I've written is enough for anyone who could figure this out and help. Thanks in advance!

Rich D
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 27, 2010 11:40:48 AM

169.254 etc just shows there's a fault.

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
m
l
October 27, 2010 1:36:33 PM

Quote:
169.254 etc just shows there's a fault.

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

Tried it, but the IP address came back to 169.254.162.194 (I'm not sure where it got that) instead of the router's 192.168.0.xxx (as it should be) and is on Limited Connectivity again. And on D-Link's Wireless Manager, the status shows up as "Connecting and key wait". I'm thinking that there might be a problem on both adapter (having to key in the IP address on another pc and it worked, instead of acquiring it automatically) and laptop (can't access internet with adapter, despite having said adapter work on another pc), could that be the case?

And since I'm using a wireless N adapter and router, how come it still uses 802.11g? Shouldn't it be 802.11n?

And thanks for taking your time to read this.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 27, 2010 3:00:33 PM

See if you can get internet when connected with an ethernet cable between the computer and router.
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:12:55 PM

Quote:
See if you can get internet when connected with an ethernet cable between the computer and router.

Will try that later and let you know how it goes.

Thanks. :) 
m
l
October 28, 2010 7:11:49 AM

I finally found the problem, it was the firewall blocking programs that are used to access the internet. I tired the suggestion you gave and was baffled about the lack of internet connection. I noticed the firewall indicating that it has incoming "intrusion" activity, and checked what were those. It has blocked FireFox and avast! from internet access.

If it weren't for your suggestion I wouldn't have noticed this, so many thanks to you fihart! :) 

OH, one more thing... Plugging it directly to the router gave it the right IP address, but I still have to manually configure the IP address if I use the adapter for it.

Is there any way to obtain it automatically and catch the right address (192.168.0.xxx) instead of 169.254.162.194, or does the fault now lies on the adapter itself?
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 28, 2010 9:20:16 AM

Well, I'm glad you realised it was the firewall -- uncharacteristically I forgot to mention that in your case -- but it's caught me out regularly so I'm very aware of it as a basic connection issue.

Win7 seems to have found a workaround by getting you to choose which type of connection you are making and deciding to allow it if, for example, it's merely a local connection.

As for the remaining wireless adapter problem -- suggest examining wireless mode in the router and experimenting with wireless security disabled. Just in case, check that Access List (which filters users by MAC ID) is disabled.
m
l
!