New Build Question on Graphics Card Performance

athomas61

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I recently built a new computer and have been enjoying it. It's a 2500k@4.4Ghz with 8GB RAM and a XFX 6950 2GB Video Card. I haven't had a long time to test out my games, but it hasn't quite hit my expectations. I've not had time to do any detailed test but in playing World of Warcraft which is probably my primary game it's not hitting huge FPS numbers. I plan to test some add'l games this weekend. Performance has sat around 50-60 FPS in light environments, but in populated areas it typically runs 25-35 FPS.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but with that Video Card and processor I expected nothing could bring it under 60 FPS. Is my performance about what I should expect or is there a way to test and make sure my video card is performing up to spec? Thanks!

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Well, cataclysm raised the bar slightly for graphics processing if you are maxing it out. This is more so true if you are running at full hd and expecting these new 6xxx series cards to blow the pants off games. They were meant to be middle of the road performers at a great price, toms has stated this many times. You may have seen lots of people telling other people that they shouldn't expect this series to be as great as the best of the previous gen (with exception to the 6970 or whatever the top card is atm). This might be the case for you.

When i heard about this sandy bridge generation i was a little disappointed that at first there was not a great enthusiast foundation to go along with their mainstream platform (although they are going to introduce a more enthusiast type platform on the SB).

I think the 1366 platform is still the enthusiasts platform. Its got support for the best and fastest stuff around and the most integrated feature set. This is, until they release the next gen sb i7 mobos and procs.

I hope this made sense, as its the end of the day for me and im exhausted writing this lol.