$800 budget gaming build need help & suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
looking to build a rig with my budget being at $800. so far i have bought the corsair xms3 4gb ram already and also the amd x4 955 black edition processor. I need help with the rest i was wondering if i could go with this in mind.

i wanna buy the asus mobo m4a79t deluxe but now everybody is sold out. is there another board similar to this one out there.
1tb hard drive by western digital caviar black.
750watt psu modular by silverstone
His H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 Video Card maybe i will do two of these.
Corsair Hydro CWCH70 Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Silverstone RV02B-W case
BH10LS30 Blu-ray rewriter combo drive

any suggestions appriciated..

Solution
I like that choice of the H70 cooler for the AMD motherboards because it won't block your ram slots like a giant air cooler might. This is the only reason. Don't expect miracles from this, because it won't deliver though the space savings between the processor and RAM is invaluable due to the AMD motherboard design.

If you don't plan to run a quadfire video card setup, you could go for something like the M4A89GTD PRO. For the most part, a 2 video card setup is sufficient.

Which Silverstone PSU are you looking at (model?)? 750W is a good power supply for just about any 2-AMD video-card setup, but all brands sell a cheap line of PSUs.

How often do you plan to write blu-rays? Aren't the disks $5-10 each? You could save money not getting the blu-ray writer and just get a reader or stream HD video and just get a DVD combo drive for that matter. I would take that savings (~$60) and put it toward more video card. The Radeon 5850 or Radeon 5870 run near the $200 mark or less every other weak and offer substantial performance gains over the 5770. This is a great 5870 card and is running right around $190:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=radeon+5870&x=0&y=0

Here's a 5850 for a little less:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125318&cm_re=radeon_5850-_-14-125-318-_-Product

Seriously consider not getting the blu-ray writer. Definitely worth the sacrifice for the sake of better video.

I like that case design of the RV02B-W. Who would think that heat rises? Why not focus the airflow from bottom to top? When they came up with the ATX spec for airflow it was always front to back (wtf?) and not bottom to top. This case has an interesting design in that it is designed for airflow that follows the laws of physics, though the lid on top leaves me wondering... That being said, isn't it a little much for your budget system? If you reduce the cost of your case to something like an HAF 912 or HAF 922 you could gain additional money (around $50-$100) to put toward better video (assuming the power supply is solid? Not sure yet...).

Combine that savings with not getting the blu-ray writer and your talking a system with a Radeon 6950.

Western Digital drives haven't failed me. Great reliable drives. I always outgrow their capacity and replace them with newer higher-capacity WDs. When it comes to non-SSD storage, they're the only brand I consider.

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
the psu is the strider plus ST75F-P 750 modular. U see im a straight noobie at this building a computer, I have looked at a bunch of videos and think i can do this thing. The blu-ray writer i just think that its best to have everything in one. I may start burning movies etc. Gaming on a computer i never done before always been a xbox 360 fan,but im willing to give gaming a try on the desktop. so i was starting off with the 5770. but if think thats not good enough. then i might have to rethink this video card setup over. I was going to start out with one card first to see how it goes and maybe do a second card later on down the line if i need to. i also want to do the overclock thing with this processor i want to take it to 3.8-4.0 ghz thats all. The silverstone case im pretty much bought on. i mean like u said heat rises. so thats the case i need for great air flow. they need to make that standard for all cases.Also what do u think of ssd for os only. i was also thinking of that to. crucial 300 60gb. I want to run windows 7 64 bit on the machine.

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

ok bet, I'll wait to get the blu-ray. but do anybody have a good dvd combo drive they can recommend?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
If I were building an $800 rig, I would get a different case - that one is really nice, but it's going to eat up a huge chunk of your budget. Look for something more like the Antec 200/300 - they cool well, look OK, and are a lot cheaper.

Yeah. You can do it. It's not really rocket science, you just have to take the plunge. The first two I put together I actually broke a sweat because it was a time when I was a super-poor college student with no way to get new parts if I broke those I was working with. This was a time when you had to practically break your motherboard in order to add video ram. One thing to remember... you only need nine posts behind the motherboard that line up with the holes in the motherboard and 9 screws to screw into them. Based on the pictures of that case, it looks like the posts are already in place for a standard ATX motherboard. Other than that, the hardest part (not really hard, just takes some time) is trying to figure out how to attach the board to the switches and lights on a given case, because they're all a little different. Many times the power and reset are mislabeled. Connecting things like RAM, hard drives and video cards are simple. Be careful handling the processor because those pins are very soft and unforgiving. Make sure the arrow on the processor lines up according to the motherboard manual. When you put the H70 pump through the mounting bracket, don't push down on the processor when you turn it and tighten it down evenly. They have a good video on the Corsair site showing how to mount this cooler.

That crucial SSD will be a good addition to your original plan. I use an SSD for my OS/boot drive exclusively. I installed the OS and install any drivers on this drive. The OS information is constantly being read/referenced not matter what you're running, so it just makes sense that the information is available as quickly as possible.

The 5770 will not give you a good introduction to PC gaming if you're used to a 360 (I have a couple 360s in my house). It is a very entry-level video card. I guess if you keep that in perspective, it will be ok to start with. It definitely will not "wow" you compared to 360 graphics. You'll need to jump up to something above the $200 (Radeon 5870, 6950 or 6970) mark before you start seeing things that will begin to impress you.

Man... the more I look at that case, the more I think I'll be using one on my next build. I definitely wouldn't call it a case for a "budget" PC by any means, though.

The specs on that power supply look great. You're good to go.

Solution

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

If you can go $250, get a Radeon 6950:

A 1GB 6950 option $235:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161361&cm_re=radeon_6950-_-14-161-361-_-Product
- Has $15 mail-in rebate -

A 2GB 6950 option $270 (better for multiple monitor eyefinity setups):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530&cm_re=radeon_6950-_-14-150-530-_-Product
- Has $30 mail-in rebate + limited lifetime warranty -

If you can go $350 for a 6970 card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127554&cm_re=radeon_6970-_-14-127-554-_-Product
- $325 after rebate shipped -

A 6970, of course, will get you the best performance and quality. The 1GB 6950 option actually performs better at most resolutions on a single monitor while the 6950 2GB is good for multi-monitor setups. Also, there is a way that you can flash the 2GB 6950 card's BIOS so it will operate as a 6970. You can look around the Tom's forum for information on doing so (once you do something like this, though, you void your warranty).

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

well im gonna take a look at the 6950 1gb and see if i can get it cheaper. whats a good monitor to buy. i was looking at the Samsung SyncMaster BX2231 21.5" LED LCD Monitor for $155.

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

i can get that case for $150. i don't like the antec front to back airflow theory.

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Do you have a model number for that asus optical drive. I'm not sure if i purchased the correct one. I ended up getting the Asus DRW-24B1ST. Wondering if thats right.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Totally up to you, but if I was budget limited, I would use the money elsewhere - CPU/GPU, but it's completely up to you.

You could check out the CoolerMaster HAF - I've seen them well below $100 too.

Good luck with the rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.