High core voltage on CPU-Z

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
OK- I just put a new Corsair TX650watt PSU into my Dell XPS Studio 7100, and now CPU-Z shows the Core Voltage of my AMD 1090t at 2.028v. The system is running cool (idle) with Speedfan showing temps of 31- 32c. It's also very stable and showing no problems and seems to be running great.

Am I confused about something, or is this crazy high voltage? Is this some kind of glitch with CPU-Z?

Dell Studio XPS 7100 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD 1090t NOT overclocked running at 3.2 GHz
6 GB DDR3
Radeon HD 5770
Corsair TX650 watt PSU

Solution
If your cpu were really at 2.03 volts, it would be much hotter or fried by now. I sympathise with you and your dealing with dell customer support. I would call them back and insist on a new motherboard. If your board is still under warranty, they should give you one. Their techs are trained to bend over backwards to avoid warranty claims. Maybe next time you can build your own system.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
yes hw monitor shows CPU VCORE 2.03v, but its still running cool. my CPU temp is only 29-30c. Wouldn't it be getting hot if this was really the correct voltage?

plus system is stable, Crysis 2 runs perfect.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I appreciate the answers, but telling me to stop worrying about it is not really helping me o1die. And I only came here for help or advice.

I have an abnormal system reading, so I just wanted to find out why. That's why I wanted to ask for help from "experts."

If I had a new car and something wasn't quite right, I wouldn't be happy with such an answer like this from an expert or mechanic. In other words if my car ran fine and wasn't hot, but the temperature gauge showed it should practically be on fire, then I would want to know what was going on.

I've already called Dell, AMD, and Corsair - but I keep getting brushed off and no one has been able to tell me what this reading means, and/or if I am at risk of damaging my CPU.

I understand now that my computer wouldn't likely be running stable if the CPU V Core was really over 2 volts, but that not explaining why I have this reading.

It's just frustrating.

Make sure you are checking in the hardware monitor or green section of the motherboard bios. Hw monitor may not work correctly for your particular board while using windows. It's a common problem. I couldn't get my biostar hardware monitor software to work in windows 7. Go by the motherboard bios readings. It's not necessary to monitor your cpu voltage at all times while running windows. Once you set the voltage, it won't change during normal applications. But the cpu temp should be monitored if you're overclocking or your room temp is warm.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Apparently I do not have the ability to check any stats in my bios, because its a Dell. It's not an option - they don't allow it, and Dell tech support said I just can't do it.

I've been running several programs in the background to see if it's going to heat up or crash (Excel spreedsheet, Dead Space 2 maxed out settings, iTunes, and I'm typing a paper in Word). It's been turbo'ing up to 3.6 GHz, and is getting warmer (43c) but is still stable (I'm not overclocking, this is just the Phenom II Turbo Core mode).

I called AMD and they said my mobo may be "over volting" the CPU for some reason (which he said is bad), and I needed to call Dell back, but that's pretty much a lost cause if you've ever tried calling them. I was on the phone with them for about 1 hour and a 1/2 last night. And they ended up trying to sell me some kind of registry cleaning software package, and wouldn't or couldn't explain the high voltage reading.

Here's what HW monitor looks like right now:

Hardware monitor ITE IT8721
Voltage 0 6.19 Volts [0x7C] (+12V)
Voltage 1 2.58 Volts [0x7B] (+5V)
Voltage 2 2.03 Volts [0xA9] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 3 1.68 Volts [0x8C] (VIN3)
Voltage 4 2.75 Volts [0xE5] (VIN4)
Voltage 5 1.39 Volts [0x5D] (+3.3V)
Voltage 6 1.21 Volts [0x65] (VIN6)
Voltage 7 1.67 Volts [0x8B] (VIN7)
Voltage 8 1.55 Volts [0x81] (VIN8)
Temperature 0 43°C (109°F) [0x2B] (CPU)
Temperature 1 31°C (87°F) [0x1F] (Mainboard)
Temperature 2 56°C (132°F) [0x38] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 1918 RPM [0x160] (CPU)
Fan 1 1361 RPM [0x1F0] (FANIN1)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0E80

I really dont have any way to check the voltage other than these programs.

If your cpu were really at 2.03 volts, it would be much hotter or fried by now. I sympathise with you and your dealing with dell customer support. I would call them back and insist on a new motherboard. If your board is still under warranty, they should give you one. Their techs are trained to bend over backwards to avoid warranty claims. Maybe next time you can build your own system.

Solution

TehJumpingJawa

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Probably a bit late now but my Phenom II X6 1055T Dell XPS 7100 shows the same symptoms.
Both CPU-Z & Everest report the wrong Voltage (1.992V).

However AMD's OverDrive tool reports what seems a much more plausable voltage range; 1.15 - 1.4V.

I guess CPU-Z & Everest are just incompatible with the Dell motherboard.