Sign in with
Your question

ATI Driver's causing frequent Crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2011 11:59:57 PM

Hello. About a month ago I got a brand new 5870 made by sapphire, from Newegg. Put it in and it worked fine for three days. On the third day, the graphics drivers started crashing and eventually my whole computer crashed to a black screen (BSOD did not appear). I restarted but this time it went about 30 minutes before crashing similiarly.

I did the first thing to do, and I uninstalled the ATI drivers, and re-installed them. Worked great, for three days. Same exact thing, drivers started crashing in three days, then black screens. I re-installed again. Did that about 4x until i gave up. I proceeded to wipe all the drivers (I had a old 4890 i thought conflicting drivers might of been installed) used driver cleaners and even cleaned my registry. After all this the same thing happened upon putting ATI drivers on.

One time i uninstalled ATI drivers, and windows installed its drivers as usual, but this time i decided i would leave the windows drivers on instead of replacing them with ATI drivers like normally. No crashing drivers or crashes for a week or two. No fps drops, everything worked great. However, i went to play the quite popular game Minecraft, and it gave me an error, a Open GL error i do believe. I installed ATI drivers which fixed it, but went right back to crashing every three days.

The fact that different drivers fixed the problem convinced me that it isn't a hardware problem but a software problem. I have tried older ATI drivers and the older ones do not work either. Also when the ATI drivers are installed i notice a black screen that appears for about 1/2 second when Windows tries to bring up the UAC window to allow/disallow a program administrator access. Not apparent when I have windows drivers.

I would like to know what the heck is going on with ATI drivers, and how i can fix it, so i dont have to reinstall my drivers every time i want to play minecraft.

Full Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I7 920 stock clocks
6 GB DDR3 RAM
850 watt power supply, I do not know the amperage, but I checked and its overly sufficient for my system
Creative Fatal1ty sound card
some MSI mother board, don't know the full specs but i can get them on demand

I think that is everything important
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 10:56:39 AM

Well, its POSSIBLE UAC is trying to come up in the background, but the game isnt minimizing. That could leave a black screen that you could Alt-Tab out of to get to UAC to allow the program to run.
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:29:06 PM

gamerk316 said:
Well, its POSSIBLE UAC is trying to come up in the background, but the game isnt minimizing. That could leave a black screen that you could Alt-Tab out of to get to UAC to allow the program to run.

I suppose i forgot to mention the black screen crash crashes to a black screen non responsive to alt tab or task manager.
m
l
!