Automatic reboot and error

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Please see my sig for the spec of my machine. I am using Windows 7 Pro.

I originally had the ASUS P8P67 Pro which had the same issue as I will describe below, it had to be returned anyway due to the chipset and I thought THAT was the reason for the problem. I then had it RMA'd with the same board and the Network Port was faulty, so I though sod this and went with a different model, the WS Revolution. Now I get the same issue as I did with the original board (It is defo Rev3).

I leave my PC on overnight, when I wake in the morning it is on a DOS screen with the below error:

Reboot and select proper boot device
Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I have to turn it off and on again for it to boot (which it does everytime) a reboot will not do the trick.

I have tried the OS SSD in different SATA ports (3g and 6g) and this morning I made sure the OS SSD was firs in the boot priority although I suspect that isn't the issue. The issue must be what is causing it to reboot in the first place, no? I have made sure that no Hibernation or stand by is on my windows session.

Please help Toms hardware community, your my only hope! (haha well nerdy)

Run CMD

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

I got 2 Vertex 3, a TB Archive HDD and 3 Backup Hot Swap HDDs. The OS is on a 120 GB Vertex 3.

When I got the error message, first my idea was a bad or loose connection too. So I removed the SSD, which was connected fine BTW and moved it t another pc, where it was recognized succesfully.

After a lot of searching there appear to be lots of problems with the SATA ports. For example, there's the issue where the pc would freeze for about a minute, and then would continue happily. Event log shows :

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

The solution for this was to enable 'Hot Swap' in BIOS. (the VERTEX 3 isn't hot swap !) http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?87197-SOLVED-Vertex-3-Huge-Windows-freezes-due-to-iaStor0-device-problem

Remember the P8P67 board had to be taken back for revision, (SATA Controller problem) ?? Well, if you ask me there are still problems with the SATA controllers....

Think of it : pc dies, reboots, doesn't recognize OS SSD anymore. Power off, on, boot, and SSD is again recognized .... that's a board problem if you ask me ....

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Turns out it wasn't the board. I replaced my SATA cable and reformatted my SSD to resolve. I'm afriad I didn't do one then the other to test but rather both at the same time so I'm not sure which one resolved the issue, but my money would by on the SATA cable.