Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Starheat distribution

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:50:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

How common are stars with a Starheat of >90?

Stars seem to max out at 89 in a game I'm playing.

More about : starheat distribution

August 15, 2005 3:19:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

> How common are stars with a Starheat of >90?
>
> Stars seem to max out at 89 in a game I'm playing.

That depends entirely on the map you're playing on.

Maps generated with ClusterGen have an even distribution of stars, so
there's a 1 in 21 chance for each star to be a Blue Giant (90-94 star
heat).

However, I just looked at the Echo Cluster and found that there are
only 4 Blue Giants in the whole map (500 planets total), so Tim
apparently makes them less common in his maps.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:16:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Holy Cripes... Checked an old game on Yale and a couple of scripts
created with Scriptz0r.

Found only a handful on that entire map and only a couple of those were
>90.

The Solorian high growth rate is essentially a non-factor unless they
are very lucky.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:13:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Additionally, as high growth is the exception and not the rule, the
Resource Point modification for having a high growth rate should be
removed.

Or extend the range of temperature at which the growth rate is high.
Perhaps starheat > 87, which would raise the number from 20% of Blue
Giants to 33% of Blue Giants and 15% of Red Giants (Assuming starheat
is linear within a star types range).

I think Blue Giants are only at most 1% of the star population and Red
Giants are maybe 5%. So it would raise the number of potential high
growth worlds from a handfull (1-5) to probably 3-12 on the entire map.

An alternate solution (though probably still resulting in too few high
growth worlds) is to remove the starheat restriction and restrict the
high growth formula to only Blue Giants. So a Blue Giant with starheat
74 would get the accelterated growth, while a Red Giant with starheat
90 would not.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:32:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

**Additionally, as high growth is the exception and not the rule, the
Resource Point modification for having a high growth rate should be
removed.**

I agree...
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:40:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

I found one issue that could be a major problem for Solorian players on
a normally Mastered map.

Star Type seems to have a default which remains identical from game to
game.
I checked a couple of old games and several test runs (all on Yale) and
in all games there were 3 Blue Giants in the same positions in all
games. All 3 are also clustered fairly close together and not spread
across the map.

(Side note, one test game only had two Blue Giants because the Solorian
player's Homeworld ended up on one of those 3 locations, which forced
it to become a Green Binary. What extremely lousy luck!)
August 16, 2005 10:50:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

> Star Type seems to have a default which remains identical from game to
> game.
> I checked a couple of old games and several test runs (all on Yale) and
> in all games there were 3 Blue Giants in the same positions in all
> games. All 3 are also clustered fairly close together and not spread
> across the map.


That is correct. The star type is determined by the map and will not
be randomized. Perhaps we could request that Tim randomize the star
type when mastering a new game from an existing map? I can't see much
reason for why you'd want to leave it the same every game.

- Roger
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:42:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Amaranthine wrote:
> Holy Cripes... Checked an old game on Yale and a couple of scripts
> created with Scriptz0r.
> Found only a handful on that entire map and only a couple of those were
>90.

Yale takes the startype from the astronomical database. Most actual
stars are small and red, I pruned those. Most useful ones are "main
sequence". Giants of any sort are rare as they burn fast and only last a
few million years.

With Yale (and -lite) you get a sad and boring realistic distribution.
Start Wreck it ain't.
August 21, 2005 11:48:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

On a previous thread a couple of months ago, I mentioned that star heat
distribution wasn't evenly distributed.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.vgaplanets4/br...

The game that I mentioned, Echo War, which I'm still playing as
Soliarions I have found only 1 planet at 90> out of 381 that I have
scans for. The planet heat found was only 90. The map is Echo War.

I find it interesting that a map type (based upon informaiton on this
thread) or the generation vehicle influences the star heat.

Porthos
August 23, 2005 11:42:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

It seems as if the star heat distribution went in increments of 4 for
each star type starting at 14, so with the number of stars being 21,
there was a maximum star heat of 94. If we assume that the game map is
not cluttered with "useless" stars that don't have any inhabitable
planets, then the distribution of stars should probably be a bell curve
towards the middle range instead of linear like it is now. Most races
prefer this middle range, so it would make galactic conflict that much
more prominent. Here is my suggestion:
star = RND * 10 + RND * 10 + 1
star_heat = (star * 50 / 10.5) + RND * 10 - 5
climate = RND * 100
Then put a MIN / MAX on star_heat of 0 and 100.

Also, star heat should not determine planet climate as we assume that
there is one inhabitable planet in a star system, which could be any
distance away from the star. That distance may only change slightly
depending on the orbit of the planet, but instead of going towards the
heat of the star, it should just vary in a cycle +-10. The star type
or heat doesn't change for millions of turns (and I don't want to play
a game for that long), which would affect the planet. Terraforming a
planet would take it away from its climate that is dependant on the
distance from the star and the star heat, so a terraformed planet
should tend to go back to its original climate.

The Star Heat and Planet Climate currently (looks good in fixed font):
Type Star Heat Planet Climate
Brown Dwarf 0-14 0-29
Neutron Star 0-18 0-33
White Dwarf 2-22 0-37
Blue Dwarf 6-26 0-41
Binary Red 10-30 0-45
Orange 14-34 0-49
Orange Yellow 18-38 3-53
Yellow 22-42 7-57
Neutron Yellow Binary 26-46 11-61
Red White 30-50 15-65
Red Yellow Binary 34-54 19-69
Yellow / Yellow Binary 38-58 23-73
White 42-62 27-77
White / Yellow Binary 46-66 31-81
White / White Binar 50-70 35-85
Yellow White 54-74 39-89
Yellow Trinary 58-78 41-91
Green 62-82 45-95
Binary Green 66-86 49-99
Red Giant 70-90 53-100
Blue Giant 74-94 57-100

My suggestion:
Type Star Heat Planet Climate % Appearance
Brown Dwarf 0-9 0-100 1%
Neutron Star 4-14 0-100 2%
White Dwarf 9-19 0-100 2%
Blue Dwarf 14-24 0-100 3%
Binary Red 18-28 0-100 4%
Orange 23-33 0-100 5%
Orange Yellow 28-38 0-100 6%
Yellow 33-43 0-100 7%
Neutron Yellow Binary 37-47 0-100 7%
Red White 42-52 0-100 8%
Red Yellow Binary 47-57 0-100 9%
Yellow / Yellow Binary 52-62 0-100 8%
White 56-66 0-100 7%
White / Yellow Binary 61-71 0-100 7%
White / White Binar 66-76 0-100 6%
Yellow White 71-81 0-100 5%
Yellow Trinary 75-85 0-100 4%
Green 80-90 0-100 3%
Binary Green 85-95 0-100 2%
Red Giant 90-100 0-100 2%
Blue Giant 95-100 0-100 1%
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:41:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

I can't make a game with a Type 21 star in it. I write the script or use one
that has a type 21 star, but Master.exe seems to reduce those to type 20s.

Someone else should test this, but it is the case for me. (Hmm, you probably
should test the type 0s too). Master may be truncating that star range to a
smaller range.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:39:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

What do you mean "should"? The map designer will do as his design
concept says.

There is no "should".

Magik wrote:
> It seems as if the star heat distribution went in increments of 4 for
> each star type starting at 14, so with the number of stars being 21,
> there was a maximum star heat of 94. If we assume that the game map is
> not cluttered with "useless" stars that don't have any inhabitable
> planets, then the distribution of stars should probably be a bell curve
> towards the middle range instead of linear like it is now. Most races
> prefer this middle range, so it would make galactic conflict that much
> more prominent. Here is my suggestion:
> star = RND * 10 + RND * 10 + 1
> star_heat = (star * 50 / 10.5) + RND * 10 - 5
> climate = RND * 100
> Then put a MIN / MAX on star_heat of 0 and 100.
>
> Also, star heat should not determine planet climate as we assume that
> there is one inhabitable planet in a star system, which could be any
> distance away from the star. That distance may only change slightly
> depending on the orbit of the planet, but instead of going towards the
> heat of the star, it should just vary in a cycle +-10. The star type
> or heat doesn't change for millions of turns (and I don't want to play
> a game for that long), which would affect the planet. Terraforming a
> planet would take it away from its climate that is dependant on the
> distance from the star and the star heat, so a terraformed planet
> should tend to go back to its original climate.
>
> The Star Heat and Planet Climate currently (looks good in fixed font):
> Type Star Heat Planet Climate
> Brown Dwarf 0-14 0-29
> Neutron Star 0-18 0-33
> White Dwarf 2-22 0-37
> Blue Dwarf 6-26 0-41
> Binary Red 10-30 0-45
> Orange 14-34 0-49
> Orange Yellow 18-38 3-53
> Yellow 22-42 7-57
> Neutron Yellow Binary 26-46 11-61
> Red White 30-50 15-65
> Red Yellow Binary 34-54 19-69
> Yellow / Yellow Binary 38-58 23-73
> White 42-62 27-77
> White / Yellow Binary 46-66 31-81
> White / White Binar 50-70 35-85
> Yellow White 54-74 39-89
> Yellow Trinary 58-78 41-91
> Green 62-82 45-95
> Binary Green 66-86 49-99
> Red Giant 70-90 53-100
> Blue Giant 74-94 57-100
>
> My suggestion:
> Type Star Heat Planet Climate % Appearance
> Brown Dwarf 0-9 0-100 1%
> Neutron Star 4-14 0-100 2%
> White Dwarf 9-19 0-100 2%
> Blue Dwarf 14-24 0-100 3%
> Binary Red 18-28 0-100 4%
> Orange 23-33 0-100 5%
> Orange Yellow 28-38 0-100 6%
> Yellow 33-43 0-100 7%
> Neutron Yellow Binary 37-47 0-100 7%
> Red White 42-52 0-100 8%
> Red Yellow Binary 47-57 0-100 9%
> Yellow / Yellow Binary 52-62 0-100 8%
> White 56-66 0-100 7%
> White / Yellow Binary 61-71 0-100 7%
> White / White Binar 66-76 0-100 6%
> Yellow White 71-81 0-100 5%
> Yellow Trinary 75-85 0-100 4%
> Green 80-90 0-100 3%
> Binary Green 85-95 0-100 2%
> Red Giant 90-100 0-100 2%
> Blue Giant 95-100 0-100 1%
>
!