Starheat distribution

How common are stars with a Starheat of >90?

Stars seem to max out at 89 in a game I'm playing.
11 answers Last reply
More about starheat distribution

    > How common are stars with a Starheat of >90?
    >
    > Stars seem to max out at 89 in a game I'm playing.

    That depends entirely on the map you're playing on.

    Maps generated with ClusterGen have an even distribution of stars, so
    there's a 1 in 21 chance for each star to be a Blue Giant (90-94 star
    heat).

    However, I just looked at the Echo Cluster and found that there are
    only 4 Blue Giants in the whole map (500 planets total), so Tim
    apparently makes them less common in his maps.

    Holy Cripes... Checked an old game on Yale and a couple of scripts
    created with Scriptz0r.

    Found only a handful on that entire map and only a couple of those were
    >90.

    The Solorian high growth rate is essentially a non-factor unless they
    are very lucky.

    Additionally, as high growth is the exception and not the rule, the
    Resource Point modification for having a high growth rate should be
    removed.

    Or extend the range of temperature at which the growth rate is high.
    Perhaps starheat > 87, which would raise the number from 20% of Blue
    Giants to 33% of Blue Giants and 15% of Red Giants (Assuming starheat
    is linear within a star types range).

    I think Blue Giants are only at most 1% of the star population and Red
    Giants are maybe 5%. So it would raise the number of potential high
    growth worlds from a handfull (1-5) to probably 3-12 on the entire map.

    An alternate solution (though probably still resulting in too few high
    growth worlds) is to remove the starheat restriction and restrict the
    high growth formula to only Blue Giants. So a Blue Giant with starheat
    74 would get the accelterated growth, while a Red Giant with starheat
    90 would not.

    **Additionally, as high growth is the exception and not the rule, the
    Resource Point modification for having a high growth rate should be
    removed.**

    I agree...

    I found one issue that could be a major problem for Solorian players on
    a normally Mastered map.

    Star Type seems to have a default which remains identical from game to
    game.
    I checked a couple of old games and several test runs (all on Yale) and
    in all games there were 3 Blue Giants in the same positions in all
    games. All 3 are also clustered fairly close together and not spread
    across the map.

    (Side note, one test game only had two Blue Giants because the Solorian
    player's Homeworld ended up on one of those 3 locations, which forced
    it to become a Green Binary. What extremely lousy luck!)

    > Star Type seems to have a default which remains identical from game to
    > game.
    > I checked a couple of old games and several test runs (all on Yale) and
    > in all games there were 3 Blue Giants in the same positions in all
    > games. All 3 are also clustered fairly close together and not spread
    > across the map.

    That is correct. The star type is determined by the map and will not
    be randomized. Perhaps we could request that Tim randomize the star
    type when mastering a new game from an existing map? I can't see much
    reason for why you'd want to leave it the same every game.

    - Roger

    Amaranthine wrote:
    > Holy Cripes... Checked an old game on Yale and a couple of scripts
    > created with Scriptz0r.
    > Found only a handful on that entire map and only a couple of those were
    >90.

    Yale takes the startype from the astronomical database. Most actual
    stars are small and red, I pruned those. Most useful ones are "main
    sequence". Giants of any sort are rare as they burn fast and only last a
    few million years.

    With Yale (and -lite) you get a sad and boring realistic distribution.
    Start Wreck it ain't.

    On a previous thread a couple of months ago, I mentioned that star heat
    distribution wasn't evenly distributed.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.vgaplanets4/browse_thread/thread/3b61f0483534a3d0/471750fe989ae28b?q=star+heat&rnum=2&hl=en#471750fe989ae28b

    The game that I mentioned, Echo War, which I'm still playing as
    Soliarions I have found only 1 planet at 90> out of 381 that I have
    scans for. The planet heat found was only 90. The map is Echo War.

    I find it interesting that a map type (based upon informaiton on this
    thread) or the generation vehicle influences the star heat.

    Porthos

    It seems as if the star heat distribution went in increments of 4 for
    each star type starting at 14, so with the number of stars being 21,
    there was a maximum star heat of 94. If we assume that the game map is
    not cluttered with "useless" stars that don't have any inhabitable
    planets, then the distribution of stars should probably be a bell curve
    towards the middle range instead of linear like it is now. Most races
    prefer this middle range, so it would make galactic conflict that much
    more prominent. Here is my suggestion:
    star = RND * 10 + RND * 10 + 1
    star_heat = (star * 50 / 10.5) + RND * 10 - 5
    climate = RND * 100
    Then put a MIN / MAX on star_heat of 0 and 100.

    Also, star heat should not determine planet climate as we assume that
    there is one inhabitable planet in a star system, which could be any
    distance away from the star. That distance may only change slightly
    depending on the orbit of the planet, but instead of going towards the
    heat of the star, it should just vary in a cycle +-10. The star type
    or heat doesn't change for millions of turns (and I don't want to play
    a game for that long), which would affect the planet. Terraforming a
    planet would take it away from its climate that is dependant on the
    distance from the star and the star heat, so a terraformed planet
    should tend to go back to its original climate.

    The Star Heat and Planet Climate currently (looks good in fixed font):
    Type Star Heat Planet Climate
    Brown Dwarf 0-14 0-29
    Neutron Star 0-18 0-33
    White Dwarf 2-22 0-37
    Blue Dwarf 6-26 0-41
    Binary Red 10-30 0-45
    Orange 14-34 0-49
    Orange Yellow 18-38 3-53
    Yellow 22-42 7-57
    Neutron Yellow Binary 26-46 11-61
    Red White 30-50 15-65
    Red Yellow Binary 34-54 19-69
    Yellow / Yellow Binary 38-58 23-73
    White 42-62 27-77
    White / Yellow Binary 46-66 31-81
    White / White Binar 50-70 35-85
    Yellow White 54-74 39-89
    Yellow Trinary 58-78 41-91
    Green 62-82 45-95
    Binary Green 66-86 49-99
    Red Giant 70-90 53-100
    Blue Giant 74-94 57-100

    My suggestion:
    Type Star Heat Planet Climate % Appearance
    Brown Dwarf 0-9 0-100 1%
    Neutron Star 4-14 0-100 2%
    White Dwarf 9-19 0-100 2%
    Blue Dwarf 14-24 0-100 3%
    Binary Red 18-28 0-100 4%
    Orange 23-33 0-100 5%
    Orange Yellow 28-38 0-100 6%
    Yellow 33-43 0-100 7%
    Neutron Yellow Binary 37-47 0-100 7%
    Red White 42-52 0-100 8%
    Red Yellow Binary 47-57 0-100 9%
    Yellow / Yellow Binary 52-62 0-100 8%
    White 56-66 0-100 7%
    White / Yellow Binary 61-71 0-100 7%
    White / White Binar 66-76 0-100 6%
    Yellow White 71-81 0-100 5%
    Yellow Trinary 75-85 0-100 4%
    Green 80-90 0-100 3%
    Binary Green 85-95 0-100 2%
    Red Giant 90-100 0-100 2%
    Blue Giant 95-100 0-100 1%
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I can't make a game with a Type 21 star in it. I write the script or use one
    that has a type 21 star, but Master.exe seems to reduce those to type 20s.

    Someone else should test this, but it is the case for me. (Hmm, you probably
    should test the type 0s too). Master may be truncating that star range to a
    smaller range.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    What do you mean "should"? The map designer will do as his design
    concept says.

    There is no "should".

Distribution Games Video Games