My motherboard is faulty or not?

xninelives

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I have been having so many god damn issues with this computer and I think it really does come down to the motherboard and I need to replace it. I by the way have the ASUS P9X79 WS.

1st. When I got the motherboard and I setup my computer I find that one DIMM slot is damaged (trust me I've tried reseating the ram in different places, it comes out to be the 3rd slot from the left.)
2nd. My bios settings are not being remembered sometimes. I go into the BIOS after doing changing settings and next time I come back and they are reset. (trust me I haven't made some critical setting change for my motherboard, as a safety precaution, to revert the settings I had made.)
3rd. SLI seems to work half the time. I boot up and it works. Then sometimes it doesn't work. Its not the card thats not working, I've tested it. When SLI is not working I go into the bios to change my preset in the EZ mode (Power Saver, Normal, Optimal) to normal which usually I think enables SLI on the board. You'd think it would be a one time thing to enable SLI in the bios, but no, it just randomly doesn't work sometimes.
4th I've been getting random freezing! Just randomly or at startup my computer completely crashes. I then get error code 0x00000116 which is a video card error but I honestly doubt it. I reinstalled drivers, and recently reformatted my hard drive. Still is happening.

I'm thinking of just returning this motherboard, since returns from the seller I purchased from are easy. Should I return it and buy a ASUS Rampage lV extreme? I can fit it in my case and everything, and I'd bet it be way more stable. Should I return it or do you guys have any help towards the issues I have listed above.

Computer Specs other than the Motherboard (Just in case):
Intel 3930K (obviously)
Corsair AX850
Samsung Bluray Drive
H100
GTX 470 SLI
WD Caviar Black 500GB
800D

BanditBrady

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Do people RMA after the warranty has expired? I have a bad mobo, but haven't even worked with MSI due to the warranty being expired, and the product no longer being sold.

thanks,

bandit

D

Deleted member 217926

Just having a bad RAM slot is reason enough. If you are sure it's a bad slot and not bad RAM. You have tried multiple sticks in that slot right?

All of your problems could be bad RAM or a bad motherboard so make sure it's not bad RAM and if you can rule that out it's the board.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's better to start a new thread. ;)

After the warranty has expired you would have to buy a new board.

xninelives

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Its a bad slot alright. Tried 8 different sticks in it.