Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First post, first build... what do you guys think?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 29, 2011 3:55:10 PM

Okay, this is my first time on the site so I appologize in advance if I made any mistakes in posting this or missed a sticky I needed to read prior to posting. But here's a little run down of my situation.

First off, here is a link to the Newegg wishlist I put together.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I'd like to be able to do some gaming, it doesn't need to be super high quality but I'd like to play WoW (eventually Diablo 3) and get into some more PC games since I've been on a MBP the past three years.

I also plan on purchasing a 32" 1080p TV as my monitor. Planning on using this as a gaming/media center type machine for my bedroom. Is there anything that will prevent me from doing this? Will the quality be okay on such a large screen? Considering the setup will be in my bedroom I won't ever been extremely far away from the screen 4 - 6 ft max. Also, this may be a dumb question but would there be any advantage to putting a TV tuner card in the machine since I can just take my coax cable straight to the TV?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice/suggestions!



Approximate Purchase Date: 1 - 2 months

Budget Range: 600-700 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, web surfing, movies (including streaming movies/tv shows)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor???, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: No particular preference, however pretty dead set on AMD CPU considering price difference and great reviews.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: ????

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Will this build be particularly loud?

More about : post build guys

March 29, 2011 4:29:35 PM

Mild gaming, ehh? GPU looks fine for that.

I do say you should change to some G-Skill RAM, just a better brand.

Rosewill PSUs are alright, though I would recommend spend a few more bucks for a OCz or Corsair, 500W would suffice.

The Destroyer case with its three 120MM fans is pretty loud (I own one), its not bad unless you want whisper quiet. There are two 1200 RPM Fans and one 2000 RPM fan, I would say disabling the 2000RPM fan would quiet it down a little, but also heat it up. However the case has loads of ventilation and spaces for four more 120MM fans, if you really want the thing to buzz, lol.

Overall its not a bad first build.
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 5:19:18 PM

mattius92 said:
Mild gaming, ehh? GPU looks fine for that.

I do say you should change to some G-Skill RAM, just a better brand.

Rosewill PSUs are alright, though I would recommend spend a few more bucks for a OCz or Corsair, 500W would suffice.

The Destroyer case with its three 120MM fans is pretty loud (I own one), its not bad unless you want whisper quiet. There are two 1200 RPM Fans and one 2000 RPM fan, I would say disabling the 2000RPM fan would quiet it down a little, but also heat it up. However the case has loads of ventilation and spaces for four more 120MM fans, if you really want the thing to buzz, lol.

Overall its not a bad first build.



Thanks for the advice. I noticed that this particular case has a lot of fans so I figured it would be quite noisy. But it looks nice for the price.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 29, 2011 5:32:54 PM

You should save yourself some money and get the X4 955, which is exactly the same as the 965, just has it's multiplier one notch higher by default. So even if you don't overclock it, the performance difference will hardly be worth the extra cost.
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 5:36:49 PM

Silvune said:
You should save yourself some money and get the X4 955, which is exactly the same as the 965, just has it's multiplier one notch higher by default. So even if you don't overclock it, the performance difference will hardly be worth the extra cost.


Yea, your probably right I won't notice/see a performance difference. That saves me $20!
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 6:12:52 PM

Some thoughts for you:

1) A TV that is multipurposed seems like a good idea to me. You might even want to get one a bit larger than 32" if you will be 4-6 feet away. Your resolution will be 1080P(1920 x 1080) regardless of the tv size.

2) A TV card might be used for a dvr application in your pc. But, most cable systems need a cable box to get any substantial number of channels, leaving a TV card only able to get over the air channels. I think I would not put one in, at least initially.

3) I would prefer to use a quality name brand psu instead of rosewill. Look to Corsair, PC P&C, Antec, Seasonic, or XFX. 500w or better is ok.

4) For a case, I would prefer the Antec Solo. It is a quiet case which would work better in a bedroom.
It has sound deadening panels and other quiet features. It will hold graphics cards up to 10"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5) Would you consider a sandy bridge build? Sandy bridge is 15% faster than amd on a clock for clock basis, and that seems to be the most important thing for the cpu component of gaming. At the same price point, you can get a i3-2120 @3.3. It is a dual core with hyperthreading. Very few games can make use of more than two cores. Such a cpu will also run cooler and quieter because of the 32nm construction. A motherboard will cost about the same.
If you can budget a bit more, you can get a 2500K which will last you a long time.

5) Can you budget for an aftermarket cooler? A decent cooler, like the CM hyper212 is only $30 or so, and will keep your cpu cooler and quieter.

6) Are you a student with a .edu e-mail address? If so, look into an academic license .

------------good luck----------------
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 7:01:56 PM

geofelt said:
Some thoughts for you:

1) A TV that is multipurposed seems like a good idea to me. You might even want to get one a bit larger than 32" if you will be 4-6 feet away. Your resolution will be 1080P(1920 x 1080) regardless of the tv size.

2) A TV card might be used for a dvr application in your pc. But, most cable systems need a cable box to get any substantial number of channels, leaving a TV card only able to get over the air channels. I think I would not put one in, at least initially.

3) I would prefer to use a quality name brand psu instead of rosewill. Look to Corsair, PC P&C, Antec, Seasonic, or XFX. 500w or better is ok.

4) For a case, I would prefer the Antec Solo. It is a quiet case which would work better in a bedroom.
It has sound deadening panels and other quiet features. It will hold graphics cards up to 10"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5) Would you consider a sandy bridge build? Sandy bridge is 15% faster than amd on a clock for clock basis, and that seems to be the most important thing for the cpu component of gaming. At the same price point, you can get a i3-2120 @3.3. It is a dual core with hyperthreading. Very few games can make use of more than two cores. Such a cpu will also run cooler and quieter because of the 32nm construction. A motherboard will cost about the same.
If you can budget a bit more, you can get a 2500K which will last you a long time.

5) Can you budget for an aftermarket cooler? A decent cooler, like the CM hyper212 is only $30 or so, and will keep your cpu cooler and quieter.

6) Are you a student with a .edu e-mail address? If so, look into an academic license .

------------good luck----------------


Great info. Thanks.
2)More I think about it the less I think I will need a tuner card. Looks like the only advantage it would have is DVR capabilities.

3)Considering this is the second post about getting a better PSU I'll look into Corsair. Never really put much thought into a quality PSU but can see how that is a major part of the system.

4)I would like a quiet-er case, it will just be a matter of $$$ at the end.

5) Honestly, not familiar with what a sandy bridge build is. I'll get researching after I post this. Is it just a Intel based mobo and CPU?

5) $30 doesn't seem like too much for a CPU cooler. Never have thought about an additional cooler, I think this will be one of those "can I afford it" when it comes to purchase time.

6) Unfortunatley I don't have a .edu email address anymore. Would this give me a discount on hardware? I know it will when purchasing an OS but I will be able to find a resonable OS price (LEGAL! haha) through my employer.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 8:02:30 AM

Usually it is safer to avoid Rosewill, but that particular unit has been positively reviewed at hardwaresecrets, so I would trust it to a certain extent. A Corsair CX will not be a significant upgrade, despite being from a better 'brand', so don't get one from that line.

This is a good one and will be enough for a build with one GTX 460:
Antec Earthwatts Green EA-500D 80Plus Bronze $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Doesn't come with a power cord, so you would need to get one from elsewhere.

The Antec Sonata IV comes with a good power supply - the Neo Eco 620C, which is based on the Seasonic S12II Bronze 620W model, but some of the internal components aren't as high quality and thus doesn't quite reach 80Plus Bronze level efficiency. It may be a good buy depending on the price.
m
0
l
!