Sign in with
Your question

OC msi gtx 460 (cyclone cooler)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2011 3:36:20 AM

what should I use to test my overclock? What is dangerously high speed for the memory without a heatsink on them? ***I'M ASKING FOR A GOOD STABILITY TESTING PROGRAM***

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
^I have this card.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-CrossFireX-R6850-CYCLONE-PE/d...
^I wish I had this card.

(I'm only overclocking to justify my purchase :D  ) I know both card are good though.

Currently running 828/1656/950 with stock voltage. All I have tested with so far is crysis and unigine v2. What should I use to make sure it is stable?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 4:22:52 AM

Both cards are nice. For gpu overclocking i use MSI afterburner, many options, nice looks and most importantly, its accurate and good.
m
l
January 25, 2011 5:11:53 AM

I've been using afterburner, and it is very good accept I can not get my fan profile to stick... default one is good, so it does not really matter. I mean for stability testing, I should have been more clear, my bad.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 5:37:17 AM

You could try Furmark, but it generally draws more power and generates more heat than any game ever would.

MSI's Kombustor, which is based on Furmark, is another option, but has the same caveat.

Unigine's Heaven Benchmark ver2.1 is what I usually use.
m
l
January 25, 2011 6:00:03 AM

How long should I run to make sure? Furmark really burns my card up, yikes :( 

Can anyone answer my question about dangerous speeds for memory? Also, does it stop scaling at some point?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 6:13:03 AM

Well i have my gtx 460 at 840 core clock, 1680 shader, and 2000 memory clock, and with a custom fan profile, my card doesnt go above 65, even with ambient temps being 30.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 7:24:26 AM

My GTX460 is OCed to 850(core)-1700(shader)-4000(memory) with stock voltage(1V). This is the max OC HD6850 can achieve with its own stock voltage(1.094V) according to Anandtech.

Anandtech - AMD Radeon HD 6850 Overclocking Roundup: Asus, XFX, & MSI
Quote:
1. All of the cards could hit 850MHz core at stock voltage
2. All of the cards could hit 940MHz core at 1.172v, the 6870 load voltage
3. We had to give the cards significantly more voltage to get above 940MHz. This culminated at 1.22v on the Asus and MSI cards for 960MHz

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 7:32:52 AM

sparkle_ftw said:
How long should I run to make sure? Furmark really burns my card up, yikes :( 

IMO, it should be fine as long as you finish Heaven benchmark without error and pass at least 15 minutes Furmark stress test.
m
l
January 25, 2011 9:02:05 PM

oh wow, my 460 only gets tp 56C! I thought that was hot, but not compared to other 460s! hahahaha, awesome it is stable. So this is a good memory testing too right, not just core and shaders?
m
l
January 26, 2011 4:37:38 AM

Is it safe safe to OC memory even though they are not being cooled directly?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2011 5:48:29 AM

sparkle_ftw said:
Is it safe safe to OC memory even though they are not being cooled directly?

No idea, but my one does have memory heatsink.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2011 5:55:16 AM

sparkle_ftw said:
oh wow, my 460 only gets tp 56C! I thought that was hot, but not compared to other 460s! hahahaha, awesome it is stable. So this is a good memory testing too right, not just core and shaders?

GPU temperature depends on OC, cooler, case and ambient temperature. For instance, my CPU's idle temperature varies from 25C-39C depending on the ambient temperature.
m
l
January 27, 2011 4:52:47 AM

Yeah mine does not. But apparently it is considering the card I wanted as them bare and it is up by 400. Right now I'm at 1900 and that's stable. I read that if I put it too high on drr5 it'll actually be slower, if anyone has an explanation to that? What should I shoot for on a memory overclock?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 7:21:34 AM

sparkle_ftw said:
Right now I'm at 1900 and that's stable. I read that if I put it too high on drr5 it'll actually be slower, if anyone has an explanation to that? What should I shoot for on a memory overclock?

It is only true for nVidia cards which have worse memory controller.

However, anything below 4000(2x2000) should be fine as this is the frequency offered by EVGA GTX460 FTW and GTX560 Ti which are based on same/similar architecture.
m
l
January 27, 2011 10:26:11 PM

Just happen to come across this thread while messing with the OC on my own card (same exact one) and thought I'd throw in my thoughts...and show off a little. If you're willing to mess with the voltage, and Afterburner makes it very easy, you can get some fantastic overclocks. I pushed my voltage up to 1.062v with Afterburner (not even the max it allows) and got an OC of 900/1800/2000 on my card. Ran these settings in Kombustor, with 32xQ AA, for just over 15mins and temps never went above 57c. And, the framerate increased by about 10fps over stock.
I have other OC profiles saved in Afterburner that fill in the spaces between stock and my stated OC. Only pushed the voltage twice (the other bump was to 1.050v) when trying all these out and..well I'm def happy with the results. I've even run Kombuster for over an hour with the lower OC's and 57c is the highest temp I've ever gotten. AAAANNND it never even sits at 57, bumps up against it for a second or two then drops to 56.
Of course, I've got excellent airflow in my case. Which includes a 120mm fan on the side panel right over the card, which has its own temp monitor resting right against the GPU's heatspreader. So when the "cyclone" heatsink spins up, so does this fan (remains comparitively quiet to boo). This is probably contributing a lot to my temps, but it shows what's possible with this card and the software MSI included with it. I'm including Kombustor in that statement because it (and FurMark) will go a lot farther towards pushing you card to instability than any real-world gaming scenario would.
So...yeah, push the voltage, OC like a madman and run Kombustor. You'll be grinning in no time.
m
l
January 30, 2011 4:10:17 AM

my voltage slider will not work, don't I have to do something to my card first? I've also heard that overvolted fermi cards, not especially but also the 460, start sky rocketing in power consumption. How true is that?
m
l
January 30, 2011 4:31:26 AM

no sparkle, all you have to do is hit settings in msi afterburner and than in the general tab, near the bottom, it says unlock voltage control, click it and click on the unlock voltage monitoring, and you're good to go
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2011 8:23:13 PM

sparkle_ftw said:
my voltage slider will not work, don't I have to do something to my card first? I've also heard that overvolted fermi cards, not especially but also the 460, start sky rocketing in power consumption. How true is that?

Settings > General tab > Safety Properties, then tick Unlock Voltage Control.
m
l
January 30, 2011 10:00:28 PM

Do you guys know how to make the fan settings stick too?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2011 10:10:51 PM

That function doesn't work properly. It would only work if you set the fan to a fixed speed.
m
l
!