I have a gtx 285 should I buy another one or buy a gtx 460 x 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I already own a gtx 285, I was thinking about buying another one for $149.00 to put it in sli. I don't know what I should do because I am very intrested in buying a gtx 460 1 gb in put it in sli. What do you guys think?

Solution
As long as you have the PSU for it I say just get another GTX285 to run in SLI. Sure two GTX 460 1GB cards would be faster, but it's also going to cost you more. Also, the difference in DX10 vs DX11 is currently pretty small. I haven't seen any games really make use of the shader improvements and the benefit of tessellation is often hard to see without pausing a game. I do hope that will change soon, but for now that's the way it is.
of course GTX460 in SLI will be better. in term of raw performance it should be faster than GTX480. but for me i will try to avoid multi gpu setup because of its complexity. i rather have more powerful single gpu setup. you have to remember that multi gpu depends a lot on scaling and driver support. other than that some games does not like multi gpu stuff at all. for the single card most of the game should work right away with no scaling issues or micro stutter (that always comes with multi gpu setup)

maybe you better off with 6950/6970/570/580

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
No offense to renz, but I have had about 12 different GPU combinations, some with one powerful GPU (1X GTX 480, 1X 8800GTX), setups with ONE card with TWO GPU's ( 9800GX2, 4870X2) other setups with 2X medium range GPUS (like 460 in SLI) and also very powerful cards together ( 5870 crossfire, GTX 570 SLI, even Tri-fire 48701GB).

The point I want to make is that I know what I am talking about when it comes to single, double, and even multi-gpu setups.

While it is true that microstutter was an issue with crossfire/SLI ( I noticed this on my 9800GX2, and a little bit on my 4870X2) The problem is just about dissolved these days. Anyone who is still claiming microstutter either does not own a current gen SLI/CF configuration, or has not experienced the phenomenon themselves.

When it comes to driver support, anyone will tell you that these days, driver support for multi-gpu support is just as good as single card setups. Now the drivers themselves may be poor (Every now and then Nvidia and ATI just let out a dud driver) But poor driver release will affect everyone, and not usually specifically those with multiple cards.

While I will not contest the point that 'some games do not like multi-gpu stuff at all' there are few games these days that fit into that category. Most games these days that have issues or will not work with mult-gpu setups, are games that are easily run on a single gpu anyways. Games like Killing Floor, and Sins of a Solar Empire would fall into these categories, also indie titles like Penumbra, or VERY poorly ported games like Mercenaries 2. The point is, any game worth playing these days either has support for multi-gpu setups, or can be run easily with one GPU. And turning off SLI or Crossfire takes a few seconds if you should need to do that.

The last point I would like to expand on from renz's post, is the topic of scaling. These days scaling is almost always at 80% or higher, long gone are the days of 50% scaling and lower. In fact, in many games scaling is around 95-100%, sometimes even going past 100% scaling (although extrememly rare).

Obviously I am a big supporter of mult-gpu setups, there is almost no reason not to, unless there is a power supply or budget restraint.

To answer your direct question ( I did not mean to ramble, but I don't want you to be misled) You would be much better off selling your GTX 285 and purchasing two GTX 460 1GB for SLI. You simply cannot get better performance for your money. Not to mention DX11, which often times will INCREASE fps just by using that API.

Go for it, good luck.

mrjericho1991

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
sli your setup.gtx 285 x2 will max out any game you will think of.directx11 isnt much important,even many developers now got directx10.how many games will be coded in directx11?directx10 is present.just adding tesselation to it makes it directx11.

mrjericho1991

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
i have decided not to upgrade my 8800gt because if i buy directx11 expenisve gpu now.after 11 months people will say to upgrade to directx12.and then my directx11 gpu will be considered as old.this upgrading is really pathetic.8800gt still feeds my needs easily.if your gtx 285 easily feeds your needs.just sli it if you want some better performance.they are cheaper now.however its on you that if you want gtx 460sli,but i will never recommend it.

SLI is one of way to get more performance sometimes you can get it for cheap. if done correctly the result is great. but the thing that worries me more is some dev choose to skip dx10 and only offer their game in dx9 and dx11. so in the end he might have one beast of gpu setup but stuck in dx9 for games that skip dx10. :na:
btw dx11 is not just about tessellation isn't it?

if i'm not mistaken dx12 will comes with windows 8 (or whatever names they give it later). heard some rumors that win 8 will come out early 2013. if this is true then the first generation 28nm gpu will be still based on dx11...or dx11.1 (if ever made by MS) :D

The only problems that comes with sli and crossfire is just higher power consumption and that not every game makes use of it while ancient games may not work at all. Beyond that it is cpu overhead and system i/o that holds it all back.

My first run with sli was with two 7600gs (lol) then with two 7900gs ko (with a extra spare on hand) then two 9800gt. On the side I even got a 3dfx voodoo 5 5500 agp.

As long as you have the PSU for it I say just get another GTX285 to run in SLI. Sure two GTX 460 1GB cards would be faster, but it's also going to cost you more. Also, the difference in DX10 vs DX11 is currently pretty small. I haven't seen any games really make use of the shader improvements and the benefit of tessellation is often hard to see without pausing a game. I do hope that will change soon, but for now that's the way it is.

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator

^+1...

Also, at this point you'll would want to get the GTX 560 Ti over the GTX 460, if you planned on upgrading cards.
■http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti/
■http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti_SLI/

Status
Not open for further replies.