HD5870 10.12 drivers 99% GPU load issue.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I am having some problems with my 5870 running the 10.12 catalyst drivers. I see quite a large number of issues with these drivers, many the same as mine, but I haven't found a topic that actually had some fixes for it.

I'm running:

Intel C2Q 9550 @3.4ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
HIS HD 5870 1GB DDR5
25" Hanns-G 1920x1080 Monitor
Secondary monitor: Acer 20" 1600x900

Issues:

I've had some random Bluescreens, but only about 3 times since the drivers were released. The major problems are that the GPU load while idle is just sitting at 99%. The temp doesn't seem to be raised at all, but it takes about 10-20seconds for a fullscreen program to minimize, or when you open a program that requires windows confirmation that you want a program to execute, it will take about 10-20 seconds before AND after the prompt pops up. Restarting my computer seems to fix it for a while (sometimes a couple hours, sometimes a couple days).

I have tried doing a fresh driver install, while making sure it ONLY installed CCC/drivers. Yet this problem persists. I guess my final option is to revert to an older driver version and wait for a fix.

Anybody else with this problem? And possibly a solution?

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hi,

When it comes to issues of this nature, the only fix (that I can think of) would be to rollback the drivers. Sometimes, newer drivers may be unstable, and it's human error; older drivers are almost as good as newer ones, because they were for one, created, and secondly, reviewed, updated and re-released to the community. I'd say go back to old drivers until another set comes out.

Yep, it is the beta. The only time I've run into the 100% issue was when the HD audio on the card was conflicting with the MB Chipset. You could try disabling the GPU HD Audio in Device manager if none of the better suggestions above help.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Yeah, I did that and there isn't an Avivo selection, so I must not even have it. I remember having an "Avivo" selection in the dropdown menu in CCC back when I had 2 crossfired 4870's, but it isn't there anymore.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Installing new drivers now, but before I did that I rolled back the drivers and the problem went away, so if anybody else has this issue with 10.12, roll it back OR get the new 11.1 drivers which were released yesterday(well, yesterday meaning 1 hour ago).

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Haven't had the problem so far, and I have noticed a small performance increase.

But I am having another problem. When I have CCC open on my one monitor, and I maximize a game on the other monitor, my G13 gamepads keybindings all default to the normal configuration for some reason. I don't see anything change on the LCD screen. Whats up with this?

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Bad news, just got home. Opened up WoW on one screen and had youtube on the other. Played for a while then tried to minimize. Same thing happening with the 11.1 drivers. Still stuck at 99% load.

WHAT THE HELL =(

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Installed the 11.1a hotfix leak, no problems yet in terms of the 99% load issue at least. But so far I am seeing a HUGE screen tearing issue when using my main monitor when it isn't running a fullscreen program. Might have to just revert to 10.11

fraq

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Same, not to say identical, issue here, my 5870 runs as ever but sometimes, goes to 99% activity (not really i think cause its temp reaches 58° not 70-80°) and then nothing, stuck there, no matter what i try to do to get it lower....and this happens randomly! Yesterday i wasn't having the issue from the morning of the day before, then in the evening it happened three times!!! This from 10.12 and 11.1....AMD must solve this issue!!

fraq

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Anyway i've just sent an email to the AMD tech support, hope they come out with something. Oh and the drivers of the 11.1 release are the 10.12 (as the ccc show)...