3D Workstation w/ GTX 480

Thryn7686

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hi everybody! I'm trying to build a new system, but with some interesting caveats.

I teach at a high school, and the robotics team I sponsor was recently donated a stock GTX 480. Pretty sweet! My other sponsor and my students decided that we should try and build a workstation for our computer lab that could handle serious 3D stuff from AutoCAD and the like. So, I know I'll need a beefy power supply and a relatively strong processor, but I'm having some issues choosing parts...

My chief concern is whether I'll hit any bottlenecks. Of course, we'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, but what's the lowest I could go on the CPU and keep the 480 at peak usage? We could go Intel or AMD at this point. My co-sponsor would probably use a Pentium 4 is he got it for free, but I'd like to do better than that. :)

I've built plenty of gaming machines before, but the needs of a powerful workstation like this are different enough that I need some advice. Anything you all could add would be awesome. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS