6950 2G bottleneck question

RDKL

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I have a Asus KNF 5-SLI MB Dual Socket 1207 pin with a quad core Opteron cpu @ 2.1Mhz in each socket for a total of 8 cores. I've just purchased a ATI 6950 2G card and have read that underpowered cpu's will cause the Video card to bottleneck. The threads that claimed this issue I believe were single quad socket . In any event do you think I will suffer performance with these spec's?? I'm working around to trading these 2 cpu's out and replace with 2 of AMD's 6 core cpu's for a total of 12 cores . I have to let the new wear off of them for a bit to save some $$ so I'm stuck with this current configuration. Will I suffer performance that is quite noticeable or not?? Thanks for any insight to this discussion

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
probably depends on our usage...
but additional cores will not improve gaming performance so much...
most games out there were not made to take advantage of a lot of cores..
instead they were made to take advantage of cpu clock...
so the higher your cpu clock the better gaming experience you should have..

RDKL

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Not specifically gaming. I also do big number crunching at MilkyWay@Home and graphics stuff. I do however do beta testing for developers on private servers and they like unusual configured machines such as mine. Surprisingly ..it does very well considering its a server board by design. I do like to challenge the odds and incorporate different technology into the scene. I'm a AMD fan for the most part. But always open for thoughts and discussion from folks that share in the hobby.

TRENDING THREADS