Sign in with
Your question

6950 2G bottleneck question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2011 6:11:11 AM

I have a Asus KNF 5-SLI MB Dual Socket 1207 pin with a quad core Opteron cpu @ 2.1Mhz in each socket for a total of 8 cores. I've just purchased a ATI 6950 2G card and have read that underpowered cpu's will cause the Video card to bottleneck. The threads that claimed this issue I believe were single quad socket . In any event do you think I will suffer performance with these spec's?? I'm working around to trading these 2 cpu's out and replace with 2 of AMD's 6 core cpu's for a total of 12 cores . I have to let the new wear off of them for a bit to save some $$ so I'm stuck with this current configuration. Will I suffer performance that is quite noticeable or not?? Thanks for any insight to this discussion
January 25, 2011 6:28:03 AM

probably depends on our usage...
but additional cores will not improve gaming performance so much...
most games out there were not made to take advantage of a lot of cores..
instead they were made to take advantage of cpu clock...
so the higher your cpu clock the better gaming experience you should have..
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2011 9:40:06 AM

What are you going to do? Gaming?
Most of games aren't get benefit from 6 cores CPU or more...

If you want to gaming then you will better with higher clock CPU than more cores...
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2011 12:24:09 PM

Higher clock speeds for gaming, go with a 955BE or 965BE and run them @ 3.7 or so!
m
l
January 25, 2011 5:57:49 PM

wa1 said:
What are you going to do? Gaming?
Most of games aren't get benefit from 6 cores CPU or more...

If you want to gaming then you will better with higher clock CPU than more cores...

Not specifically gaming. I also do big number crunching at MilkyWay@Home and graphics stuff. I do however do beta testing for developers on private servers and they like unusual configured machines such as mine. Surprisingly ..it does very well considering its a server board by design. I do like to challenge the odds and incorporate different technology into the scene. I'm a AMD fan for the most part. But always open for thoughts and discussion from folks that share in the hobby.
m
l
!