Upgrading a prebuild

liono

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I am considering a pc off cyber power - mainly because it turned out to be about the same price as building it myself and I just don't have time at the moment. I was wondering about upgrading a cyberpower build in the future. I realize they cut some corners on various parts (RAM, HDD, PSU, etc), but those are all things I could easily replace over time (though I'm considering changing the PSU right away as I've heard some horror stories...). Is this possible/feasible? I'm on a tight budget right now, both in time and money, so ordering something pre-assembled would be ideal...

heyhihowyadurrin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
If money is tighter than time, build your own, it WILL be cheaper, and you will be able to decide if it will be upgradeable or not.

If time is tighter than money, then go ahead and get one from CyberPower, get the cheapest possible PSU and replace it with high quality PSU IMMEDIATELY! Or you can just go with a reliable PSU one that they offer (Corsair 650TX for example). As for upgrading you shouldn't have any problem. You are probably going to get a weak graphics card but you can always buy a more powerful one down the road.

What are the specs of the one you are looking at? Also what is your budget and what games are you looking to play? Monitor resolution? We can help you out if you give us more information.

liono

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I've put together an i5 2400 config - mostly for video/photo editing and running some financial software with modeling, but some gaming. Time is tighter than money right now as I am taking the CFA exam in June, but after that I will be able to do more. My 8 year old Dell is finally about to die so I need something quickly or I would just build it myself this summer. I haven't purchased a moniter, but I'll likely get something ~24in, 1920x1080. The nVidia cards seemed fairly overpriced on cyberpower, so that's the other thing I'm shopping around for. I think Fry's had a few on sale so I may stop in there (it's fortunately right by my office). Thanks for the help!