Intermittent start-up failure

jakeb1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hello,

The problem:

I rebuilt my system in July. This is the 4th system that I have built for myself and a few more for others, so I am not a professional but not a newbie either. About 4 or 5 mos. after it was up and running this started happening. When I push the start button to start the computer the red LED light would just start blinking. After numerous attempts to either get it to start or just shut down, it would start up. This would happen 2 or 3 times a week. I initially thought it might just be a bad start switch, but upon checking and talking to others -- don't think so. Then one day I got a BIOS checksum error and a reboot. I contacted Gigabyte and they told me to do a couple of things and if I still got the message that the BIOS chip was no good. Never got the message again (yet!) But, I did get an error saying that the system had to reboot due to an overclocking (which I don't do) issue or power outage (nope). I have contacted Gigabyte and they really aren't a whole lot of help. Right now I am waiting for an RMA to send the board back to them for fixing.

The system:

New:

Intel i5-750 cpu
Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO
Radeon HD 5570

Old:

PSU 550w (2 to 3 yrs old)
Seagate HD 1 yr old
DVD-RW 2 yrs old

Any ideas what might be wrong so I don't have to tear the system apart and send the mb back to Gigabyte would be appreciated.

Thank you

It would appear you miss understood the board definition of power outage, a power outage can occur on the AC side which will cause it to shut down or on the DC side which will cause things on the board to not have enough power to work right and throw errors, random startup errors can be caused by an old PSU that cant take it anymore, whats the make and model of the PSU and do you have a friend who would let you try their PSU in your system?

jakeb1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
It was an ANTEC model SP-500. I just swapped it out with a Corsair Memory Cx series 500w PSU. Now I will see if that cures the problem.

Thanks for the quick response.