Sign in with
Your question

PSU Problem? Not Sure

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2011 2:08:54 PM

http://www.emag.ro/surse/sursa-atx-delux-450w--pDELUX45...

(Please excuse the foreign website)
I have a problem with this PSU. When I bought it to replace my old noisy PSU, I installed it and I turned the PC on, all the lights and fans started working but otherwise: nothing. NO monitor signal, no on led (THe Hard disk led flashes for a few secs and thats all).
I spent a couple days without being able to use my PC until my brother discovered a workaround.

To start the PC I have to press the on button, wait five seconds, interrupt the current by switching the PSU off from the back, wait another 5 seconds, and then turn on the PSU and only after that if I press the on button of my computer does it actually start up.

It's very weird but I have come to be used to it. Recently I have also bought myself a brand new dual core processor (to upgrade the old 1.8 Ghz) and with the dual core mounted the computer wont start NO MATTER what I do. The same thing. Lights, LEDs, fan and yet nothing really happens.

Would I need a better PSU? My computer configuration isnt all too fancy (512MB ATI VGA, one 180GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, one LG optical drive). I feel like Ive mindlessly thrown money away just to throw some more afterwards.

More about : psu problem

a c 700 ) Power supply
June 30, 2011 2:17:44 PM

It does not look like a quality PSU and is most likely faulty since you had no problems with the older noisy PSU!
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2011 2:27:10 PM

WHat I fear is that I would buy a new PSU 600W, active PFC all sorts of molex, sata cables and so on. And that the processor still wont work since (and Im not too knowledgeable in this domain) I have an AM2 mobo. The new processor is a AMD II X2 250 (AM3) but since it said it fits in in AM2+ and AM2 aswell I bought it.
I read a lot of cases and stuff on the internet and I really do fear that this might actually be the problem.
Im hoping someone else has also experienced my problem and that they could tell if its either the PSU or the CPU I should be worried about.
Related resources
a c 700 ) Power supply
June 30, 2011 2:31:58 PM

Not all AM2 boards support AM3 CPU´s but the ones that do usually need a BIOS update before the upgrade!
What motherboard do you have?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2011 2:35:48 PM

I have an ECS RS485m-m
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2011 2:55:51 PM

Damn. But as far as I know the ECS page for my mobo is really outdated. I mean, the processor fits perfectly in the slot
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2011 3:03:22 PM

Oh well, I guess what Ive got left to do is ask a friend to lend me his 500W PSU and his AMD 64 X2 (from the old series) and try them one by one. Thanks a lot for the help.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
July 2, 2011 12:30:23 PM

Okay, I did test I found that the processor is indeed the problem. THe PSU may be a bit faulty but it had no problem in powering up my friend's 2.8 GHz dual core old series AMD. SO after a while of searching I think I would buy a new mother board. This one awoke my interest: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=N68-S%20UCC

Especially for the unlock CPU core feature. If theres the slightest chance my Athlon II x2 could become an X4 it would be great.
a c 700 ) Power supply
July 2, 2011 1:18:49 PM

The athlonII X2 is a native dual core and will not and has no additional cores to unlock.
!