Sign in with
Your question

EVGA SLi X4 with Revorive questions intel six core water cooled

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2011 9:09:45 PM

I am building a system for a friend I call him M.I.B. because he is always looking for the best of the best of the best. I talked him out of some of his weird ideas like one pump and four radiators (rolls eyes) and I told him I will not over clock it, he can do that himself once the OS is installed and everything is working it leaves my shop then it’s his issue if he smokes his CPU and not on my dime.
I told him I will leak test it for one week.

(I asked in the EVGA fourms also)
MY QUESTIONS
Any Issues with my suggestions?
I have read on other forums that the x4 Board had/has issues with the Revo Drive and the X6 CPU’s
I think 3 580GTX should be as fast if not faster then 2 590GTX do to the 590’s being underclocked
Power Supply (might need two of them) Suggestions?

Was considering the 4 Way SLI board
CPU is narrowed down to two options
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core
Currently no games Take advantage of a 6 core CPU’s but as I said he wants the best of the best of the best and money isn’t an object.
Video card we also have two options
He wants Dual 590GTX I am suggesting triple 580GTX Hydro Copper.
Storage
Boot
OCZ RevoDrive X2 OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0160 PCI-E 160GB PCI-Express x4
Storage
4 Samsung Spinpoint F 1Tb drives or Western Digital Black series
Memory
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) (fan cooled)

Case
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Duality 10PCI on a Pedestal base

Cooling
4 Black Ice GTX 360 Radiators
1 for CPU
1 for 580GTX (1)
1 for 580 GTX (2)
1 for 580 GTX (3)
4 DD12V-D5 Pump Variable Speed by pumps

CPU cooling
Danger Den MC-TDX for Intel I7/Nehalem/1366

All four radiators, and pumps will fit in the base still shopping for fans but I am suggesting push pull so each radiator will have 6 120MM fans
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2011 10:05:39 PM

4 x BI GTX 360's ?
4 pumps ?
24 fans operating at 1800 RPM's or higher ( to get the best performance from the GTX )
Thats alot of noise.

2 x 360's would do the job, lower FPI rads like the XSPC RX360 would allow for slower ( aka quieter) fans, and you wouldn't need 4 pumps.

You should take this post to the Coolers & Heatsinks section.
m
l
March 29, 2011 10:17:11 PM

delluser1 said:
4 x BI GTX 360's ?
4 pumps ?
24 fans operating at 1800 RPM's or higher ( to get the best performance from the GTX )
Thats alot of noise.

2 x 360's would do the job, lower FPI rads like the XSPC RX360 would allow for slower ( aka quieter) fans, and you wouldn't need 4 pumps.

You should take this post to the Coolers & Heatsinks section.

My last Water cooled system I used that same pump a mouse fart is louder, as for fans I used 6 120MM in push pull on a thermalchill HE3.120 and was able to turn them down to the point where the mouse click was louder and still keep a pair of GTX 8800 under 40C
he isn't so much worred about the noise and like I said I am not over clocking it for him he can do that him self with a 1000 CPU he can do it on his dime.

I favor muilt Radi systems because you are not feeding already hot water to the next item i.e. if you had one radi your loop would be feeding the hot water from the CPU to the video card then that hot water would go to the next video card then to the raidi to be cooled then to the CPU again

the Case he wants isn't cut for a 360 it can hold 4 120MM's or 3 120MM fans depending on the side panels he orders.
I tried to get him into that Watercool MO-RA3 9 x 140mm PRO Extreme Radiator -(FrozenCPU.com) that could cool his whole system but he doesn't want to have an external radi.

I used to Own a PC repair shop back when it made since to repair a PC now to make some extra beer money I build maybe 5 PC's a Month I don't build low end JUNK I don't shop around to get a deal (unless its for family or a friend with hardly any money to spend) I will build you a HIgh end Butt Kicking machine if you have the money and I stand behind everything I do for one year (if you fiddle with it and break it its your dime) I am charging him 200 bucks for this build it will take me a week working after my normal job and I will do a full burn in)
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 1:17:35 AM

If he wants the best gaming system using dual 590s, he needs a Sandy Bridge processor.

Period

Best is cheaper than the also-rans such as the system you suggested.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 1:37:46 AM

What is his timeframe?
It seems to me that there will be a major change in leading flagship CPU one way or another before christmas.
So I would encourage him to wait for Bulldozer from AMD and the LGA2011 chips from Intel, just to see what they offer.

On a totally different topic, does anyone have cooling blocks out for the 590 yet?

m
l
March 30, 2011 2:57:27 AM

CopaMundial said:
What is his timeframe?
It seems to me that there will be a major change in leading flagship CPU one way or another before christmas.
So I would encourage him to wait for Bulldozer from AMD and the LGA2011 chips from Intel, just to see what they offer.

On a totally different topic, does anyone have cooling blocks out for the 590 yet?
Right, Sandy Bridge is the top processor for games right now, and if you want a Sandy Bridge derived CPU with the added flexibility of a workstation platform you'll have to wait for LGA 2011.
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:12:43 PM

Time frame is end of the month
Not sure he would want to wait for next SB chip and the current SB chips don't have the pcie paths for triple SLI
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:35:20 PM

You wouldnt need triple SLI if you got a GTX590 or a 580 X2, they are amazing cards.
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:14:42 PM

Not too many games can max out dual 580's he just wants it, dual 590 GTX or triple GTX 580 (I think the triple 580gtx would be faster) then add in the X4 card and you suck up more PCIe Slots that current SB supports X58 can do it don't think he will wait for the new 2011 SB cpu's
m
l
!