Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 boot_device_led

Barinthus

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hello, everybody - I was building a computer for the first time so it's likely i made some noob mistake somewhere. When I got everything together and turned on the power for the first time - cpu fans, optical drive, and videocard appears to be working. But there's nothing on the monitor. Right now my boot_device_led light is on - I'm thinking it's either Intel i7 2600K chip - improper installation? Btw Corsair H80 isn't running either if that helps.

Thanks in advance for help

Barinthus

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for getting back to me - yeah I figured I probably should have posted specs.

Am leaving in few minutes for my birthday dinner so I'll post later when I get back.

Barinthus

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Ok here's what I have:

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF-X
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Videocard: Radeon HD 6970
Power Supply: Silverstone ST1000-P (1000W)
Cooler: Corsair H-80
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Optical Drive: HP 24X Multiformat DVD Burner
Hard Drive 1: OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 120 GB
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARX 1TB

Barinthus

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Gene O - will try that when I get back home. I was also thinking maybe I should take out all RAM, leaving in one stick.

cmichael138 - thanks, can't wait to get it up and running. As for power cables...
product_overview.jpg

Yes, on the diagram, between DIGI + VRM/EPU and BT GO!, I had 8 pin cable hooked in there (it was split into two 4-pin connectors). As for the other one, Front USB 3.0, the cable with larger numbers of pins (can't remember how much) went in there.

I'll doublecheck anyway to make sure they are securely fixed into their slots.

Anyway what exactly does boot_device_led suggests what is wrong?

Barinthus

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
ok I looked into connecting the monitor to the videocard and unfortunately the cable is not comptiable with the integrated video. I'll look into if there's an adaptor or a new cable which will fit both the monitor and the integrated video.

I also tried removing RAMs, leaving one behind. I tried that in both first and second slots - no luck.

I read somewhere some components have switches you have to toggle in order to get them to work so I checked for that, I couldn't find such switch on the water cooler. It did have a button for 3 different fan speeds - I tried pressing that, no luck.

I'm wondering perhaps I didn't seat the cooler properly on the CPU - I used the pre-installed thermal glue. I read online how some people removed that glue and applied fresh coat of glue. Also I read about how some CPUs are designed to not activate if the cooler unit isn't attached to the CPU properly to prevent the CPU being fried. I don't know if that's the case with my CPU, will have research that. I'm also mulling the idea of removing the H-80 and using the stock cooler to see if that makes any difference.

Oh yeah, by the way I doublechecked power supply cables and those seem to be firmly set in their connectors.

Barinthus

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I got the water cooler to work by connecting it directly to the power supply.

According to the Intel customer service, if I can get the cooler to work and I'm still not getting anything, I should get the cpu tested.

I still want to try via integrated video card but I'm not sure if I'd need to get a new monitor or is there an adaptor to help my monitor to connect to the integrated video card? (EDIT: found the adaptor - http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-male-to-vga-female-adaptor.html)

I came across that checklist to go thru (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems) and I've accounted for everything other than for

#11 (bent pins on the cpu die - I didn't check but it should be fine, I aligned it so the cpu's triangle matches the triangle on the die as well as slots and I wouldn't have any idea of what bent pins look like, it's so tiny in there)

#20 cpu and bios - i'm not sure how to find out that, will have to research

#21 resetting cmos - i'm not sure if that's necessary

Barinthus

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Finally! I got the vga-dvi adaptor and used it to hook up my monitor to the integrated graphics.

Got a splash on the monitor along with a message saying CPU_FAN ERROR (or something like that) and that there's no keyboard detected (probably because there was none attached, I forgot I had a USB keyboard downstairs)

I forgot to add that I also resolved the water cooler issue by hooking it to the power supply directly. I disconnected the 3 pin connector from the motherboard.

I resolved the cpu_fan error by leaving the water cooler connected to the power supply and returned the 3 pin connector back to the cpu_fan pins.

Now I have a black screen with the message which basically said to put in boot media into the designated drive or something like that.

I assume that means I'm ready to install the Windows.

I'm puzzled although about the fact the monitor wouldn't run when I hooked it up via mobo's external vga port. What if the video card somehow died on me and I needed a way to access the computer?

Anyway thank for the help and patience!

TRENDING THREADS