Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DELL 2005FPW and IBM T42

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 6:09:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

I just bought a Dell 2005FPW widescreen 20 inch monitor, connecting to
my IBM T42 laptop (ATI 9600 graphics card). It looks great. However,
when I connect via the DVI port, I am not able to adjust the
positioning via the monitor's control panel. When I set the resolution
to 1650 x 1050 the destop goes off the screen! I looked online and
even call the helpdesk and it seems that you can not adjust the
positioning using DVI (analog can and will auto adjust). Is there
anyway around this? I want to use the max resolution with DVI (analog
looks horrible compared to DVI) so I some how need to reposition the
screen and resize it.

Thanks!

More about : dell 2005fpw ibm t42

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 6:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AFollow-up: Actually, it is an ATI Radeon 7500 card...if that makes a
difference. Some one also mentioned that maybe the graphics card can
control the DVI?

Thanks.
gbou...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just bought a Dell 2005FPW widescreen 20 inch monitor, connecting
to
> my IBM T42 laptop (ATI 9600 graphics card). It looks great.
However,
> when I connect via the DVI port, I am not able to adjust the
> positioning via the monitor's control panel. When I set the
resolution
> to 1650 x 1050 the destop goes off the screen! I looked online and
> even call the helpdesk and it seems that you can not adjust the
> positioning using DVI (analog can and will auto adjust). Is there
> anyway around this? I want to use the max resolution with DVI
(analog
> looks horrible compared to DVI) so I some how need to reposition the
> screen and resize it.
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2005 10:21:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

gbourne@gmail.com wrote:
> AFollow-up: Actually, it is an ATI Radeon 7500 card...if that makes a
> difference. Some one also mentioned that maybe the graphics card can
> control the DVI?
>
> Thanks.
> gbou...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I just bought a Dell 2005FPW widescreen 20 inch monitor, connecting
>
> to
>
>>my IBM T42 laptop (ATI 9600 graphics card). It looks great.
>
> However,
>
>>when I connect via the DVI port, I am not able to adjust the
>>positioning via the monitor's control panel. When I set the
>
> resolution
>
>>to 1650 x 1050 the destop goes off the screen! I looked online and
>>even call the helpdesk and it seems that you can not adjust the
>>positioning using DVI (analog can and will auto adjust). Is there
>>anyway around this? I want to use the max resolution with DVI
>
> (analog
>
>>looks horrible compared to DVI) so I some how need to reposition the
>>screen and resize it.
>>
>>Thanks!
>
>
I believe this has been extensively at forum.thinkpads.com , you may
want to do a search there.

Stavros
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2005 3:54:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> gbourne@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> AFollow-up: Actually, it is an ATI Radeon 7500 card...if that makes a
>> difference. Some one also mentioned that maybe the graphics card can
>> control the DVI?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> gbou...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just bought a Dell 2005FPW widescreen 20 inch monitor, connecting
>>
>>
>> to
>>
>>> my IBM T42 laptop (ATI 9600 graphics card). It looks great.
>>
>>
>> However,
>>
>>> when I connect via the DVI port, I am not able to adjust the
>>> positioning via the monitor's control panel. When I set the
>>
>>
>> resolution
>>
>>> to 1650 x 1050 the destop goes off the screen! I looked online and
>>> even call the helpdesk and it seems that you can not adjust the
>>> positioning using DVI (analog can and will auto adjust). Is there
>>> anyway around this? I want to use the max resolution with DVI
>>
>>
>> (analog
>>
>>> looks horrible compared to DVI) so I some how need to reposition the
>>> screen and resize it.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>>
> I believe this has been extensively at forum.thinkpads.com , you may
> want to do a search there.
>
> Stavros

Here's what to do to overcome the crippleware drivers IBM installs on
its laptops (why-oh-why). I also use a Dell 2005 widescreen with a T42
(and that's 1680x1050, by the way) and also a Dell 2000 (1600x1200),
occasionally. No worries.

You need to install the ATI Catalyst drivers, but in order to do so, you
need to modify them slightly. Fortunately, the works been done for you
(and many thanks to the guy that did it). Check out
http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ and follow the instructions, which
are pretty straight forward. It works perfectly.

-p
!