Sign in with
Your question

Does Fry's commonly resell returned items as new?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2011 1:21:30 PM

I was looking around at Fry's for a video card, and I noticed a lot of boxes in bad condition with no plastic but marked with the original new price. Do they resell their returned cards often? Either way, should I worry about this?

I know, it's a naive question, and I'm sure many have heard it before, but I couldn't find any direct answer anywhere. Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 1:27:14 PM

Ususally they have an orange and white sticker with a slightly cheaper price. It wouldn't surprise me if they sold them as new. They are one of the most unethical companies I've ever had to deal with. I'm amazed they don't get in trouble with the BBB more often.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 1:28:21 PM

Do not under any circumstance buy an open boc item from frys, I have bought a few of them in the past and often they don't even come packaged as they should be. They don't test any of there hardware, just look at it toss it back in the box and mark it down 3 dollars definatley not worth it imo, not too mention that they rape you with sales tax in las vegas :)  I would never buy an open box from frys again, or much of anything from there in general 90% of the time there is a better deal online. I don't think they sell the returned cards as new but there is no doubt that they handle there merchandise like shitte, once I asked a salesperson to grab me a video card off the top shelf, he grabbed it twirled it around and it dropped on the floor he picked it up and began to write up a ticket for it and I said "you gotta be kidding me right" after that I left the store and never went back again. I would highly recommend not shopping there if you can, not to mention that their video card prices are usually really marked up..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 1:31:17 PM

not to mention that 99% of the salespeople don't know jack about computers, they should be working at best buy....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 1:34:25 PM

once I bought a brand new hdd from them and the box had clearly been opened which I noticed upon arriving at home to install it and the sata power connection was completely cracked off. It looked like someone broke it, returned it (with the store personnel inspecting it at all apparently) and put it back in the box, so it would not surprise me if they try to pass off returned merchandise as new sometimes, but either way take your business elsewhere as oftentimes the prices are a ripoff and you will find a much better deal on somewhere like newegg, they do have good fire-sales from now and then but in the end I don't like paying high sales taxes and supporting a crappy business like frys
m
l
January 25, 2011 3:25:33 PM

i definitely never buy stuff marked with their orange tag, but now i'll even think twice before buying their supposed new items if this is the case
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 6:03:15 PM

I'm telling you, they are a crap retailer and personally I refuse to shop there
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 6:03:46 PM

imo the only good computer store anymore is microcenter, but they don't have them out west. Best buy is the absolute worse
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 6:28:23 PM

think it depends on the fry's , i like the fry's in arlington height's IL and try to go whenever visiting the wife's family as there are no computer stores in tallahassee other than overpriced brick and mortar private stores and best buy
m
l
January 25, 2011 11:58:26 PM

jjb8675309 said:
imo the only good computer store anymore is microcenter, but they don't have them out west. Best buy is the absolute worse

Agreed - BB is way overpriced and Frys is hit and miss. I buy from Micro Center locally or online.
Dave
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 12:26:48 AM

I like Frys, been buying from them for years. Also used to go to Microcenter when I lived in SoCal, but Microcenters are not everywhere. You just need to do your homework, know what you want, and be smart about what you buy. I purposely do not buy parts online because in my years of experience, you get just as many bad items out sparkling fresh packages in the mail as you do off the shelf in Frys. Then you have to deal with the whole RMA send it back and wait for a return and sit on the phone for hours thing. Sorry guys, if I am buying it, I want it in my hand, and if it doesn't work when I get it home, it is going straight back to the store and I am getting another one, now. You can do that at Frys.
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:44:54 AM

Fry's will price match sellers such as Newegg and Microcenter, but will add shipping to the sales price. And then there's sales tax. I used Newegg's online price to get $60 off Fry's price on a Canon printer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 2:38:04 AM

yeah really its the sales tax in places like las vegas that murder me frys is decent but tax makes a huge difference
m
l
February 14, 2011 9:13:23 PM

Resell Rights Videos
I would never buy an open box from frys again, or much of anything from there in general 90% of the time there is a better deal online. I don't think they sell the returned cards as new but there is no doubt that they handle there merchandise like shitte, once I asked a salesperson to grab me a video card off the top shelf, he grabbed it twirled it around and it dropped on the floor he picked it up and began to write up a ticket for it and I said "you gotta be kidding me right" after that I left the store and never went back again.
m
l
!