ATi 6950 - Low Perfomance

chipliz

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello guys, I joined the forum because yesterday I purchased an ATi 6950 2GB and, from what I've seen, my perfomance in games is really low when compared to other PC's.

For example, at 1280 x 1024 (I have a small monitor :() and 4x AA, Far Cry 2 at Ultra High Settings gets an average of 40 FPS. I know it's completely playable at that speed, but I just thought it would be much higher.

Another example is Crysis, 1280 x 1024, no AA, Very High settings, 30-40 average FPS.

Is it possible there's a problem with my PC (I did a clean Windows install and downloaded Catalyst 10.12 drivers as soon as I installed the card.

Specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz

RAM - DDR2 Single-Channel 3 GB @ 333 MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard - ASUS P5QC

HDD - 313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAJS-00B4A0 ATA Device (SATA)

Graphics Card - Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5 (latest drivers installed)

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

I'm guessing the problem could be the RAM or motherboard, but can they really cause a game like Far Cry 2 (which apparently should run at more than 60 FPS maxed out with 4x AA at 1920 x 1080) or Crysis to have such low perfomance?

Thanks in advance guys ;)

Chipliz

P.S: Sorry for my Engish, I'm 15 and from Argentina, so... yeah

Check for any game patches, also don't worry about the performace untill a few more driver revisions for a new card.

From the benchmarks for Far Cry 2, high end systems with dual cards get about 60 FPS on Very High settings. Ultra High Settings, 40 sounds about right.

You're Welcome.

BTW, your English is just fine, in fact it's better than many people born in this country can manage.

chipliz

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hmmm... interesting. It seems that perfomance does not change while playing Crysis and using 8x AA. Does this mean there might be something bottlenecking my PC?

Could be, but not sure where that could be unless it was your CPU/motherboard/chipset/RAM combination. Not sure how intersted you would be in spending a few hunderd on a faster CPU to test it though, or possibly a new motherboard with DDR3 RAM and a new CPU.

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
The thing is that the 6950 is overkill for that resolution so the CPU is doing much of the work. Alot of cards will have the same FPS. When you upgrade to a full 1080p monitor you will see the true performance. Hope this helps.