Sign in with
Your question

Solid state booting problem

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2011 10:47:07 PM

my computer ; Intel i7 960 3.20GHz , gigabite motherboard,X58A-UD3R , 2-EVGA GeForce GTX560Ti superclocked , I have a 32GB solid state drive I wanted that because I thought it would speed up the start up so I put my operating system on that , I have a 1TB and a 500GB hard drives too . A dvd drive and a bluray drive . The tower is a cooler master HAF full tower with a 1050 power supply .I also made it wireless . I think thats everything and now I will get to the problem .
It started up good everything works but I thought that when I put the solid state drive in , it would go to the next drive when that one is full , but it dont . I have to put it all in manual .I thought it would go to the solid state first then the 1TB then the 500GB and its not . I dont no what i did , so is there a way to start over and make it right ? I also cant get my 1TB hard drive to reformat because it said that it is not formatted . On my first build it all went great but this one is giving me a fit . Thanks .
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2011 11:04:36 PM

You need to set the directories for your applications. Drives don't "overflow" from C: to D:, or the like. You need to set your libraries in Explorer to reference the drives you want to (i.e. the 1TB).
m
l
March 30, 2011 1:00:40 AM

so do i keep the os on the solid state ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 2:23:37 AM

Yeah, you install the OS to the SSD, and then have everything install to the hard drive (usually have to choose custom installation).

I have a folder on my A drive (only HDD) for each major category (Documents, Downloads, Games, Programs, etc.), just to keep things organized.
m
l
!