Changing RAM timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hi All,
OK, I'm a complete newb when it comes to overclocking, Well maybe not a newb as much as a chicken. I've only just grown a pair big enough to overclock my CPU to 5GHz which has been running fine for a week or so now. Today they've dropped enough for me to change my RAM timings. My ram was 11-11-11-30-2T and it was automatically set at 1.5v in the BIOS (Asus P8P67-Delux EFI BIOS, G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 2133MHz). I changed the timings to 10-10-10-24-2T and left the voltage as it was. It seems to be running ok and the Debuger gives me AA so it seems fine. I guess I just want someone with more experience to tell me: "Yep that's fine, here's how you can go further" or "No that's wrong I suggest you clear your CMOS and start over, here's how to do it right" or "Yep that's fine but I wouldnt go any further."

Solution
There is nothing wrong with memory overclocking, it is no more dangerous than overclocking your CPU. If the memory has no problems at faster settings as shown by memtest and a burn-in benchmark, then there is no problem. Besides, memory has warranties that cover overclocking damage so no problem there either.

You can even increase memory voltage to the maximum safe voltages and see if it will run at higher performance settings stably if you want. I've done it several times, there are no problems unless there would have been problems running at normal parameters.

RAM overclocking doesn't improve performance of most applications significantly, but it helps a little, especially in archiving and similar data intensive work.
There is nothing wrong with memory overclocking, it is no more dangerous than overclocking your CPU. If the memory has no problems at faster settings as shown by memtest and a burn-in benchmark, then there is no problem. Besides, memory has warranties that cover overclocking damage so no problem there either.

You can even increase memory voltage to the maximum safe voltages and see if it will run at higher performance settings stably if you want. I've done it several times, there are no problems unless there would have been problems running at normal parameters.

RAM overclocking doesn't improve performance of most applications significantly, but it helps a little, especially in archiving and similar data intensive work.

Solution

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

So would you say that, based on what i've described, that I've not done anything incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.