Sign in with
Your question

New build, should I get a new card or will crossifred 4850s run well?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2011 7:04:42 PM

So I've posted in the new build section and have my components worked out, but I'm getting jittery now that I'm about to press the order button. Here's what I've got:

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 B.E.

- 8 gigs of DDR3

- 750 watt psu

- Asrock Evo MB

Now, my plan was to save some money by using the 2 HD 4850s I have currently. One is in my machine now, the other came out of another rig that isnt used anymore. If I dont care about DX11, will this be alright for gaming at 1600x900? I can do it for free, but if I need to drop the cash on a new card for gaming, then I am willing to do so. I suspect that the 4850s are going to be just fine but I want to be double sure by asking you guys.

Thoughts? Thanks!
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 8:54:56 PM

It all depends on what types of graphics your looking for...really good or playable FPS.After you tell me what your looking for i can better help you.For a reference point x2 4850's in crossfire is the equivelnt of a single 5850.4850's are still good cards but it all depends on what level of gaming you are going for.
What types of games are you looking to play?
How much is your budget if you do want to get a new card?
a c 179 U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 9:24:10 PM

I have a single 4850, it handles most things i have come across on high at 1920x1080 pretty well, two of them should be able to deal with 1600x900 on very high with AA added on without an issue.
Related resources
January 25, 2011 10:53:16 PM

purple stank said:
It all depends on what types of graphics your looking for...really good or playable FPS.After you tell me what your looking for i can better help you.For a reference point x2 4850's in crossfire is the equivelnt of a single 5850.4850's are still good cards but it all depends on what level of gaming you are going for.
What types of games are you looking to play?
How much is your budget if you do want to get a new card?

Honestly, I want to be able to max anything I throw at it at 1600x900. I know I'll be limited by DX10, but aside from that I want to be able to just turn up the eye candy and not have to think about it. Most of the games I really enjoy right now are a bit older:

-FSX
-GTA IV
-Supreme Commander

(All these rely heavily on the CPU I know)

But I also enjoy RPGs sometimes. Im not an FPS guy, but may want one in the future. I did enjoy Crysis, so basically I enjoy all types of games and really want to build a good all around machine that will handle whatever I throw at it, whatever I decide to play. If I'm looking at buying a new card, then I would like to keep it under 200 but I could spend more if needed, it would just have to wait for a while and in the meantime I still have 2 4850s I can slap in there.
January 25, 2011 11:04:07 PM

hunter315 said:
I have a single 4850, it handles most things i have come across on high at 1920x1080 pretty well, two of them should be able to deal with 1600x900 on very high with AA added on without an issue.

Using the single one I have right now in my machine, I dont have an issue with anything I've ever played, so this was my thinking as well, that 2 should be pretty darn powerful. My CPU chokes me right now (Athlon X2 6000+) so I dont feel like Ive ever gotten the full potential of even my single 4850.
a c 179 U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 1:54:27 AM

For GTA IV you really need a decent quad if you want it to run well, but Supreme commander should be happy on a fast dual core, but they are both fairly CPU limited, you shouldnt have a problem at that resolution with those games when it comes to graphics settings.
!