Sign in with
Your question

Worth upgrading to SB from Phenom II x4 955 on new build right away?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2011 4:04:06 AM

I'm trying to sell my motherboard and CPU for ~$250, and since the combination of a 2500k itself ($225 via Newegg) and a mobo (~$135 via Newegg) costs around $350, I'm going to be sinking another $100 into my build, which was initially constructed in December. My question is, is it worth it?

Here are my current relevant specs:

GPU: CFX 6870s
PSU: 650W Seasonic GOLD*
CPU: 955
Mobo: GA-890GPA
RAM: 4x2GB 1333MHz

*This is what is the most important thing to me.

According to the PSU calculator, my PSU is already starting to feel the pressure... and a 2500k rig would save me around 50W, taking me much farther from the danger zone.

So, with what I have in mind, should I go with it? Or should I just wait on it? I don't want to wait until the AMD stuff is worthless, though...

More about : worth upgrading phenom 955 build

a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 4:19:45 AM

Well, to me if you just built the thing its a bit early for an upgrade. Moving to a new platform is a bit drastic. However, SB they say is all that. I understand that overclocking above 4.0 Ghz is easily possible with the 2500K.

Just looking at the Seasonic I thought that 650 was a little light for crossfire 6870's. If overclocking is part of the equation, then even saving a bit on the 2500K would be made up by pushing the CPU. In which case, why get the unlocked multi if not overclocking?

My recommendation is this, if you do choose to go sandy bridge with this build, expect to pay another $100-150 for a quality 750W PSU. Is it worth it? I know plenty of gamers on this website who would say hell yes. To me, a quad core at 3.2 Ghz is fast enough to run any software so its a waste.
But for bragging rights and benchmark busting, you gotta pay.
m
l
March 30, 2011 4:33:23 AM

buzznut said:
Well, to me if you just built the thing its a bit early for an upgrade. Moving to a new platform is a bit drastic. However, SB they say is all that. I understand that overclocking above 4.0 Ghz is easily possible with the 2500K.

I also built it with the intention of the Phenom II architecture offering me good quality performance at a low price-point. This was, remember, immediately before Sandy Bridge landed and crushed AMD's "king of good performance-per-dollar" claim.

Quote:
Just looking at the Seasonic I thought that 650 was a little light for crossfire 6870's. If overclocking is part of the equation, then even saving a bit on the 2500K would be made up by pushing the CPU. In which case, why get the unlocked multi if not overclocking?

According to the PSU calculator, I could OC the 2500k and STILL get lower power consumption than the 955. And a pair of 6870s is not very draining at all, they are a very power-efficient card.

Quote:
My recommendation is this, if you do choose to go sandy bridge with this build, expect to pay another $100-150 for a quality 750W PSU. Is it worth it? I know plenty of gamers on this website who would say hell yes. To me, a quad core at 3.2 Ghz is fast enough to run any software so its a waste.
But for bragging rights and benchmark busting, you gotta pay.

2500k can OC significantly at stock voltages, and since it has a lower TDP than the 955, I think power will be even less of an issue than it was before.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 4:53:51 AM

If you can get $250 for a 955 and mobo, do it. I doubt you'll get that though, in which case it may be more worth waiting until the end of the year to get Ivy Bridge.
m
l
!