Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build, novice, gaming/school computer.

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 30, 2011 4:12:15 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week, hopefully.

Budget Range: 1000-1200 most.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Schooling (i'm starting Game Programming) both equally important.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, os.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com or LUcomputers.com

Country of Origin: Canada, Ontario.

Parts Preferences: AMD or Intel is fine.

Overclocking: Maybe, probably not though.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: The monitor i'm using is L19W16 Acer monitor.

Additional Comments: I've made a computer on this site, one with AMD 6 core, and one with an i5 2500. Someone had told me i should go with an i5 so i came up with this computer(built it online):

i5 2500 Intel Potential Computer - Click Here!

I was told to downgrade the 1TB HD and go for another monitor. Are there any other savings you guys think i can do? And is the video card going to be up to par with video games right now? That site should show my build.

Thanks in advance for your help!
March 30, 2011 4:22:22 AM

Build own, save hundreds.

You could probably find even more savings via combo deals, but I couldn't be bothered.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this one is also better because:

1.) 1TB HDD
2.) Better RAM
3.) P67 mobo and 2500K CPU (allows overclocking for an extra kick later down the line).

EDIT: Whoop, forgot the PSU, let me toss one in there...
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:27:19 AM

Replace the RAM and Mobo in the wishlist with this,, same two items for $15 cheaper (can't save combos in wishlist).

Since I forgot the PSU, you're only actually saving around 50 bucks, but it's also significantly better.

Could save ~$30 on the PSU by dropping its wattage (I put in a 750W in case of Crossfire down the road), and a few more tens by getting a single-PCIe-Slot mobo (also, in case it happens down the road).
m
0
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 4:30:02 AM

Nice build- a couple of comments. The choice of graphics card is great, but its overkill for a 19 inch monitor. Most of us are gaming at a minimum of 22in 1680X1050, but 1080p is more versatile for movies and such. I think you should price some 24 inch monitors.
You may be aware there is a BIOS update that can turn the 6950 into a 6970 for free. Very good choice. That may be the 1 GB version..I am uncertain about that.

I'm not sure I would downgrade the HD, but right now you can get a 1TB f3 samsung HD for $55 on the newegg US site anyway. Its faster than the seagate. In have bought 4 samsung F3's in the last year, they rock.

Go for the i5 if buying now. Current AMD platforms and hardware will be obsolete in June.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:34:28 AM

buzznut said:
Nice build- a couple of comments. The choice of graphics card is great, but its overkill for a 19 inch monitor. Most of us are gaming at a minimum of 22in 1680X1050, but 1080p is more versatile for movies and such. I think you should price some 24 inch monitors.
You may be aware there is a BIOS update that can turn the 6950 into a 6970 for free. Very good choice. That may be the 1 GB version..I am uncertain about that.

I'm not sure I would downgrade the HD, but right now you can get a 1TB f3 samsung HD for $55 on the newegg US site anyway. Its faster than the seagate. In have bought 4 samsung F3's in the last year, they rock.

Go for the i5 if buying now. Current AMD platforms and hardware will be obsolete in June.


He would need the 2GB version of the 6970 to flash it. That would drive price up about $50 (according to Newegg CA).
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:35:18 AM

On newegg, i'm paying more. >> Maybe i should look around for combo deals, huh.

I went down to the 500gb because it was suggested, so that i can go dual monitor. But i'm not too sure about that. I think i will look for some LCD 24 inch monitors and when i have some time in between school payments i'll try to get a second LCD or upgrade anything if suggested.

Yeah, it's a BIOS flash upgrade on the video card, i've heard of it. I wanted the 2gb card, gotta read up on that flash upgrade.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:41:12 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
He would need the 2GB version of the 6970 to flash it. That would drive price up about $50 (according to Newegg CA).


He already has the 6950 2GB version listed in his build..
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:47:27 AM

Frostey said:
On newegg, i'm paying more. >> Maybe i should look around for combo deals, huh.

I went down to the 500gb because it was suggested, so that i can go dual monitor. But i'm not too sure about that. I think i will look for some LCD 24 inch monitors and when i have some time in between school payments i'll try to get a second LCD or upgrade anything if suggested.

Yeah, it's a BIOS flash upgrade on the video card, i've heard of it. I wanted the 2gb card, gotta read up on that flash upgrade.


I don't like the second monitor idea. I find it distracting to have a bezel in the middle of my field of view. Much rather have a 3 monitor setup. Or even better, just one really big monitor! Anyway multi monitor setups are not for everyone and I really believe one really good monitor is a better choice.

According to TOMS, every 6950 they've BIOS modded has worked perfectly.

The F3 500GB I've been buying has been selling for $55. Getting a 1TB for $55 is a steal. And with the quality of the Samsungs, its worth twice that. Why not get a 1 TB at these prices? Another monitor will cost you quite a bit more...
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:49:25 AM

Frostey said:
On newegg, i'm paying more. >> Maybe i should look around for combo deals, huh.


The Newegg build I listed also uses a 2500k CPU and a P67 motherboard with 2 PCIe slots @ at least x8 (at least $50 increase from your site), has a 1TB HDD (you have a 500GB one selected), has a bigger and better PSU (one I selected is SILVER-Certified 750W, yours has no energy-efficiency certification and is 100W weaker to boot)...

If I wanted to completely match your build, part for part, it would probably be an easy $100 cheaper.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:53:52 AM

Frostey said:
On newegg, i'm paying more. >> Maybe i should look around for combo deals, huh.

I went down to the 500gb because it was suggested, so that i can go dual monitor. But i'm not too sure about that. I think i will look for some LCD 24 inch monitors and when i have some time in between school payments i'll try to get a second LCD or upgrade anything if suggested.

Yeah, it's a BIOS flash upgrade on the video card, i've heard of it. I wanted the 2gb card, gotta read up on that flash upgrade.


Samsung F3 1TB= $75CA
Samsung F3 2TB= $90CA

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory...
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:00:10 AM

Yeah, i'm going for one monitor (two monitors did sound a bit redundant). So all in all, i'm going for the 1TB 2500k CPU. Now, Newegg would be the better place to order from? A lot of people i know order from Newegg and i was actually looking at it as well. Might just go with newegg.

Is the Coolermaster PSU not good? i've heard good things about it from a lot of people (online, friends and store associates).




buzznut said:
Samsung F3 1TB= $75CA
Samsung F3 2TB= $90CA

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory...



I'll take your advice and ditch the seagate for the Samsung, no doubt.

m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:05:41 AM

Frostey said:
Yeah, i'm going for one monitor (two monitors did sound a bit redundant). So all in all, i'm going for the 1TB 2500k CPU. Now, Newegg would be the better place to order from? A lot of people i know order from Newegg and i was actually looking at it as well. Might just go with newegg.

Is the Coolermaster PSU not good? i've heard good things about it from a lot of people (online, friends and store associates).


If Newegg CA is anything like it is in the States (and I have heard nothing to indicate otherwise), it's a place with great prices, fast shipping, and good customer service.

And as for the PSU, note its efficiency:

Efficiency
> 70%

Compare that to the SILVER-Certified one I suggested:

Efficiency
Up to 88%

What does this mean? Here's some quick reading.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:28:21 AM

Frostey said:
All i've heard was good things about the Coolmaster, thanks for steering me straight!

My List, thanks to you guys!

Combo Deal Mobo/RAM

Better, i think. Any suggestions on how to make it cheaper? hehe.


Actually, for us to see your Wishlist, you need to make it public. We can't access it. However, there is a workaround:

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?...

I just took your Wishlist ID number and transplanted it into someone else's.

Anyways.

As your list is basically what I told you, of course I find it perfect... here's a thought, though, are there any cases you can find for cheaper? The Storm Scout's good, don't get me wrong.

EDIT: Here, snag a free copy of Shogun 2.

EDIT: Consider the HAF 912, I use one myself and it's excellent.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:30:53 AM

Oh, sorry, forgot to make it public. Thanks for helping out.

Yeah, i was thinking of going with another case, even though i do like the Storm scout. I'm open to ideas, if you've got any. I'm gonna look around myself as well.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:34:06 AM

Frostey said:
All i've heard was good things about the Coolmaster, thanks for steering me straight!

My List, thanks to you guys!

Combo Deal Mobo/RAM

Better, i think. Any suggestions on how to make it cheaper? hehe.


For me, those links just got me to the newegg home page. I have been using newegg for years and its my favorite place to shop. I can sometimes find stuff cheaper elsewhere but it usually goes with some shipping and /or customer service hassles. Bundling is always a good idea. Have you checked the DIY specials? I'd look at that.

A good example of a good coolermaster PSU:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-psu-efficien...
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:37:28 AM

Frostey said:
Oh, sorry, forgot to make it public. Thanks for helping out.

Yeah, i was thinking of going with another case, even though i do like the Storm scout. I'm open to ideas, if you've got any. I'm gonna look around myself as well.


If you like the looks, I'd go for the Storm Scout. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The HAF is a nice case, but most Coolermaster cases are pretty sweet.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:44:14 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?...


EDIT: Here, snag a free copy of Shogun 2.

EDIT: Consider the HAF 912, I use one myself and it's excellent.


I don't see the Shogun 2, just my shopping cart.

The HAF 912, i heard, was good as well. I might consider that one, saving $20 or so is always good. Thanks again for all the help guys! I might just get this setup by the end of the week and eventually get a monitor haha.

Any other concerns/suggestions? Cheaper would be better, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:44:43 AM

About the storm scout case i'm not sure how long the 6950 card is but I have a 5830 and it barley fits the card and because of the way they designed the card layout with the power plugs at the end, it goes into the dvd drive bay area.

It's almost impossible to crossfire without modifying the hard drive bay.

It's might be fine with 6950 though because the power plugs are on the side i believe, but still something to keep in mind.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:48:26 AM

Gamer-girl said:
About the storm scout case i'm not sure how long the 6950 card is but I have a 5830 and it barley fits the card and because of the way they designed the card layout with the power plugs at the end, it goes into the dvd drive bay area.

It's almost impossible to crossfire without modifying the hard drive bay.

It's might be fine with 6950 though because the power plugs are on the side i believe, but still something to keep in mind.


Irony! i was just reading up on that and it does not fit in it. So, sadly, i will have to find a new case. Might just go with the HAF 912 then.

Good thing i remembered how big the card was, and a reminder from Gamer-girl! Thanks!
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:50:35 AM

Frostey said:
Irony! i was just reading up on that and it does not fit in it. So, sadly, i will have to find a new case. Might just go with the HAF 912 then.

Good thing i remembered how big the card was, and a reminder from Gamer-girl! Thanks!


To fit a 6950 in the 912, you WILL have to remove the top HDD cage. If you ever intend to have 3 or more HDDs down the line, you might want something bigger.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:52:17 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
To fit a 6950 in the 912, you WILL have to remove the top HDD cage. If you ever intend to have 3 or more HDDs down the line, you might want something bigger.


Yeah, was just gonna look that up. Any suggestions on a case big enough for the card? Assuming the card is a good video card (which i'm sure it is).
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:55:25 AM

Frostey said:
Yeah, was just gonna look that up. Any suggestions on a case big enough for the card? Assuming the card is a good video card (which i'm sure it is).


The 912 is perfectly fine, again, if you don't see yourself getting more than 2 HDDs. It is MEANT to be modular (remove pieces as needed, etc.)

But if you foresee getting a ton of HDDs for some reason... well, try something a bit bigger.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 6:07:56 AM

Yeah, might just go with the 912. Would it be an easy, lets say, surgical procedure?
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 6:23:10 AM

Frostey said:
Yeah, might just go with the 912. Would it be an easy, lets say, surgical procedure?


Quoted from here
Quote:
The 4x3.5" hard drive cage can be removed by removing the four screws that attach it to the frame. Once removed, the two black plastic tabs can be compressed towards each other and will allow the drive cage to slide out. This can help with installing the drives as well as clear enough room for an extra large video card if necessary.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 6:28:50 AM

Thanks, I think i'll go with this rig here. Thanks a lot everyone, for your help. I appreciate it and thanks for baring with me. Hope i didn't irritate anyone too bad.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 6:50:09 AM

Frostey said:
Thanks, I think i'll go with this rig here. Thanks a lot everyone, for your help. I appreciate it and thanks for baring with me. Hope i didn't irritate anyone too bad.


No problem at all for me. In fact, you've been better than most people I help on other sites (as you are actually willing to put together your own instead of just going "I DUNNO HOW :( "
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 6:56:01 AM

Yeah, i just haven't been following computers recently, but was a junky in the past. So i know how to set it up as well. But i was wondering, how come not AMD? I've read AMD is good for pure gaming, and i see some of your setups on the site, people have AMD. Is it really gonna be obsolete in the coming months?
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:06:52 AM

Frostey said:
Yeah, i just haven't been following computers recently, but was a junky in the past. So i know how to set it up as well. But i was wondering, how come not AMD? I've read AMD is good for pure gaming, and i see some of your setups on the site, people have AMD. Is it really gonna be obsolete in the coming months?


Yes and no for what AMD was "for". AMD's strength was in solid performance-per-dollar -- they were usually more powerful for every cent spent than an equivalent Intel CPU, except for the highest-end models (but no one looking for a cost-efficient rig would be getting an i7 990x, ya know?). The problem is that Sandy Bridge is an incredibly low-priced architecture -- it's just about the best consumer CPU design to date, and it competes with AMD directly for pricing.

It's not 'obsolete', and I doubt it ever will be, but it definitely is not a good choice for performance-to-cost ratio for now. Maybe once Bulldozer comes out, we'll see AMD take back its value crown, but at this point I doubt it. It would take Intel making a stupid mistake like jacking up their prices again for AMD to gain its foothold again.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:20:13 AM

If you could recommend an AMD, which would it be?
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:27:01 AM

Frostey said:
If you could recommend an AMD, which would it be?


Unfortunately, I literally would not recommend an AMD CPU in good conscience at the present. Sandy Bridge is just too good to pass up. But if I had to recommend any single one... I guess the Phenom II X4 955. Too bad, here in the States the 965 (200MHz faster) is the same price.

EDIT: Not any more, must have been a temporary special.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:37:26 AM

Last question, thanks again for all the help. Really helpful. Would you recommend i go with Windows 7? or XP? I currently have both x64 bit.

EDIT: My friend wanted to go with an AMD, it's why i was asking. Thanks!
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:38:32 AM

Frostey said:
Last question, thanks again for all the help. Really helpful. Would you recommend i go with Windows 7? or XP? I currently have both x64 bit.


7, without a doubt.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:42:21 AM

Yeah, thought so. Dx11 will just be wild. Thanks again for the help, i'll be ringing this rig up very soon, i hope.
m
0
l
!