Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I just ordered an asrock extreme3 z68 gen3 and it seems to be having some issues with overclocking so I am going to send it back to newegg and get a new one. I thought I might aswell get an upgrade while I was at it looking at the asrock extreme4 z68 gen3 and the asus z68 pro 3 both at about the same price range. I can't decide which one is better. The system has an overclocked i5 with a single 560 ti with a probable 560 ti sli in the future. Which board would be better for what I'm going for, or is there even a difference between the lower extreme3 and these upgraded models.

Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I'll have to make some more attempts, I'm hoping its not the cpu. It was requiring some way high voltages for a low overclock to make it stable even for a bit in a prime run. Other then a possible shitty cpu though, is there any advantage to boosting up the mobo?

The most important thing to look for in an upgraded MB is the cpu power section. For example, Gigabyte, in their UD4 and 5 "upgraded" MBs, uses a 16 phase Digital VRM technology that performs way better when overclocking than their standard UD3 eight phase VRM.

So, look for a better power handling section.