Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer won't turn on, I got to be missing something?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 30, 2011 4:42:44 AM

So A few days ago my rig's psu failed and took my mobo with it, even together none of the two parts were horribly expensive so I chalked it up to bad luck and got a new one of each. Here's my problem now that I have rebuilt my rig the system won't start at all, no lights, no fans nothing. I highly doubt that the psu is faulty it's an antec 650w green bronze, and the board doesn't show any signs that it might be damaged either. I am sure I have hooked up everything right, however I don't really have a way to check the psu or board because I am lacking spare parts atm. I suppose that my cpu could be gone but I really don't feel like that's the case. In addition I've taken the step of reseating everything and my powerstrip is telling me that the psu is drawing power.

Here's my rig,
Phenom II x4 B55
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G mobo
Xigmatek Loki cooler
G-skill DDR3 1333 2x2gb
WD caviar blue 500gb HDD
Lite-on 24X DVDR/RW
Antec 650w green cert bronze

I haven't hooked my new graphics card yet so it doesn't need to be worried about, What could my problem be? I know I must be missing something but what? Could it be something with my el cheapo case?

More about : computer turn missing

March 30, 2011 5:05:11 AM

fools79 said:
So A few days ago my rig's psu failed and took my mobo with it, even together none of the two parts were horribly expensive so I chalked it up to bad luck and got a new one of each. Here's my problem now that I have rebuilt my rig the system won't start at all, no lights, no fans nothing. I highly doubt that the psu is faulty it's an antec 650w green bronze, and the board doesn't show any signs that it might be damaged either. I am sure I have hooked up everything right, however I don't really have a way to check the psu or board because I am lacking spare parts atm. I suppose that my cpu could be gone but I really don't feel like that's the case. In addition I've taken the step of reseating everything and my powerstrip is telling me that the psu is drawing power.

Here's my rig,
Phenom II x4 B55
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G mobo
Xigmatek Loki cooler
G-skill DDR3 1333 2x2gb
WD caviar blue 500gb HDD
Lite-on 24X DVDR/RW
Antec 650w green cert bronze

I haven't hooked my new graphics card yet so it doesn't need to be worried about, What could my problem be? I know I must be missing something but what? Could it be something with my el cheapo case?
Turn the power switch on at the back of the power supply. If that doesn't help, check to see that the case's power button is connected to the proper pins.

If both of those check out, try swapping out the power button for the reset button and using that for a power button, since bad buttons happen too!
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:17:31 AM

I am not quite so absentminded to not check the psu's power switch. I will double check the power button asap, how would I swap the hdd power button with the standard power button, just place it on the other pins? This is really bugging me. Arrggg
m
0
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 5:27:31 AM

fools79 said:
I am not quite so absentminded to not check the psu's power switch. I will double check the power button asap, how would I swap the hdd power button with the standard power button, just place it on the other pins? This is really bugging me. Arrggg
You mean the power and reset buttons? I'll tell you what, if you're CAREFUL you can simply connect the two power button pins with a screwdriver. One touch should turn it on.

Of course, if you touch the 5v power LED pin to one of the power button pins, you can destroy the board...
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 5:42:29 AM

Any ways to jump start the board without risking destroying my new board? Also when I turn on the psu the fan doesn't start up on it either, could I have a short or something somewhere.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:14:18 AM

fools79 said:
Any ways to jump start the board without risking destroying my new board? Also when I turn on the psu the fan doesn't start up on it either, could I have a short or something somewhere.
Yes, you could have a short between the case and the motherboard, and a protection circuit could be preventing it from powering up. In that case, you would try to build the system outside the case and test start it.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 7:20:16 AM

Can some one provide me with a guide for (isn't it called breadboarding?) this? is anything else I should try first? Is it likely that my cpu or ram is damaged? If my HDD was screwed up would that effect it?
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 8:32:35 AM

fools79 said:
Can some one provide me with a guide for (isn't it called breadboarding?) this? is anything else I should try first? Is it likely that my cpu or ram is damaged? If my HDD was screwed up would that effect it?
If your HDD had a blown controller causing a short, it could. I wrote a guide in the motherboard's section, it used to be sticky.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 8:41:15 AM

Had this exact issue last week, and turned out the motherboard was DOA.

sounds liek either your Mobo or PSU is bad. you can;'t really be sure without someone else loaning you their system to check though.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 9:05:15 AM

I quick question on breadboarding, does it matter if the wood has varnish? I also have an esd mat should I use that?
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 11:41:04 AM

You guys aren't going to believe this it was the one thing I didn't think to check... the power cord! I would have never though of this if it wasn't for my gf who kept saying what haven't you checked. At first I thought naaa, but then I was like well what else could effect the psu, grabbed a cord of an old crt display and boom there it is. Just placed an order on newegg for a new cord. wow
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2011 7:33:02 PM

haha, typical.

glad you got it fixed.
m
0
l
!