GPU vs CPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2011 8:54:31 PM

Folks,
I have been playing Microsoft's Flight Sim X for some time using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 GPU with unsatisfactory results. Frame rates between 20 to less than 10 in higher density scenery, with shimmering foliage and jagged straight lines that move a a lot. So, I decided to upgrade my GPU to XFX HD 6870 expecting my problem to be solved. But, alas, performance is not noticeably better with the latest driver installed and operating correctly and old drivers removed. The XFX folks claim it's not the GPU but the CPU (I920 @ 2.67 G). Can this be true and can anything be done?
Thanks, Roland
Win 7 64 bit
MB EGVA X58 SLI LE
MEM 6G
GPU Radeon HD 6870 (1G)
PS Corsair 750 W

More about : gpu cpu

a c 214 U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 8:56:15 PM

What type of "i" series CPU do you have?
m
l
a c 302 U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 9:19:44 PM

wildblueyonder said:
Folks,
I have been playing Microsoft's Flight Sim X for some time using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 GPU with unsatisfactory results. Frame rates between 20 to less than 10 in higher density scenery, with shimmering foliage and jagged straight lines that move a a lot. So, I decided to upgrade my GPU to XFX HD 6870 expecting my problem to be solved. But, alas, performance is not noticeably better with the latest driver installed and operating correctly and old drivers removed. The XFX folks claim it's not the GPU but the CPU (I920 @ 2.67 G). Can this be true and can anything be done?
Thanks, Roland
Win 7 64 bit
MB EGVA X58 SLI LE
MEM 6G
GPU Radeon HD 6870 (1G)
PS Corsair 750 W

It is my understanding that FSX is one of the few games that is cpu bound, and multi core enabled.
You should check on one of the FSX forums where you will likely get more informed advice.
Check that you have updated FSX properly, and that you have selected the proper performance options.
As I recall, that is not so simple.

Lastly, you can OC a i7-920 very easily to 3.3. Just change the BCLK in the bios from the default of 133 to 160. Leave everything else on auto.
Higher OC is possible with great cooling.
m
l
January 25, 2011 10:05:13 PM

purple stank said:
What type of "i" series CPU do you have?

I920 @ 2.67GHz
m
l
January 25, 2011 10:10:30 PM

geofelt said:
It is my understanding that FSX is one of the few games that is cpu bound, and multi core enabled.
You should check on one of the FSX forums where you will likely get more informed advice.
Check that you have updated FSX properly, and that you have selected the proper performance options.
As I recall, that is not so simple.

Lastly, you can OC a i7-920 very easily to 3.3. Just change the BCLK in the bios from the default of 133 to 160. Leave everything else on auto.
Higher OC is possible with great cooling.

Geofelt,
Thanks for the advice. I will pursue the FSX forum. I have tried to OC my CPU in the past but the MB objects and forces me to reset to defaults. I don't believe I had everything on auto so I'll give it another try.
wildblueyonder
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 10:36:38 PM

Most video games rely on the CPU jsut as much as the GPU.Although you have an i7,it needs to be faster.Like geofelt said,try O.C.ing.Without it i'm afraid your 6870 may suffer.
m
l
!